Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

The ornaments are random and weird. What exactly are they supposed to be?

From what I remember from the rendering posted on here, they will have cables running through them. I can't say for sure that they are ornamental or support cables, but they appeared in the pictures to be functional.

Is there another half to this bridge? It doesn't look very long.

I don't believe that what we see here is even half of the bridge. It will need to be much longer or the rail yards will be littered with injured pedestrians.

The ornaments are random and weird. What exactly are they supposed to be?

Here's a video about another work by this artist, named earlier in the thread as the bridge design artist, one of several of his large sculptures located in Toronto:

http://inkblotmedia.ca/films/the-long-voyage-of-barca-volante

Perpetual Motion is another of his works, recently installed in Liberty Village:

http://toronto.openfile.ca/blog/news/2011/mystery-liberty-village-monument-explained

The next big Art Cage Match will be between Shayne Dark and Francisco Gazuita - just as in the 1970s it was between Kosso Eloul and Sorel Etrog ( Eloul won ).

Which artist is responsible for the big orange triangle thing? I think that's slightly better, I just wish it wasn't orange.

It's interesting, the shape and colour makes me think that this is meant to be a banana, but the skeletal structure of it is clearly a nod to industrial functional design. Could this be then, suggestive of a giant banana created in the age of mechanical reproduction? If so I would have to say that the artist takes a dim view of genetically modified foods. Regardless I find this "modernist banana" singularly affecting.

I don't like those decorations on top either so far

Are we sure they are just decorations? There were definitely what looked to be support cables running through them in the rendering. They at least appear to be functional:

CityPlaceBridge3.jpg

Last edited:
That rendering is funny, the ramp is now opposit of what's shown there. It runs towards us, not away.

I think the rendering in Bruvyman's post is of the south, CityPlace end.

Assuming I'm right, I'm actually not a fan that they decided to have the southern end ramped down westward towards Dan Leckie Way... ramping down eastward could have dropped bridge users right at the end of the straight corridor that runs between the two halves of Parade down to that cluster of fishing float sculptures at Canoe Landing park, which is probably a more appealing pedestrian route. (Of course, ideally they could have access in both directions.)

I think the rendering in Bruvyman's post is of the south, CityPlace end.

Assuming I'm right, I'm actually not a fan that they decided to have the southern end ramped down westward towards Dan Leckie Way... ramping down eastward could have dropped bridge users right at the end of the straight corridor that runs between the two halves of Parade down to that cluster of fishing float sculptures at Canoe Landing park, which is probably a more appealing pedestrian route. (Of course, ideally they could have access in both directions.)

Completely agree with you .... As I said earlier in this thread, it would be quite dramatic to exit from the bridge underneath the skybridge and then find yourself in apark surrounded by giant bobbers!

Pics taken July 21, 2011

One hot day...

A pic with a worker on deck. Shows just how big/wide this thing is. And that is one big handrail...

For now it looks like the wires on top are decorative.

IXxGG.jpg

Shot of the current formwork on the North side ramp.

PQs5B.jpg

Back