Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

As promised, the bridge construction has begun!

Looking out my window, there are crews clearing the rail yard of spare track, some are working on the retaining wall by the bridge footings, others are on the Front Street side where the bridge will meet Front, and then there are trucks along Front unloading concrete barriers to divert traffic around the bridge construction.

Woohooo!

Are you sure it has to do with the bridge and not the track replacement project?

Are you sure it has to do with the bridge and not the track replacement project?

The track replacement is waiting for the bridge to be constructed, as the bridge is being built in the railway corridor. Its definitely for the bridge.

Here is a pic I took yesterday morning of the two lonely piers awaiting some form of life...

bridgejune5.jpg

Great news, and sorry guys.. but to me this one makes more sense.

Not to start anything here, but wouldn't the most ideal situation be that we got both bridges? Leaving aside of course, that this one has nothing to do with the budget and is purely part of the contract drawn up between Concord and the City which allowed the former to build on the latter's land. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Some pics of the crew doing prep work that I took earlier:

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

Cutting up and removing the old tracks that have been sitting there for months
IMG_2726.jpg

That stretch of Front looks like East Hamilton. I really hope the city does some beautification soon. I see some "real" retail in its future with the added pedestrian traffic from CityPlace.

That stretch of Front looks like East Hamilton. I really hope the city does some beautification soon. I see some "real" retail in its future with the added pedestrian traffic from CityPlace.

It reminds me of the stretch of King between Queen and Dundurn personally. Probably because of the months of doing the commute down that stretch.

It's hard to get any real good neighbourhood going with one half of the street literally missing because of the tracks. Another reason why somehow putting something akin to a roof over the tracks, and turning it into a park or something else would really improve the look and feel of Front street west of Spadina.

So when will this be built?

This month.

Hoarding has now gone up on the concrete barriers that were dropped off on Front Street, where the bridge will connect with Draper Street. Stairs have also been installed.

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

If you plan on going to take pictures... watch out! There are birds guarding the construction site. They have been swooping in to hit people walking along the Northern Linear Park at Capreol Court. This guy had some trouble crossing, but successfully made it through after several attempts, and a nice fall to the ground. The two black specks are the birds coming in for a final hit:

IMG_2731.jpg

Whats the plan for the south-side of Frontst. from Spadina to Bathurst...it sure would be nice to at least have a sidewalk.:confused:

I hope so too!

Its going to be hard to monitor this project, as all the work is being done at night. Crews are currently working on the footings for the bridge:
IMG_2743.jpg

Back