Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

I know this is a dangerous topic and I was just speaking the obvious since I know personally people who are milking the system and block 31 is just an example of luxurious estate for people on welfare. Block 32 and Block 36 seem like a reasonable spot but Block 31 just pissed me off.

why all the angry responds against me, it's just a comment. If you don't agree you can ignore or explain why instead saying it "nonsense".

Sorry if I offend anyone, but it's just a system i believe in, work hard=better life.
don't work hard = bad life. So if this formula gets mess around, it drives me crazy. (you know, those with sweet moth in the corporate world gets promoted and you know they are lazy drives me crazy)

You evidently haven't "worked hard" on your spelling and grammar skills.

All good but....

I don't think building above average quality residential for lower income people is a slap in my face.

I think it shows something that we can build housing that isn't shitty looking or made with inferior materials because the occupants are poor. Wishing it otherwise tells me something about the mindset behind hoping that this was indeed the case.

Basically, this comes off as since you're poor then you deserve the absolute worst that we can offer when building housing for you.

Why are we allowing ourselves to be bogged down with this kind of negative discussion, that pleases nobody? Shouldn't this talk be moved to the politics section? We have way more interesting and important things to bitch about, like Metropolis! :D

Yes.....

Metropolis. We need to bomb this monstrosity which just makes me want to vomit every time I walk down past it. It's time.

I know this is a dangerous topic and I was just speaking the obvious since I know personally people who are milking the system and block 31 is just an example of luxurious estate for people on welfare.

Tell us about these people you personally know who are milking the system. You are supposed to meet specific criteria to get welfare.

What cities are better for not having welfare?

There are many people who milk the system but you can't blame the people who use the system legitimately because of those people. It would be like hating new buildings being built because many working on the construction site are contractors getting paid under the table and don't claim the right amounts on their taxes. It would be like hating small businesses because some don't handle sales tax properly. It would be like hating large businesses because there are some lazy CEOs and some shady accounting in some of those businesses. It would be like being against people who listen to music because some people download MP3s illegally.

We can't stop everything because some people might take advantage of it.

Hey Rango! Why don't you have all us UTers over to your apartment and explain your thoughts in person.....and stock your fridge with beer!

I know this is a dangerous topic and I was just speaking the obvious since I know personally people who are milking the system and block 31 is just an example of luxurious estate for people on welfare. Block 32 and Block 36 seem like a reasonable spot but Block 31 just pissed me off.

why all the angry responds against me, it's just a comment. If you don't agree you can ignore or explain why instead saying it "nonsense".

Sorry if I offend anyone, but it's just a system i believe in, work hard=better life.
don't work hard = bad life. So if this formula gets mess around, it drives me crazy. (you know, those with sweet moth in the corporate world gets promoted and you know they are lazy drives me crazy)

i think we can all agree that there are bad apples in all parts of society.

in your example, would it not be more beneficial to call the fraud/abuse hotline and inform them of the people you know and provide details to support the case?

Exactly. Name me a system that isn't milked? That's hardly an argument for putting RGI units away from what some consider prime property

Metropolis. We need to bomb this monstrosity which just makes me want to vomit every time I walk down past it. It's time.

See, that's what I mean, save the passionate hatred for deserving projects like Metropolis! Funny thing is, when the city builds ugly buildings we moan and groan about how they are destroying the city but when they build decent buildings, we moan and groan about why are they making the building so nice. I guess if your the city, you can never win.

I think every single building should be a great building. I don't care what use the building has, if I have to look at it, I want it to be beautiful! (or at least interesting/original)

There is also an additional reason for TCHC to have buildings that are well constructed- unlike condo developers, who can more or less wash their hands off projects after completion, TCHC has to pay for maintenance costs for the entire lifecycle of the building.

AoD

Cityplace

There is also an additional reason for TCHC to have buildings that are well constructed- unlike condo developers, who can more or less wash their hands off projects after completion, TCHC has to pay for maintenance costs for the entire lifecycle of the building.

AoD

A great point and on topic.

My main concern is that the walkway from Spadina to Dan Leckie Way be open so residents west of Spadina can access a safe way to the lake. (through the new park)

I don't think building above average quality residential for lower income people is a slap in my face.

I think it shows something that we can build housing that isn't shitty looking or made with inferior materials because the occupants are poor. Wishing it otherwise tells me something about the mindset behind hoping that this was indeed the case.

Basically, this comes off as since you're poor then you deserve the absolute worst that we can offer when building housing for you.

Well for me I feel that if I just paid for building using my life saving and found out that across you is low income paying less than you and get better view is quite a slap to me.

I find some of the comparison to be unfarir, CEO milking and people stealing Mp3 is not something that we all have paid for. If you decide to pay for the MP3, then you feel great and that is your own welfare. The music industry just like the government, needs to change and adopt. Music company now make money on Concerts and Government charge tariff on Blank CDs to compensate for the loss. Store like itune store pop up allowing people enjoy more music then just buying whole album that they don't need. CEO milking the company is the investor's own judgment, and can opt out if you want, but not tax paying.

The tax we paid to government is what is used to support the welfare that is a slap on your face when it is used against you.
I agree on welfare if used correctly and fairly and Canadian should feel rewarded if they work hard.

Let just drop this, as this is getting out of hand.
Let's just hope the development of the TCHC will not be detrimental to the value of the properties at City place. Most of us at City place are young investor, and just really hope we don't get burned.....especially the government.

Well for me I feel that if I just paid for building using my life saving and found out that across you is low income paying less than you and get better view is quite a slap to me.

I find some of the comparison to be unfarir, CEO milking and people stealing Mp3 is not something that we all have paid for. If you decide to pay for the MP3, then you feel great and that is your own welfare. The music industry just like the government, needs to change and adopt. Music company now make money on Concerts and Government charge tariff on Blank CDs to compensate for the loss. Store like itune store pop up allowing people enjoy more music then just buying whole album that they don't need. CEO milking the company is the investor's own judgment, and can opt out if you want, but not tax paying.

The tax we paid to government is what is used to support the welfare that is a slap on your face when it is used against you.
I agree on welfare if used correctly and fairly and Canadian should feel rewarded if they work hard.

Let just drop this, as this is getting out of hand.
Let's just hope the development of the TCHC will not be detrimental to the value of the properties at City place. Most of us at City place are young investor, and just really hope we don't get burned.....especially the government.

Well then it seems we all agree; just to different degrees...

Oops....

I made a mistake in my post.

I meant to say that building with above quality for low income people isn't a slap in my face. My bad. I still get the impression that some people want to see poor people suffer though. You know, you're poor so therefore you barely deserve anything of quality that's provided for you.

An interesting theory I've heard talked about more than once is that deep inside, we all fear ending up with having less and becoming poor and so we make ourselves feel better by bashing those with less.

I think a lot more of us are closer to that edge than we care to admit.

A more interesting theory I read about is this.

That since caste(for want of a better word) systems were abolished in north america(began in the states) and in theory everyone has equal opportunity to make something of themselves, there is a lot more stress and anxiey now than in the past.

Since people are always comparing themselves and what they have with those of others such as their neighbors.

Basically, if you think you don't measure up, it's your fault and shame on you. And if you done well for yourself then you can't stand back and be content. You still have to have more. You must want more.

Is it any wonder that so many of us are unhappy and just don't understand why? We live in a culture where having less is horrible and a curse which is also you're own fault but to be content with having less and not wanting to accumulate more is just plain wacky.

I live a simple and much less materialistic life and it doesn't bother me. I think I hear sirens and see men with white jackets now walking up to my door.

Last edited:

Back