Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Really, give the guy a break. He's just expressing his frustration. It is a big real estate investment, and he believes the building will compromise it. He's probably not the person you think he is.

Last edited:
My issue with all this is not that fact that they will be building a low-income building (it will work fine if properly integrated into Cityplace), but the fact that they planned to build a 32-storey in a 9-storey-limit piece of land, and now wants to build a 43-storey. From a 9-storey limit to a 43-storey is a huge jump. Plus why does all the low-income units have to be all in one thin 43-storey building, while the rest of the buildings on the block are like 3-storey high? Why can't they spread it out a bit, make everybody happy about the view?

I agree, why build it so high I think 30 floors is already high for a low income housing. If they intend to have more Park space they should not make the place so crowded.

I was told that there will only be a school built in front of the building, that is why I bought the unit, because never though a 43 floor building. I checked
below link, and I don't see block 31 tower 2...so there is still chance it won's get approved to have 43 floor? I am crossing my fingers!! Does anyone know there is a chance it might be a lower building, or is it finalized and dark and gloom for my future Lake view.
http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=company&id=119329

Depending exactly where you're located facing west, it will just block your park view and your view of Etobicoke. However you should still be able to see the lake depending how far north you're facing west. I think only a portion of it will actually be allocated for Rent-geared-rental. They will probably sell off half if not as market price condo units. They haven't started building yet so costs will continue going up. By the time they are close to finish building and start selling units, the starting price will be over $450 psf. One cole is selling at $393+ psf. I think that's a TCHC building? I do find it too tall as well, however if the city is the one building it, I think they would give themselves permit to do it without discussion.

Really, give the guy a break. He's just expressing his frustration. It is a big real estate investment, and he believes the building will compromise it. He's probably not the person you think he is.

Thanks TOboy. I am really just frustrated, and I have nothing against unfortunates individuals who has to live in a Gov. subsidized building. It's just that living in To for so many years, i realized there are lot of people who actually lie about their situation gets to live in places that people are paying thousands. With that added to my current situation, i feel that if I acted poor I can get a better view where I paid extra for.

I know I should be grateful for what I have, but honestly, would any of you actually not be frustrated, and try to seek others that have the same issue and get together and try to think of something we can do. It is my hard earn money i am talking about, and i feel i just got robbed by the government....on top of all the crazy tax that we pay!!!

i can just hope there is a chance i might clear the last tower for the other building.

Depending exactly where you're located facing west, it will just block your park view and your view of Etobicoke. However you should still be able to see the lake depending how far north you're facing west. I think only a portion of it will actually be allocated for Rent-geared-rental. They will probably sell off half if not as market price condo units. They haven't started building yet so costs will continue going up. By the time they are close to finish building and start selling units, the starting price will be over $450 psf. One cole is selling at $393+ psf. I think that's a TCHC building? I do find it too tall as well, however if the city is the one building it, I think they would give themselves permit to do it without discussion.

Hi AKS, thanks for your insight, but I think the first five floors are actually high ceiling since it will be a school or library. so I think it might be higher than my current floor. sigh...so stressed that I can not sleep because i don;t know if I should keep for sell. I do Love the current View.

Thanks TOboy. I am really just frustrated, and I have nothing against unfortunates individuals who has to live in a Gov. subsidized building. It's just that living in To for so many years, i realized there are lot of people who actually lie about their situation gets to live in places that people are paying thousands. With that added to my current situation, i feel that if I acted poor I can get a better view where I paid extra for.

I know I should be grateful for what I have, but honestly, would any of you actually not be frustrated, and try to seek others that have the same issue and get together and try to think of something we can do. It is my hard earn money i am talking about, and i feel i just got robbed by the government....on top of all the crazy tax that we pay!!!

i can just hope there is a chance i might clear the last tower for the other building.

And what if it were to be a normal market rate condo building just like the one you're living in ... would you sell your property and move to the adjacent building?

Hi AKS, thanks for your insight, but I think the first five floors are actually high ceiling since it will be a school or library. so I think it might be higher than my current floor. sigh...so stressed that I can not sleep because i don;t know if I should keep for sell. I do Love the current View.

The school and library is 9 stories located on the north plot. The 43 story building is located on the southern plot of the land, hence your park view will be blocked. If you're located directly west, you should be able to see the lake still and fireworks. However your view of Panorama might be covered. Not a big issue. Did you look down on the land and imagine the building rising in front of you? You will see what I mean.

The rent geared to income is unavoidable, but it allows large families a chance to live in a nice area whereas it might be impossible. Also they have to pay rent and not everyone can choose to live there. There's a huge line for TCHC buildings. So it's luck of the draw whoever gets to stay there. However you have to consider you are renting instead of owning as well. If you want, you can buy a unit there once it's near completion at market prices (whatever market price that is in a few years). I doubt it will be any cheaper than the price you purchased it for unless it's a crazy amount. If you were to purchase there on 40+ floor or higher, it might be $500+ psf or more.

Last edited:
The school and library is 9 stories located on the north plot. The 43 story building is located on the southern plot of the land, hence your park view will be blocked. If you're located directly west, you should be able to see the lake still and fireworks. However your view of Panorama might be covered. Not a big issue. Did you look down on the land and imagine the building rising in front of you? You will see what I mean.

The rent geared to income is unavoidable, but it allows large families a chance to live in a nice area whereas it might be impossible. Also they have to pay rent and not everyone can choose to live there. There's a huge line for TCHC buildings. So it's luck of the draw whoever gets to stay there. However you have to consider you are renting instead of owning as well. If you want, you can buy a unit there once it's near completion at market prices (whatever market price that is in a few years). I doubt it will be any cheaper than the price you purchased it for unless it's a crazy amount. If you were to purchase there on 40+ floor or higher, it might be $500+ psf or more.

Thanks again, actually i am the owner and not renting and I did pay a bit more of premium since it's on the 50th. I am hoping the value will keep on going up after the new building is erected. Someone did mention the value might go up because of the surrounding development. (Sobey, school, park, library and if there is Direct TTC subway access it would be perfect!!) I see the development sketch and it look like it will block the complete West side of West one, but since you said it should not I do feel a lot better. The park view is not as important as the Lake view and the sunset. I also feel bad for anyone that is blocked below me since we all paid good money.

west one is 155M??> 132M of the TCHC building so 44 floor is 155-13M(8.5foot=2.6Metersx5)= 142M :)) ...I though West one is shorter....but if it is true, i am much more relieved.

The west view will get blocked, but west is where the park is so unless you are looking for a park view. Lake is on the south end, so you will see the lake on the south if you walk out to your balcony window. As for the sunset, it might get blocked by Parade 2 if anything and doesn't affect you by TCHC buildings.
Like I said, you can opt to sell West One and buy at the TCHC building. It won't be all that much cheaper at market prices. One Cole started at $393 psf and each level increased by around $500. So you can estimate the price for higher levels and factor in market price increases. As for subway station, it's unlikely. There's no space in the area nor plans for a subway station. There are plans for an LRT along bremner to union station, however I'm not too sure how that's going. Bremner isn't a very wide street to both support cars and an LRT unless they make it a single line going both ways or two line one way street.

Back