Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I like the colour banding that is appearing on many new buildings (i.e. The Paintbox). If you look closely you can see orange on the north-facing walls of the balconies (third photo down). Also, the new medium-sized, multi-purpose arts venue will be a welcome addition to an area dominated by large halls. Photos taken 28 February 2013

IMG_3195_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3194_1-L.jpg

IMG_3199_1-XL.jpg

Am I right in thinking that the alleyway here is going to be lined with one or two retail space?

IMG_3197_1-XL.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice looking parking garage, but for Toronto I'm inclined to agree with innsertnamehere. Best looking garage in the city, for what that's worth.

Am I right in thinking that the alleyway here is going to be lined with one or two retail space?

IMG_3197_1-XL.jpg

This small, intimate space would make a perfect retail/restaurant arcade. I don't know if that is the plan but with the popularity of Melbourne's arcades/alleys, you would think that developers would take advantage of those opportunities. I hope that's what happens. It shouldn't be lined with one or two spaces, it should be more like 6 to 10 different businesses, all packed in there. (some small art galleries would be nice)

Last edited:
Some little awnings and cafe tables along there would be cool in some ways, but unfortunately it's very dark and could also get quite windy I would imagine. I know of the areas in Melbourne you refer to but they weave around and between much shorter buildings than the ones we are building, I believe.

But keep fighting the good fight... downtown needs more intimate spaces as we continue to build such large buildings that replace the wonder of small laneways, and nooks and crannies. I know the laneway running through the Downtown Yonge BIA (behind ING Direct) is one possible space where this has been considered, and of course Yorkville does it very well (but is also coming under threat from development).

Some little awnings and cafe tables along there would be cool in some ways, but unfortunately it's very dark and could also get quite windy I would imagine. I know of the areas in Melbourne you refer to but they weave around and between much shorter buildings than the ones we are building, I believe.

But keep fighting the good fight... downtown needs more intimate spaces as we continue to build such large buildings that replace the wonder of small laneways, and nooks and crannies. I know the laneway running through the Downtown Yonge BIA (behind ING Direct) is one possible space where this has been considered, and of course Yorkville does it very well (but is also coming under threat from development).

meh nothing in Yorkville in a true laneway (there are a few) is under development threat.

Where is the retail in this project planed for ?

Maybe not right now but those Yorkville laneways are going to disappear very soon. It's almost inevitable, given how development plays out in this city.

The retail in this project runs along the perimeter of the building on Widmer and Adelaide, along with an Artscape theatre space.

Old York Lane deserves designation to protect itself from future development. Although with all the activity around in Yorkville, it's impossible to predict what will happen in the future.

Regarding the charming alleys in Melbourne, I recently saw this great photo tour posted on SSP featuring those. I think the closest we have are Old York Lane and the Distillery. King West (of Spadina) has the best chance of creating similar areas. It's too bad the CKW proposal is no longer happening.

From the Final Application to the city in 2009:
A block plan was developed as a result of the charrette, which recommended greater special separation of the towers in each of the proposals, developing the laneways between projects as pedestrian-friendly spaces, creating mid-block pedestrian connectivity, and connected service areas for the parking, loading and garbage.

A plan of the first level and what looks like patio seating for the restaurant along the laneway.

image-L.jpg

Last edited:

Back