Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I don't know if Burj Khalifa is all that well known outside of skyscraper nerd circles.
Oh no it is very well known - once you get to second and third place it gets less recognized but generally most people know about the burj.

Last edited:
Oh no it is very well known - once you get to second and third place it gets less recognized by generally most people know about the burj.
I guarantee you I could show a picture of it to my friends and family and be lucky to get one person who recognized it, much less be able to tell me what is was called or what city it was in.

I guarantee you I could show a picture of it to my friends and family and be lucky to get one person who recognized it, much less be able to tell me what is was called or what city it was in.
Pretty much everyone i know knows it and where it is. They're def not skyscraper or geo nerds either

The only iconic buildings in Toronto which have global recognition are: The CN Tower and Toronto City Hall which are by themselves a stretch.

You can show any person in the world a picture of Empire State Building and they know its in New York, or Picture of Sears Tower and they know its Chicago, or Burj Khalifa and they know its Dubai.

Toronto City Hall...doubt many Star Trek viewers could tell thats Toronto :)

View attachment 306841
We also have project under construction known as Sugar Worf...

Spring is here!
0DF40D55-8D2A-420E-B3DB-7D7061D297D8.jpeg

Are they still incorporating some sort of skating pad?
BD874F3F-C8E9-4ED3-AFC9-DC0AAEBC67B6.jpeg

0E77FE1D-E2A1-4484-AF28-5AB9ECF1A4D2.jpeg

Phase 2
1 Front loading dock and canopy removed.
BAE6F2A6-040E-46F5-993E-A10C884D2AE9.jpeg

Chrysler building is absolutely a symbol of New York as well imo. The superslims are becoming more of a symbol (no other city in the world has buildings like them so you see them and even if you dont know the building you automatically go ohh that's New York.

Certainly if none of those 1WTC is an icon of New York. The vessel is also becoming more and more well known, that's just my two cents though.

I personally think that people know of more buildings than they realise, and can identify a city without just that one main iconic building.

Though I agree CIBC will likely never become a symbol of Toronto.

The only iconic buildings in Toronto which have global recognition are: The CN Tower and Toronto City Hall which are by themselves a stretch.

You can show any person in the world a picture of Empire State Building and they know its in New York, or Picture of Sears Tower and they know its Chicago, or Burj Khalifa and they know its Dubai.

Toronto City Hall...doubt many Star Trek viewers could tell thats Toronto :)

View attachment 306841

Sears/Willis isn't *that* iconic either - certainly not in the order of Empire State. You can also apply the "disaster movie test" on buildings to see if they are potential icons - if they had been destroyed in a blockbuster movie, then yep. If not, forget-about-it.

AoD

Last edited:
Sears/Willis isn't *that* iconic either - certainly not in the order of Empire State. You can also apply the "disaster movie test" on buildings to see if they are potential icons - if they had been destroyed in a blockbuster movie, then yep. If not, forget-about-it.

AoD
I mean between transformers and marvel movies, I think every tall building on the planet has been destroyed at this point.

Back