Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
1615998566653.png

not seen this one before ?

hoping these towers become an Iconic symbol of Toronto like the CN tower

New York has a thousand Iconic things - we only have a couple - arguably just one if you're talking about the international view, the CN tower
I'd say Toronto's iconic buildings currently consist of, CN tower, Roger's center, First canadian place and Scotia center (idk if that's the right name, tall red building) additional the ROM is pretty iconic.

When CIBC square is finished it may broach iconic territory, though more likely I think itll be that building that's not quite iconic but when you see it on the skyline photos u go, dangggg that's a nice looking building.

Toronto is about to have a bunch more iconic buildings though. The ONE, Pinnacle One, M+G and Union Park (especially since its directly behind Roger's center) will all become iconic. Other buildings that are also propsed that could absolutely become iconic. I'd hazard to guess M3 at M city will also become an iconic building.

I'd say Toronto's iconic buildings currently consist of, CN tower, Roger's center, First canadian place and Scotia center (idk if that's the right name, tall red building) additional the ROM is pretty iconic.

When CIBC square is finished it may broach iconic territory, though more likely I think itll be that building that's not quite iconic but when you see it on the skyline photos u go, dangggg that's a nice looking building.

Toronto is about to have a bunch more iconic buildings though. The ONE, Pinnacle One, M+G and Union Park (especially since its directly behind Roger's center) will all become iconic. Other buildings that are also propsed that could absolutely become iconic. I'd hazard to guess M3 at M city will also become an iconic building.
Haha, don't forget the smaller ones being built
...if done right, KING TORONTO being built by B.I.G. will be the next iconic project in Toronto
regarding the above list, i think just M+G and maybe The ONE will be classified as iconic

Haha, don't forget the smaller ones being built
...if done right, KING TORONTO being built by B.I.G. will be the next iconic project in Toronto
regarding the above list, i think just M+G and maybe The ONE will be classified as iconic
You're right I totally forget about KING. Absolutely agree if it's done right it will be iconic.

I think union park will be iconic simply becasue of how itll be apart or the postcard view directly behind Roger's center. On their own they might not have been but because they're right in there with the CN tower and Roger's center they'll become an unmistakable object of the Toronto skyline.

hoping these towers become an Iconic symbol of Toronto like the CN tower

New York has a thousand Iconic things - we only have a couple - arguably just one if you're talking about the international view, the CN tower

Correction - Toronto had just one international landmark.. then they scuppered Captain John's.

Back to the conversation about “iconic” sites for a moment... The obvious problem in discussing this is that there is no standard definition of an iconic structure. But let me propose a working definition that might bear some thought. An iconic building or site is the focus of a view that can serve as an establishing shot identifying a city in a movie. The moviegoers see the shot and many or most of them can say to themselves, “That’s Paris or London or...”. So, for example, a shot of the Eiffel Tower identifies Paris or of Tower Bridge says London. The only structure in Toronto with a chance of doing that in a movie is the CN Tower, IMO.

There aren’t that many iconic sites in New York either, using that kind of definition. There is the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building (which is the King Kong of iconic structures.) Add in Central Park, Times Square and maybe Rockefeller Plaza in the Christmas season. There are probably others but not as many as one might think. For example, Wall Street is an iconic concept but I had to Google it to remind myself of what it actually looked like.

Maybe this is too restrictive a definition and I for one would be interested in hearing other ideas. But by any definition similar to this one, CIBC Square is a beautiful building but it doesn’t merit the adjective “iconic”.

Last edited:
Back to the conversation about “iconic” sites for a moment... The obvious problem in discussing this is that there is no standard definition of an iconic structure. But let me propose a working definition that might bear some thought. An iconic building or site is the focus of a view that can serve as an establishing shot identifying a city in a movie. The moviegoers see the shot and many or most of them can say to themselves, “That’s Paris or London or...”. So, for example, a shot of the Eiffel Tower identifies Paris or of Tower Bridge says London. The only structure in Toronto with a chance of doing that in a movie is the CN Tower, IMO.

There aren’t that many iconic sites in New York either, using that kind of definition. There is the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building (which is the King King of iconic structures.) Add in Central Park, Times Square and maybe Rockefeller Plaza in the Christmas season. There are probably others but not as many as one might think. For example, Wall Street is an iconic concept but I had to Google it to remind myself of what it actually looked like.

Maybe this is too restrictive a definition and I for one would be interested in hearing other ideas. But by any definition similar to this one, CIBC Square is a beautiful building but it doesn’t merit the adjective “iconic”.

Yep - icon requires a structure to be a) well known beyond locals and b) serving as an identifier for a city to the point that it is one of the first thing that would come to mind. CIBC is neither. CN Tower IMO is an icon but not a particularly strong one either - there is very little "romance", much less inobscure cultural output attached to it.

AoD

The only iconic buildings in Toronto which have global recognition are: The CN Tower and Toronto City Hall which are by themselves a stretch.

You can show any person in the world a picture of Empire State Building and they know it's in New York, or Picture of Sears Tower and they know it's Chicago, or Burj Khalifa and they know it's Dubai.

Toronto City Hall...doubt many Star Trek viewers could tell that's Toronto :)

Worf-StarTrek-CitHall.jpg

I don't know if Burj Khalifa is all that well known outside of skyscraper nerd circles.

Back