Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
There has alway been a view by TTC and Waterfront Toronto that the QQ line would be a full east-west line to allow service to bypass Union to get people to where they were going faster than change cars at Union. TTC saw cars coming from Broadview Station going to the CNE using the QQ line as well from the Portland area.

This e-w line has been part of the approved Master Transit EA plan starting in 2004 which I was part of and still am.

As for the money, that an issue and needs to be part of section 37 as well more funding from Metrolinx and the city. TTC has made a mess of the loop and cost and doing some buck passing to off set other cost elsewhere.

Having all transit in one area will help everyone and this project.

The full East Bayfront Transportation ESR is on the WT website. ( http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/expl...ast_bayfront_transit_environmental_assessment ) On the streetcar it seems to say (page 111) that INITIALLY there will NOT be a through 'east-west' link but that the junction at QQ and Bayi will be rebuilt so that it can be added ata later date.

It does say that construction would protect for East-West movement and that the preferred design includes the necessary switches, tracks, and frogs to accomplish that at some point. I'm not sure why those switches, frogs, and trucks would not go in immediately. If you have to shut down the tunnel temporarily to rebuild, you might as well do it all at once.

The GO/Metrolinx 5-year plan says this about the downtown Toronto bus station:

2c. Provide more convenient transfers between transit systems by developing integrated multi-carrier bus terminals at appropriate locations including downtown Toronto, Kipling station, Renforth Drive and Eglinton Avenue, and Highway 407 at Jane Street.

From: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...Mtg_Five_Year_Strategic_Plan_2013-2018_EN.pdf

It seems to me that 45 Bay is not really part of the South Core. It's practically cut off from the South Core, and this whole development effectively has a Front Street address.

I think that means that the Port Authority site and 16 York are the last two lots down there, both of which are office.

No one is entirely sure just how large an area will ultimately be encompassed by the term Southcore/South Core(/SoCo). It is still being defined.

Yes, that's the part everyone can agree on! The first question is whether or not it jumps the Gardiner, and the second question is how far east or west south of the Gardiner does it go?

There is no formal definition that I am aware of. To me the absolute minimum area (beyond the block of buildings that actually have the word "Southcore" in their names) would be the land between Lower Simcoe and Bay, between the tracks and Harbour. I would personally also include the land east to Yonge, and south to Queen's Quay.

I don't know if the eventual massive developments between Yonge and Lower Jarvis (Toronto Star lands, LCBO lands, Loblaws lands) will end up being included under the name Southcore, or be considered a separate area under a different name. Collectively, they would be about equal to the entire current Southcore lands, in area and probably density.

I suppose the name will be contested for a while. Or forever. But from the standpoint of a bank looking for office space south of the tracks, what would those boundaries be?

I suppose the name will be contested for a while. Or forever. But from the standpoint of a bank looking for office space south of the tracks, what would those boundaries be?
Boundaries are fluid and banks and businesses move to "better" (often adjacent) areas all the time. The commercial centre of Toronto was once at King and Jarvis and moved west in the 19th century, then it moved south and next ????

There is a "Blimp Pics" aerial photography blimp hovering over the site this morning. Not sure if it's related to this development.

IMG_2411.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2411.JPG
    IMG_2411.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:

Back