Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
So I looked and TikTok is not one of UT's listed socials here: https://urbantoronto.ca/services/

Is the account actually associated with UT? I've recently seen a trend reported by some of the creators I follow of content being reposted on other social networks (or in some cases the same social network) with watermarks removed and I wonder if that's what's going on here.

Something from The Powers that Be here would be nice to clear up confusion. Paging @Edward Skira
When I checked their LinkedIn, which is listed there, they had posted a video on there, which had a link leading to their TikTok video. It was from the same account. Weird that they haven’t listed TikTok as one of their socials.

LinkedIn post leading to their TikTok:

IMG_8103.jpeg

The account in the link. This is the same account that has posted multiple videos without credits and for some reason editing my signature out.

IMG_8104.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks like a pretty deliberate attempt to discredit the photographer.
It says “credit will be given to the photographers/artists”. Where is the credit?
“Credit to the author of reposted media must be given when the image or video is not the work of the person posting.” Again, they didn’t even follow their own rules…
“No one has the right to take media posted on UrbanToronto for use elsewhere without the express written consent of the owners of the copyright (photographers etc.)”
No permissions asked.

There is no easy solution to this...and is likely a pain to do outside of being really skilled at it, but making sure one's watermark signature is placed as such within the photographic contributions that will make it more difficult for anyone else to remove. Mr. kotsy is a good example of this by tagging grainy signatures upon grainy and/or awkward subject matter and surfaces. This does not guarantee that this will stop anyone using it without proper crediting, but it will at least act as more of a deterrent in doing so.

...others here have used more extreme measures in the past such as slapping their contributions with huge arsed watermarks or spamming it with colourful clip art characters. I find that really distracting as I am sure other readers do too, but I guess it was working for them.
I put signatures to find if someone used my photo elsewhere, at least I know it’s my photo. That’s why I don’t place obnoxious watermarks, I don’t want to ruin the photo. I place it in hidden spots, so that people viewing the image aren’t distracted by it. At least I have my signature somewhere in the photo. But with this, I’ll have to change it up a little. Trying less subtle ones like @kotsy and @Johnny Au graffiti signature. I could also place more hidden ones. I know this won’t stop people from reusing the photos.

Last edited:

Back