Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
About half of it. You can see details and a rendering here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-225604.pdf
They are indeed demolishing that chunk more or less entirely, though about half of it will be replaced with a pedestrian bridge connecting Backstage to the PATH Network. Overall the Yonge St underpass should feel a lot shorter and less oppressive, though.

CIBC Bridge.png

Of course it's nothing like when they demolished the extra part of the York St Underpass in the 90's, which extended south to approximately halfway between Bremner and Lake Shore, and was for its final years a simple concrete structure sticking out above grade encasing the street:

york st underpass.png

york st underpass.png

Last edited:
On the side and silly question time: Since ye ole freight yards have been entirely paved over, I presume freight takes a detour around this part of the rail corridor now (and had for some time)?

On the side and silly question time: Since ye ole freight yards have been entirely paved over, I presume freight takes a detour around this part of the rail corridor now (and had for some time)?
The downtown freight yards were moved up to Vaughan in the 1960's to the McMillan Yard.

CN Freight, as noted by @innsertnamehere is based out of MacMillan Yard in Vaughan, just north of 7. CN's Mainline is roughly parallel to the 407 in York Region and most of its freight movements are along that line or the Bala Sub (Richmond Hill GO) north of 407 (and CN York Sub)

CP Freight is based out of Toronto Yard (Agincourt) and largely operates along CP Mainlines, those being the mid-town line (summerhill) and the MacTier sub, which runs north to Bolton and points north and west.

CN still sends one local freight out at night, on the Lakeshore tracks according to @smallspy as I recall.

It also still has running rights and customers on bits of various other GO lines (Stouffville, Barrie etc)

Which is the long way round of saying the vast majority of freight traffic does not pass anywhere near downtown Toronto, most of the time, but a little bit still does.

They are indeed demolishing that chunk more or less entirely, though about half of it will be replaced with a pedestrian bridge connecting Backstage to the PATH Network. Overall the Yonge St underpass should feel a lot shorter and less oppressive, though.

View attachment 425377

Of course it's nothing like when they demolished the extra part of the York St Underpass in the 90's, which extended south to approximately halfway between Bremner and Lake Shore, and was for it's final years a simple concrete structure sticking out above grade encasing the street:
Do you know who's paying for this connection? The city, the condo or Hines? If it's the developer, i'm curious as to why they would do this. I understand the connection to Union Station but why is it important to connect the condo to the CIBC building?

Do you know who's paying for this connection? The city, the condo or Hines? If it's the developer, i'm curious as to why they would do this. I understand the connection to Union Station but why is it important to connect the condo to the CIBC building?
It is Section 37 contribution from the developer. The link across Yonge is the first stage of bringing the PATH through the Green P parking lot and to Market Street. I doubt the Backstage Condo (or its developer) were too keen on it as it uses 'their space' and THEY had to provide a space that can be also used as an art gallery (or walkway.)

Which is the long way round of saying the vast majority of freight traffic does not pass anywhere near downtown Toronto, most of the time, but a little bit still does.
You know, I sorta figured that...but it was one of those eureka moments when last riding the Lakeshore GO Train back to Union from Aldershot prompted me ask despite living in this city for all these years: "Where does the freight actually go?" I was pretty sure they didn't disappear through some magical vortex in Etobicoke only to reappear in Scarborough to bypass Union Station. So now I know...

...and thanks for explaining that! /bows

Last edited:

Who could’ve predicted this!? Oh right UTers like @Vanalla many years ago.
Wow, thank you for the mention!

I can't express the number of times I've sat on/behind a GO bus on Lakeshore, grumbling to myself about how much better the system could have been with dedicated ramps, especially after having ridden through better-planned stations such as NYC's Port Authority Bus Terminal. While PABT isn't a case study for cleanliness or modernity (and is itself undergoing a rebuild), it certainly is efficient at getting pedestrians on buses and then those buses on the NJ highway network in minutes at rush hour.

While yes, we should be transitioning to train rapid transit, the fact is that bus transit will always be a municipally affordable means of serving small communities. It costs pennies on the dollar to maintain a bus stop in places like Fergus, Orangeville, or Brooklin, which doesn't have the budget or infrastructure to support a regional rail stop. Even with Metrolinx budget contributions. We need those people on public transit as much as everyone in DT Toronto if we want a genuinely European-style transit network.

It costs pennies on the dollar to maintain a bus stop in places like Fergus, Orangeville, or Brooklin, which doesn't have the budget or infrastructure to support a regional rail stop. Even with Metrolinx budget contributions. We need those people on public transit as much as everyone in DT Toronto
One little pet peeve I have with general discussion on UT is the sediment that if you drive a car you are evil personified, but at the same time there are always comments that town X is too small to have bus/train routes and stops at that location.
I would like to ask just how UT members (generally) expect the fine people of these locations to have their freedom of movement? If driving a car is frowned upon and there is no train and bus routes through these towns, then maybe it is expected to just cycle between Owen Sound and Barrie, or from Bancroft to Belleville?

One little pet peeve I have with general discussion on UT is the sediment that if you drive a car you are evil personified, but at the same time there are always comments that town X is too small to have bus/train routes and stops at that location.
I would like to ask just how UT members (generally) expect the fine people of these locations to have their freedom of movement? If driving a car is frowned upon and there is no train and bus routes through these towns, then maybe it is expected to just cycle between Owen Sound and Barrie, or from Bancroft to Belleville?
I really don't think anyone here thinks that if you own a car you are evil personified. Cars certainly have a place everywhere, even in cities with good public transportation. I think the point of view of most UTers is that IF public transit worked better there would be a need for less car use. Of course, if you live in Barrie and work in Owen Sound you will probably (certainly) need a car. If you live @ Jarvis & Front and work at Eglinton & Yonge you really should not need a car to get to work (though you may need one to go and visit your mum in Bancroft. The world is not black and white!

I think it also has to do with the people that go on these forums. A person that drives everywhere and never uses public transit probably won’t be interested in the progress of different projects in the detail that is often covered on UT.
I also agree with the post above that car ownership is just another indication at the state of public transit. Owning a car isn’t cheap, and if our transit options are better, people would take the GO downtown vs driving. Yesterday, I tried taking the King route and the “King“ replacement bus basically does not stop at King for the entire stretch between University and Atlantic Ave and the inconsistent schedule of the replacement busses makes it impossible to plan my journey.

CIBC Square 2 should fill in the gap in this skyline view nicely!

View attachment 425073

I do apologize for messing with your stunning photo @wmedia... made no attempt to be accurate (location, height etc) and just a 5 minute edit in Preview lol 'cause my Photoshop is on my dead laptop.

But looking at the financial district "mountain" I couldn't resist scribbling a few shapes to envision the southern "mountain" cluster that will emerge in the future from this POV. Again, no accuracy ;-).

The entire Bloor/Yorkville - south to the lake skyline, will be a panoramic mountain range one day when viewing from Humber Bay (with College to Gerrard forming a new peak). It's going to be one spectacular sight.

Again sorry for the scribble. I'll delete it if you wish.

Humberview-future.jpeg

Attachments

• Humberview-future.jpg
    Humberview-future.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I do apologize for messing with your stunning photo @wmedia... made no attempt to be accurate (location, height etc) and just a 5 minute edit in Preview lol 'cause my Photoshop is on my dead laptop.

But looking at the financial district "mountain" I couldn't resist scribbling a few shapes to envision the southern "mountain" cluster that will emerge in the future from this POV. Again, no accuracy ;-).

The entire Bloor/Yorkville - south to the lake skyline, will be a panoramic mountain range one day when viewing from Humber Bay (with College to Gerrard forming a new peak). It's going to be one spectacular sight.

Again sorry for the scribble. I'll delete it if you wish.

View attachment 426102
Can't wait to see the quadruple-peaked skyline from Humber Bay (the 3 you mentioned plus Yonge & Bloor)!

Back