Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
From Community@cibcsquare.com
Construction Update
Dear Neighbours,

Below is a brief update on the CIBC SQUARE project:

141 Bay Street
Construction at 141 Bay Street continues to progress as crews excavate and build the foundation of the building. Currently, tieback drilling/grouting/stressing is ongoing on the eastern portion of the site to support the shoring walls as excavation progresses downward to P5. The construction ramp along Yonge Street has been removed, allowing further tieback installation to progress. The forming and pouring of core foundations in the central area of the site is nearly complete and the vertical core walls have started. The forming of the early logistics slab at grade is progressing eastward.

Overbuild Park
The next phase of construction for the overbuild park has commenced with the erection of new steel trusses. To ensure safety, this work will take place overnight as it requires access to the active Metrolinx rail corridor – no construction personnel are permitted to work in the rail corridor when trains are in operation. This phase of work is expected to continue until May 2022.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this phase of construction. For any questions or comments, please email us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

———-

Pictures from me today.
D70EC5CE-B64C-4DC6-8AB1-D445028470F2.jpeg

755BC854-F0E5-4AE6-9BB1-95BE383EB769.jpeg

DF3F45FE-C60F-4652-B7A4-C771084E97B9.jpeg

8BBA221C-CD15-4826-ABA0-14A387E895A8.jpeg

1D6A4753-82BB-498B-A9C8-752B89A28303.jpeg

C1565A51-E0B8-4C4D-B4B8-4243814A8A19.jpeg

BAAD11FD-B7FC-418C-A1E8-3DE396F09F35.jpeg

7220A642-E324-4FEF-9AE8-FEB802ECFECC.jpeg

5D97F1D5-FB29-418E-96BC-076BAD065057.jpeg

DC1A005D-A227-4796-ACEE-E84C358BF837.jpeg

Final part taken on December 19, 2021:

Part 4: Basement

The entrance to the basement is located behind the café in the lobby:

IMG_3088.jpg
IMG_3089.jpg
IMG_3090.jpg

Let's see what the basement looks like. Will it look aesthetically pleasing like the rest of CIBC Square? Will it look very utilitarian like the service corridors?

Once I open the door, I see what the basement has to offer
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3083.jpg
IMG_3084.jpg
IMG_3085.jpg
IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg

There are more stairs that lead to the lower basements, which are all used for parking.

CIBC Square is architecturally stunning with such a great interior and lobby.

The basement? Looks very spartan.

Last edited:
CIBC Square is architecturally stunning with such a great interior and lobby.

The basement? Looks very spartan.
Where you expecting it would be made of crystals and cut marble? This is the backstage of the threatre Square, where only folks who service it mostly go....and not really meant for the public's viewing eyes, I suspect. Thusly, spartan is forgivable here...if folks want eye candy, they'll have go back up stairs. 😼

Yup. No point wasting money on basement utilities, especially cuz it's likely impractical as well.
A lot of expense has already gone into the utilities side of things anyhow, if they want to keep the big arsed bank building state of the art while reducing it's environmental foot print. And from the look of Mr. Au's photo journal of the bowls of said Square, there still looks like there's quite a bit of work in progress.

I wish the highest floor of the building was preserved as a restaurant and observation deck. It would have offered great views of the city. Something like what New York did with One Vanderbilt.

I wish the highest floor of the building was preserved as a restaurant and observation deck. It would have offered great views of the city. Something like what New York did with One Vanderbilt.
The top floor, 49, actually will be a restaurant / catering. Unfortunately, it’s not publicly accessible. Although since they already reserved the top floor of 81 for this purpose, there’s hope the North tower will have a restaurant or observation area. It’ll be taller as well.

Where you expecting it would be made of crystals and cut marble? This is the backstage of the threatre Square, where only folks who service it mostly go....and not really meant for the public's viewing eyes, I suspect. Thusly, spartan is forgivable here...if folks want eye candy, they'll have go back up stairs. 😼
That's exactly true. There's probably a secret club, dining room, or bar hidden away if there was anything special to see down here and any fabulous decorations and design. 😃

That's exactly true. There's probably a secret club, dining room, or bar hidden away if there was anything special to see down here and any fabulous decorations and design. 😃
...that would be the janitor's room. And the bar is inside the filing cabinet where it's hiding the single bottled whiskey stash saved for those stressful days. >.>

Back