Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
It's leased in large part because Oxford took 6 or 8 floors when times were really rough, Oxford's parent OMERs leases significant space there and they did some sweetheart deals with RBC. I'm fairly certain that RBC will be moving more of its space down to the new building but will keep just enough to maintain naming rights to the centre. Quite frankly even after all the money thrown at it in the last 5 years, it is the best and best located B class building in Toronto.

I'm not sure about the quality of the space but all I know both towers are nearly 100% occupied and have been for a long while, and many of the leases are very long term.

BTW - some inside information - RBC will likely not move ANY of the office space in this building : ) ... you are correct they already don't maintain a large presence, they are completely out of North tower, have been for years.

Anyway, RBC is moving all their Front street offices to the new waterfront building; That's all. So that one office complex on RBC will have a lot of space to fill in !

This building:
1.jpg

And this one:
1.jpg

And both these buildings will be nearly 100% empty after, that account for all 400K+ worth of space RBC is taking.

So no RBC plaza will remain full for the foreseeable future

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,081
I'd rather they not build anything too substantial over the rails. It will really overwhelm Lower Bay, which already feels dark and subterraneanian

Bay Street runs under the rails. So it doesn't really matter what they build east of the street and over the corridor. It won't have an effect on how the street feels, unless they move Bay Street over the rail corridor.

RiverCity is one of the nicest members on this forum, so I really don't understand why you felt the need to threaten him with the "immune from future edits" line. For the record, mods aren't infallible, and I found ShonTron's (and One Nut Kruk's) post to be out of line and offensive as well.

What in the world makes you think that post was directed at RiverCity1???? Calm that itchy trigger finger my friend.

Bay Street runs under the rails. So it doesn't really matter what they build east of the street and over the corridor. It won't have an effect on how the street feels, unless they move Bay Street over the rail corridor.

This perspective, the dankness of which the photo doesn't do justice to is what I'm talking about: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bay+...d=4JJ13843bc-uUC9FkcTfHA&cbp=11,24.21,,0,-3.9

With unwelcoming backside of the ACC to west, the Gardiner to the South, and tunnel under the tracks, this area already feels like its in a gully. Building out over the tracks will make it feel really uncomfortable.

This perspective, the dankness of which the photo doesn't do justice to is what I'm talking about: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bay+...d=4JJ13843bc-uUC9FkcTfHA&cbp=11,24.21,,0,-3.9

With unwelcoming backside of the ACC to west, the Gardiner to the South, and tunnel under the tracks, this area already feels like its in a gully. Building out over the tracks will make it feel really uncomfortable.

My opinion is that this is one of the places where building over the tracks would work well in offering an alternative passage to the waterfront over Bay Street. As for a gully-like feeling, it can be avoided as long as they keep an appropriate setback from Bay Street.

ShonTron is a moderator, and I doubt he will be happy when he reads the quoted text above (which is immune from future edits to the original post).

Thanks for the info (you can tell I don't spend a lot of time here), but this time I'm sticking to my guns, as a moderator, he should know better, and be a little more sensitive with his literary critiques in a city as multicultural as Toronto. Personally, as a unilingual person, I'm in awe of those who speak more then one language, as long as you can understand what is being said, do you really care if there are a few spelling or grammatical errors? I certainly don't, and neither should he. Giving the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume he was merely making a suggestion, but it's certainly not how it came out. Be that as it may, he may not agree with me, if he chooses to act, given his role, guess I won't be talking to guys for much longer, it's been a pleasure, I only hope he sees my point, cheers all.

So what language is spoken officially in Toronto then, Mr. "born and bred" superior Torontonian? Or is it that you are disappointed that you aren't able to snoop into people's private conversations? :rolleyes:

English -- you know -- one of the two official languages of Canada? Good luck finding a job in this city if you don't speak it.

Enough on the language issue for now please!

In regards to ushahid's and ShonTron's posts, we have already talked about this in the Admin & Mods-only section of the forum (yes, there is one), and ShonTron feels badly for overreacting. As someone else mentioned, yes we are all fallible.

There are some language standards on UrbanToronto. As much as none of us wants to be a grammar and spelling cop, (it's rarely welcomed), every once in a while a post may just push somebody's buttons in that particular way that causes a pointed reaction. (Every time I read "should of" when it should be "should have" for example, I have to stop myself from going Intercontinental. I've managed to restrict my sniffiness lately to correcting Lawren Harris for Lauren Harris in the West Don Lands thread - I think the man should have his proper due - so everyone has their breaking point!) Anyway, ushahid has taken this all very well, has been very respectful, shows an interest in learning, and has great enthusiasm. We're glad he's here (and we're looking forward to b turning into be).

Cheers!

I'm not sure about the quality of the space but all I know both towers are nearly 100% occupied and have been for a long while, and many of the leases are very long term.

BTW - some inside information - RBC will likely not move ANY of the office space in this building : ) ... you are correct they already don't maintain a large presence, they are completely out of North tower, have been for years.

Anyway, RBC is moving all their Front street offices to the new waterfront building; That's all. So that one office complex on RBC will have a lot of space to fill in !

This building:
View attachment 18921
And this one:
View attachment 18922

And both these buildings will be nearly 100% empty after, that account for all 400K+ worth of space RBC is taking.

So no RBC plaza will remain full for the foreseeable future

It’s mostly 310-320-330 Front which is owned by H&R. They are already marketing 272k sq.ft. contiguous (the whole building) at 320 front. 315 Front across the street has a lot of the sensitive/dark grey IT and back office functions which are tied to 325 front where they do cheque cashing so I don't know if ALL of that space is going right away. Then again those buildings are GONE with the MTCC design ideas so Oxford probably doesn't mind too too much about sitting on them empty. They have done it before with 111 Richmond.

RBC Plaza is leased long term because they made the decisions to both take a whole lot of space themselves and to do very tenant advantageous deals to ensure it was leased. It was a hard slog. They know RBC will slide down to 1 sq.ft. more than the cut-off to keep naming rights.

Enough on the language issue for now please!

In regards to ushahid's and ShonTron's posts, we have already talked about this in the Admin & Mods-only section of the forum (yes, there is one), and ShonTron feels badly for overreacting. As someone else mentioned, yes we are all fallible.

There are some language standards on UrbanToronto. As much as none of us wants to be a grammar and spelling cop, (it's rarely welcomed), every once in a while a post may just push somebody's buttons in that particular way that causes a pointed reaction. (Every time I read "should of" when it should be "should have" for example, I have to stop myself from going Intercontinental. I've managed to restrict my sniffiness lately to correcting Lawren Harris for Lauren Harris in the West Don Lands thread - I think the man should have his proper due - so everyone has their breaking point!) Anyway, ushahid has taken this all very well, has been very respectful, shows an interest in learning, and has great enthusiasm. We're glad he's here (and we're looking forward to b turning into be).

Cheers!

cheers to interchange 42

Any news.
As you said back on October 3... "well, we can only wait and watch. " Actually I am 99% sure this whole flurry of postings is yet another red herring. Of course, something will eventually go onto this site but there is absolutely no reliable evidence that this will happening soon.

Back