Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
RBC Plazza in on hard times ??? What are you talking about, both buildings are just about 100% leased and long term ! Out of all the old AAA office buildings in the core, they've struggled the least by far !

It's leased in large part because Oxford took 6 or 8 floors when times were really rough, Oxford's parent OMERs leases significant space there and they did some sweetheart deals with RBC. I'm fairly certain that RBC will be moving more of its space down to the new building but will keep just enough to maintain naming rights to the centre. Quite frankly even after all the money thrown at it in the last 5 years, it is the best and best located B class building in Toronto.

Last edited:
So what language is spoken officially in Toronto then, Mr. "born and bred" superior Torontonian? Or is it that you are disappointed that you aren't able to snoop into people's private conversations? :rolleyes:

It may not have been the best way to say it, but I think that One Nut Kruk meant that for people with a longer family history in Toronto and for those who may only know English, like myself, that we have either traveled or lived in foreign countries and had a huge language barrier to deal with. This is how someone born in TO can relate to a new arrival and have empathy for their situation. That was my take. I have a feeling that there was no superiority implied but rather understanding and welcoming. I would hope :)

p.s. we likely have a hundred languages here ;)

Last edited:
It may not have been the best way to say it, but I think that One Nut Kruk meant that for people with a longer family history in Toronto and for those who may only know English, like myself, that we have either traveled or lived in foreign countries and had a huge language barrier to deal with. This is how someone born in TO can relate to a new arrival and have empathy for their situation. That was my take. I have a feeling that there was no superiority implied but rather understanding and welcoming. I would hope :)

p.s. we likely have a hundred languages here ;)

rivercity1 from where you moved to Canada.

im sorry for the spellings. I know I suck at grammar and syntax because im an immigrant and Im still learning English. just moved to Canada 1 year ago.

You have NOTHING to be sorry for, however, ShonTron does. I'm absolutely disgusted by his ignorance and arrogance. I've encountered a certain degree of arrogance here, but he has taken it to a whole new level. Moderators, I find ShonTron's post very offensive, can you not remove it? This is a site to hear and exchange ideas about architecture, not to be insulted because one isn't a literary expert. How about we all stick to the topic at hand, get off our high horse, a keep an open mind to what is being said, and not how it's said, pathetic. :mad:

You have NOTHING to be sorry for, however, ShonTron does. I'm absolutely disgusted by his ignorance and arrogance. I've encountered a certain degree of arrogance here, but he has taken it to a whole new level. Moderators, I find ShonTron's post very offensive, can you not remove it? This is a site to hear and exchange ideas about architecture, not to be insulted because one isn't a literary expert. How about we all stick to the topic at hand, get off our high horse, a keep an open mind to what is being said, and not how it's said, pathetic. :mad:

ShonTron is a moderator, and I doubt he will be happy when he reads the quoted text above (which is immune from future edits to the original post).

It depends on the type of language. Drum's posts are often nearly incoherent, but they are tolerated as the are full words with no obviously purposeful mistakes. "hey guyz this shouldnt b a box, those sux" isn't just nearly incoherent, it also adds very little to the conversation and seems more like spamming.

here's an image posted by Fastwalking over at SSC, gives an indication of the scale of the site.....if the information is correct...

null_zpsbf64e22c.jpg

An absolutely massive site. 4 towers could fit there (two in parking lot, two in CRA building). But the north western building would be a tight fit.

I have a hard time imagining them building anything of significant height over the rail corridor.

I have my doubts about if the developers will be permitted to build on the CRA location. Its such a significant heritage building. I feel that even facading would be inappropriate. I'd be okay with them buying the building and updating the interior, but for them to demolish would be a total disgrace.

Last edited:
ushaid: I agree with insertnamehere (as usual). I have nothing wrong with spelling and grammar mistakes, but please try not to use text message slang on UT.

So for example:

U = you
Sux = sucks
Guyz = guys
B = be

Anyways I'm glad to have you here ushaid and I hope you're not discouraged from posting. UT belongs to anyone who cares about our city being the best it can be :)

guys thank you for understanding me and Hanlansboy I took ShonTron's post as an advice and guys give me more advices I wont mind.

Canadians are awesome people, friendly and humble I really love the environment and People of Canada.

^ You should try to combine posts in the future, to avoid double posting :)

ShonTron is a moderator, and I doubt he will be happy when he reads the quoted text above (which is immune from future edits to the original post).

RiverCity is one of the nicest members on this forum, so I really don't understand why you felt the need to threaten him with the "immune from future edits" line. For the record, mods aren't infallible, and I found ShonTron's (and One Nut Kruk's) post to be out of line and offensive as well.

Back to the topic at hand; I really doubt that anything will be built over the rail lines, but I do think that there's room for something significant above the bus parking areas. Maybe two raised towers that would still leave room for the busses below, with the main entrance being through the CRA building? Either way, I can't see this happening for at least another decade.

The way I see this being built:

-Two smaller hotel/condo buildings where the bus bay are. They'll be attached to the CRA building, which will serve as the entrance

-Park or public space over the rail corridor. Maybe some retail as well.

-An office tower/condo/hotel where the parking lot is.

There is no way in hell that they're doing anything more significant with the CRA building. The City won't allow it (thankfully). and anything of more significance over the rail corridor looks to be a logistical and engineering nighmare.

This should turn out to be a great project.

I'd rather they not build anything too substantial over the rails. It will really overwhelm Lower Bay, which already feels dark and subterranean.

Back