News   Jul 10, 2024
 257     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

Hi all. Long time lurker here, but infrequent poster. I've enjoyed reading this thread and just wanted to add a few of my comments/observations.

First of all, I live in Boston and grew up/went to college around New York City. However, I've developed an affinity for cities over the years, especially Toronto and Montreal. I spent a few days in Toronto during the spring, and have recently returned from my first trip to Chicago, having spent 3 days there at the end of October.

While the two cities do share some similarities in topography, lakeside location, and cold weather, I have to say that from an urban perspective, I felt much more at home in Toronto. For example:

1. As large a city as Chicago is, I was shocked how quiet the downtown became after dark. I stayed in a hotel just south of Chicago River, and with the exception of some light street activity on Michigan Ave. north of the river, the downtown was virtually dead. From what I have heard about Chicago, I had expected to see Manhattan-like street activity during all hours of the day. That just wasn't the case here, and I felt it somewhat off-putting. On the contrary, I felt Toronto's sidewalks in the downtown area to still be fairly active, even after 10 p.m. I remember walking from the ACC after a Leafs game to my hotel near Younge-Dundas Square and was really surprised how many people were on the streets. These were people in addition to after-game crowd. It really made for a pleasant experience and one that allowed me to really enjoy the walk through the city. As an aside, with the exception of Wrigley Field, none of the Chicago sports arenas are well connected to the city. On the flip side, I am envious of the gathering area that has been created outside of the ACC (I believe it's called Maple Leaf Square?) I would love to have this in Boston!

2. In terms of general architecture and cultural attractions, the central district of Chicago is quite impressive. My husband and I took the architectural boat tour of the Chicago River and it was really enjoyable and provided a great education about the various architectural periods in Chicago's history. I really felt like I was in immersed in a vibrant urban environment. About an hour after the tour, we decided to go to the top of the John Hancock Tower. I ended up very disappointed when I looked about 3 blocks west of the central downtown area and could see various strip mall-type grocery stores and pharmacy's, all surrounded by parking lots. As someone who spent a lot of his childhood in NYC, this was somewhat disturbing and left me with a negative impression of the overall city, which is perhaps unfair, but you know what they say about first impressions. Our subway ride to and from Midway Airport also revealed a lot of neighborhoods replete with suburban style strip malls, restaurants, and wide streets. It's truly a very car-centric place. While I realize Toronto has its fair-share of car-centric areas, I found that they tended to be some distance from the downtown core of the city. I really enjoyed walking on King Street south through the entertainment district as I felt it really had a nice urban vibe. Also, Toronto areas that seem to be more suburban in nature appear to be giving way to more dense developments. The building boom in Toronto is a construction-junkies dream and the difference between my visit in the spring, and my first visit to Toronto as a high-school student in 1995 was palpable. I envy you for being able to watch it so close. So far, Toronto seems to be doing development the right way.

3. Chicago's subway/el system is more extensive than Toronto, but truthfully, I wasn't all that impressed. First of all, the downtown loop seems to place significant physical limits on the system, limiting the size of cars and the number of cars on the various trains. The station platforms seemed to be dangerously small and disabled access seemed to be spotty at best. And for all of the hype Chicago seems to place on their Gold Coast, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, and convention centers, their subway system really doesn't service any of those areas, at least without a 4 or 5 block walk, which for many people is off-putting. (As a Boston resident, I'm fine with walking though a 4-block Boston walk and a 4-block Chicago walk are two different things). Both airports are serviced directly by the El system, so that is a plus. While your system is not huge, I found it extremely user friendly and pleasant. I loved your new trains and the general layouts of your stations. I think the redevelopment of your Union station will be a huge asset to your station once finished. Two or three more well-placed subway lines would really do wonders for you, but you have a really nice start with what you have. I know your street cars are somewhat controversial, but FWIW, I found them completely charming and for me, somewhat iconic.

Also, as an aside, I think your island airport has the potential to be a huge asset to your city. I realize there is a controversial plan to expand the airport and while I large, international airport on that island would not be good for the city, I think some smart, well-conceived expansions/improvements could do wonders for your city's tourism and business travelers. It's really a tremendous asset to have so close to the downtown.

4. Finally, the reality is Chicago's population is on the decline while Toronto's is on the climb. In an odd intangible way, I think it's noticeable when you visit both cities. It's somewhat troubling to see so many cities in the US growing (NYC, LA, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami) while Chicago declines. While Chicago is not dependent on one industry, the city does have some Detroit tendencies in its government and finances. Toronto meanwhile seems to have a very well-rounded economy and a population of welcoming people who really enjoy living in the city. The problems with your mayor aside, I think Toronto is much better poised for the future.

Last edited:
Also, as an aside, I think your island airport has the potential to be a huge asset to your city. I realize there is a controversial plan to expand the airport and while I large, international airport on that island would not be good for the city, I think some smart, well-conceived expansions/improvements could do wonders for your city's tourism and business travelers. It's really a tremendous asset to have so close to the downtown.

Soon we'll have a dedicated LRT from Pearson to Union that'll take only about 25 minutes. The disadvantages of an expanded island airport will outweigh its advantages in a a matter of months.

Thanks for posting, Jdrinboston! Did you notice any similarities between the Gardiner (the elevated highway that runs through downtown), and its old Boston equivalent? The highway is currently in need of a $500m revitalization/repairs, and some are questioning whether such an investment should be made instead of finding an alternative solution (burying it, bringing it to grade, etc.). I'm curious to hear what you think about the "Big Dig." Aside from the few accidents and such, do you view it as a net asset for the city, or an unnecessary financial burden? Do you think it would be wise for Toronto to tackle such a project?

The disadvantages of an expanded island airport will outweigh its advantages in a a matter of months.

I, and many others, disagree.

While the two cities do share some similarities in topography, lakeside location, and cold weather, I have to say that from an urban perspective, I felt much more at home in Toronto. For example:

1. As large a city as Chicago is, I was shocked how quiet the downtown became after dark. I stayed in a hotel just south of Chicago River, and with the exception of some light street activity on Michigan Ave. north of the river, the downtown was virtually dead. From what I have heard about Chicago, I had expected to see Manhattan-like street activity during all hours of the day.

You visited one small part of the downtown. Chicago is just as busy and bustling as any other city you just have to go to the right spots. Like Wickerpark,Bucktown,Lincoln Park, Gold Coast. I have been to every big city in America and i would say Chicago is in my top 3 for dining and nightlife.

Disagreements only count for something when they are backed up with logic.

RC8 said:
Soon we'll have a dedicated LRT from Pearson to Union that'll take only about 25 minutes. The disadvantages of an expanded island airport will outweigh its advantages in a a matter of months.

At the risk of wading into a local argument I have to question whether a 25 minute ride is all that impressive when someone can step out of an airport and be immediately adjacent to the downtown area and be a short cab ride from their hotel or meeting. By comparison, the ride from Logan Airport to the financial district in Boston takes less than 10 minutes on the MBTA blue line. Still you will be hard pressed to see people getting on the train wearing business attire. Based on my experiences dealing with business people and public transit, they are just as likely to get in a cab or rent a car at Pearson and drive downtown. A transit link is laudable for sure, I just don't think it would beat a downtown airport from a marketing perspective.

Last edited:
Regarding the comments of Chicago not being busy outside of working hours I cannot say I agree ... I will say Toronto felt more busy throughout (i.e. in general) but there are definitely certain areas of Chicago that are bustling most of the time. I hate when people make comparisons to New York, there is no comparison in North America, not even close - the same goes for London ... those streets just have way more activity at all times of the day / night and in many areas.

Soon we'll have a dedicated LRT from Pearson to Union that'll take only about 25 minutes.
I'm not sure why you'd call it light rail. It's mostly on the same tracks as those 12-car GO Trains.

The disadvantages of an expanded island airport will outweigh its advantages in a a matter of months.
Not sure I see much disadvantage of expanding the airport. Surely more environmentally friendly that travelling to Mississauga to catch a plane.

Nfitz,

Perhaps not in terms of net greenhouse gases, but airports are a massive source of pollution, and air pollution is most damaging to people when concentrated close to where they live. By expanding the island airport, Porter want to double the frequency of flights, and thus the amount of pollution affecting Toronto's downtown - the densest populated place in the Province.

It will also triple the amount of car-traffic in the area, again making it worse for people who live close-by.

Most planners with long-term goals also bring up the issue of sound pollution. The new jets won't be much noisier than current airplanes, but if they come in twice as often that's a remarkable difference in noise disturbance. Today it seems this is a relative small issue because no one lives in the Portlands, but we would never allow this if people did. Since the plan is to eventually have stable residential neighbourhoods there, this is a big deal.

You are right with regards to it not being light rail.

Jdrinboston,

This won't really be local 'transit', it will be a premium service significantly faster than a cab or a rental car, geared to business travellers in need of making it downtown swiftly.

I live next to the island airport, and I'm fond of it in its current state, but a 'short cab-ride' to union station could easily take 20 minutes at either peak hour. Taking local transit would also take 20 minutes (at any time). Only cycling would get you there in a heartbeat, but then you probably will be carrying luggage and be unable to take it on a bike. Walking to the downtown core - which is what I and others I know end up doing - takes 30 minutes.

The express 25 minute ride from Pearson will be very comfortable and competitive, and from Union you'll be able to access the Path system directly. Imagine arriving in Toronto and making it to a downtown meeting basically without stepping outside!

It's not that an airport expansion offers no advantages, but I know that the vast majority of planners in Toronto think the disadvantages outweigh them.

Except Billy Bishop does not exist in a vacuum. As someone has already pointed out, when you take into consideration all the factors at play (most of which you are not even aware of), the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

First and foremost, let's take into consideration the dynamics at work here. The TPA is a federal agency that doesn't give two sh*ts about city building. They want to expand the airport business (throwing out a previous agreement) so it can be self sufficient, because at the moment, it isn't. The airport is subsidized, as is Porter, as is the planes they fly. If it is such a fabulous business model, why can't it make any money. The "Port of Toronto" is no longer a working port at all, and the federal government has no business here at all...just hand the land back to the city so we can get on with converting our waterfront to mixed-use.

The other more obvious factor, is that no matter how great a small boutique airport is is theory, it's in the wrong spot. Do you really think this is the best use of 200+ acres of super-prime downtown waterfront public land? Anything else that the land would be used for would be an improvement to the area...even if it were converted back to the parkland it was (and is currently zoned as).

So, logically it should be removed all together, as the status quo is not sustainable, either from an economic or planning standpoint. The flight paths threaten the development of the Portlands, which is important to the future of the city. Obviously, it's simply not compatible with the surrounding area it is located in....parkland, recreational, cultural, schools (400 feet from the runway) and some of the densest residential housing on the continent.

Expanding it is simply going to make this worse. They are actually discussing tearing down the Harbourfront school/community centre to build parking facilities for the airport. Expanding the runways 400m. Facilities such as huge fuel tanks have to be built for expanded service. More noise, more pollution, more problems with flight paths over Portlands that needs to be the new downtown Toronto.

There's only one single benefit to expanding service at the airport, and it's that it "may" make the operations of the airport self sufficient. And since when is it the responsibility of the City of Toronto to sacrifice its own city building so some dinky federal agency can stop being subsidized?

Exactly...IT ISN'T!!

Oh...and if anybody doubts TPA's ability to make wise business decisions, you need not look any further than their other genius idea...that tragically failed Rochester Ferry debacle. ha ha

It isn't just the airport that needs to disappear...it's the TPA itself that needs to disappear. Ottawa...get the fack out so we can get on with building the city. And try not to sue us for another $billion in the process (you evil sacks of sh*t).

Oh yea...if you haven't already gathered...I have an opinion on the subject.

Back