Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

It looks like now all of the units to the east of Casa will be blocked by Chaz.....

45 CHARLES ST E

OPA / Rezoning 11 239516 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Jul 15, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Rezoning application for an addition 8 stories to existing approved 39 storey residentil condo development. future height 47 stories. 14 additional parking spaces. See existing building permit - 11 101340 BLD and 06 198325 STE for previous application

So nice of the Bay Cloverhill Community Association to donate such a lovely garden in this space

I zoomed in on it, it says donated by 45 Charles (the developer) to Bay Coverhill. I guess they did this due to the imminent demolition.

I was just trying to add some levity to the thread, it makes me smile each time I walk past for the last several weeks and see weeds so I thought I'd grab a snap of it.

wait a second so whats happening here - they are getting another 8 floors??

Yes, old news my friend. They should have no problem getting it.

Didn't know the original application was for only 33 floors. It's interesting how this is the second 'minor variance' for more floors. Its almost as if they had planned this all along. Instead of proposing a high amount of floors off the bat, say 56 knowing that it would just get shoot down to 47 while and at the same time inuring the wrath of the neighborhood or at least garnering some negative publicity (although even 56 wouldn't really be out of line for the area). Instead they went about it the other way. Propose 33, than ask for 39, and finally 47 and quietly get what you originally wanted.

Am very dissapointed with the creativity of our engineers and architects and above all, the city to be allowing to build these cookie cutter, lookalike buildings. on top of it all They pay no attention to the street level. All u see as u walk by is glass... Often dirty glass. Btw the new ritz going up on Michigan avenue is ugly! So Chicago builds ugly buildings as well.

I wouldn't call Chaz "cookie cutter" by any means. It has interesting angles and a limestone base. Many condos have really nice landscaping out front or at least the addition of trees on the sidewalk. My beef is I'd like to see more "drop-off" areas so that delivery trucks/vans and passengers being unloaded don't block the road as frequently as they do - or worse, pull up on the sidewalk blocking the way for pedestrians.

Back