Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

27 September 2009 photo update

With that ugly Battery Park or Zippers Vibe thing in the background:

dsc09066h.jpg

The main building along Queen street is now fenced off, so it looks like demolition will begin soon. Can't wait!

Thank you CAMH webmaster - we would love to get additional updates on the project(s) from you as they become available on the CAMH website as well :)

AoD

This isa great idea surely to emulated by other cities soon. It is definately risky being the proverbial guinea pig in this type of project and it will be interesting to see how it works out. If this idea turns out half as well as planned, it will be a major turning point for the idea of mental health care.

This kind of forward thinking is why I love Toronto.

Pardon my ignorance, but is that $30/month geared towards patients of the facilities? Are they paying for a place to stay? And why is a sales center with barcelona chairs necessary? Is there a new project being built there, or is the presentation centre in relation to the new building they recently built further west? Also are they going to be taking down the concrete remains right at Queen and Ossington? The new view looks excellent I should add.

April 1st Update

The main building facing Queen Street and connecting walkway is now rubble, only part of the main entrance at the bottom of Ossington Ave. and a service building remain.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I haven't been out to Queen W W area since last year, I can't believe the changes along the street. I saw dramatic change last summer to the area on Queen between Bathurst & Trinity Bellwoods Park but I didn't go any further west.

One will still find a few used appliance stores but I've mostly seen a lot of small galleries pop up. I believe that CAMH integrating itself firmer into the community will eventually prove itself a success not just for the people it serves but also for the greater community at large.

I see 4 or 5 cranes east and west of Dovercourt, I'm not sure what the projects are but if we need updates let me know and I'll do so, I think one is in Liberty Village.

There was an article about this project on World Architecture News. Apparently phase 1 is called "Alternate Milieu". Read more about it, and see pictures here.

Alternative Milieu (phase one, completed in 2008) has 3 inpatient buildings and an administration/outpatient building all connected via locked card key doors so that food deliveries, housecleaning etc. have easy internal access to the entire complex. 30 White Squirrel Way (the unit at the south end of the complex which is the unit closest in the photo below) is the mood and anxiety program, 40 & 50 White Squirrel Way is the substance recovery units and the far unit at the end (closest to Queen W. at 60 White Squirrel Way) is the admin./outpatient building. It's very well planned, intimate and has a feeling of home. Each floor has an HD TV, living room, stereo system, full kitchen, laundry room, sun room, plenty of art, a private client room, secure and private outdoor gardens out back along the historic wall and six client rooms on each floor. There are four floors per unit. I have some interior photos but I don't think it's appropriate to post those.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:

Back