Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

April 30

Looking south from Queen West down White Squirrel Way.
2460458856_3f2b0b47d8_b.jpg

Looking west at the future park at the SW corner of Queen and White Squirrel Way.
2460458864_441c65d89d_b.jpg

They aren't even real streets. Note the green-coloured signs and non-Toronto font.

These new CAMH buildings were crawling with activity yesterday--I could clearly see people walking around inside, tons of cars driving in etc. Is it truly an urban design here? Why do we need another under-used park facing Queen Street West?

You beat me to the photos--I was debating uploading mine but was caught slacking....:)

2460458864_441c65d89d_b.jpg

why the frack were the mature trees ripped out if it was ment to stay greenspace?

^ There's a whole new design for this park. Janet Rosenberg (hTO Park) assembled it.

47237-39717.jpg

I do agree that the mature trees should have incorporated into the new park, rather than being torn out.

They aren't even real streets. Note the green-coloured signs and non-Toronto font. - What is the connection between the reality of the street and the font on the sign?

What is of more concern are the four speed bumps on the street - is that necessary?

I walked by yesterday and the gardening is being done. They added small bunches of plants and it looks like the trees are waiting to be planted also.

I'm not a botanist so I couldn't tell you what kind of plants are going there... for all I know they're gummy bear trees. :p

Real Streets

To my understanding, all of the new streets will be public, City of Toronto roads.

However, they have not yet been 'assumed'.

That means, they are being built on what is still CAMH private property.

Only when complete, to the City's satisfaction, generally when most or all development on a new street is complete does the city 'assume' ownership.

At that time the City of Toronto will install regulation street signs.

They won't allow their (City) street sign until they assume the road for liablity reasons.

They don't want 'confusion' between private, un-assumed roads, and City roads.

This means until the City assumes ownership they are not liable for anything that goes wrong on or because of the road or its fixtures.

To my understanding, all of the new streets will be public, City of Toronto roads.

However, they have not yet been 'assumed'.

That means, they are being built on what is still CAMH private property.

Only when complete, to the City's satisfaction, generally when most or all development on a new street is complete does the city 'assume' ownership.

At that time the City of Toronto will install regulation street signs.

They won't allow their (City) street sign until they assume the road for liablity reasons.

They don't want 'confusion' between private, un-assumed roads, and City roads.

This means until the City assumes ownership they are not liable for anything that goes wrong on or because of the road or its fixtures.

When the City assumes ownership will they actually name the streets properly too?

I think they'll retain the new names given. Adding a south end to an existing street implicates renumbering the existing street because the numbers begin on the south.

It was suggested for Ossington that the continuation of this street to the south be named Lower Ossington. That's a good solution for Ossington but smaller streets like White Squirrel Way have no reason to be renamed by their northern equally small street neighbours.

Back