Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

DSC00279_zpsc9f145a9.gif

DSC00300_zpsad6592d4.gif

DSC00296_zps0500ba86.gif

DSC00305_zpsdddf0243.gif

DSC00287_zpsb45f6a51.gif

Wow! Just wow on this one. That's some amazing architecture and a really well-executed project.

The only thing I dislike about this building is the grey paneling. Had they went with black, this would have looked a lot sharper. Still a beautiful building, regardless.

It's quite overpowering. There's no human scale to it. The half-round is more elegant and better scaled.

I disagree. The way it reflects the sky makes it quite self-effacing, while the raised windows prevents it being too monolithic. There's a stroke of genius here.

I love the huge size of it from the DVP, gives off a very strong sense of entry to the city, when there is a huge imposing building like it. sometimes imposing can work.

Like those whatdoyoucallthems that no one cares about. The, umm, pyramids, I think?

I do love monumentalism where it's appropriate, but here it just looks like they tried to squeeze as much floor space as possible. In the context of the Don Valley, I think it's too bulky. It dominates the landscape, but it looks like an oversized, ordinary building (if interestingly detailed). All the panel cladding also gives it a cold and industrial look. I doubt that this building will have many fans as it ages. If the half-round is demolished, I think that future "then and now"-style photo comparisons will be painful.

Nice:cool:

Historic Don Jail buffed up, refitted for a new purpose

The historic, 84,000-square-foot structure will be renamed the Bridgepoint Administration Centre and will provide office space for about 100 hospital administrators including president and chief executive officer Marian Walsh. The adaptive reuse project is just one part of a comprehensive $1.2-billion site redevelopment plan by Bridgepoint and the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care that also features the construction of a 680,000-square-foot, 472-bed facility for the treatment of complex chronic diseases.

Two existing buildings on the site – the old Bridgepoint Hospital and the jail’s 1958-built east-wing addition, now called the Toronto Jail and which is still in operation – will be demolished during the second half of 2013 to make way for new roadways, parks and landscaped areas.
More........http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ons-is-about-to-close/article577760/?page=all

What a waste of a really interesting building. I think it should have been turned into a prison museum/attraction. I took the tour a while back and it was quite informative.

Back