Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

Great first post. I was going to say welcome to the forum, but despite this being your first post, it appears you joined several months before I did! Oh, well - welcome to the forum!

Great first post. I was going to say welcome to the forum, but despite this being your first post, it appears you joined several months before I did! Oh, well - welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the nice welcome. Yes I have been lurking for a while, enjoying all the discussions on the incredible developments in Toronto plus the beautiful photography others have posted. I live near the Danforth and I often go for walks down Broadview so it has been a real delight watching Bridgepoint being constructed and the changing skyline. I am really looking forward to the demolition of the Don Jail addition and the landscaping, the hospital is definitely transforming the neighborhood.

8708403211_f42164ba9c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, great shots rankman. One of my favourite projects in the city. I saw an insightful documentary on Bridgepoint a few weeks ago. I'm heading up there this afternoon and hope to get some decent pics (and hope the 10th floor terrace is open!).

May 5th

The views from the rooftop terrace are simply stunning. Bridgepoint is on the list of buildings this year to visit during Doors Open Toronto. Try and check out the rooftop terrace, too:

Great views of Aura, too:

Once the old hospital is torn down and the landscaping is fully completed, this is going to be an amazing complex and neighbourhood amenity.

Last edited:
Beautiful building, it looks so imposing when you driving down the DVD and you see it.

What a waste of a really interesting building. I think it should have been turned into a prison museum/attraction. I took the tour a while back and it was quite informative.

Geez, ye of little faith!

CTV News had a tour today of the Don Jail. It`s an impressive, adaptive reuse as the administrative offices of the hospital...and it looks amazing and just like a museum...complete with the jail cells :p I imagine that this complex will win awards. It`s certainly one of my favorites (as you can tell from my pics lol).

It`s beautiful, practical, and has one of the very best views of downtown :p Check it out at Doors Open TO this weekend.

From many perspectives, it doesn't that good. Its immense size and the dominant metal panel cladding give it an overpowering and harshly industrial look. The narrow and tall windows just look tacked on to the heavy mass of the building, as if trying to compensate for it. When you're standing next to it, it looks good because you see the stone and glass of the first couple of floors and don't see its mass and all the metal panel cladding. But from the subway on the Bloor viaduct, it's a bad visual interruption of the scenic Don Valley with its heavy appearance.

from the subway on the Bloor viaduct, it's a bad visual interruption of the scenic Don Valley with its heavy appearance.
I really like the actual building, but I agree that the siting is really problematic -- it encroaches uniquely into the valley, unlike any other building in its vicinity. Some folks like to talk about preserving vistas with respect to various buildings, but I think in this case the hospital has very much changed the view of this part of the Don Valley for the worse.

Jogged by this morning, and the underpass of the connection between the Old Don Jail and the hospital is still closed due to construction and the demolition of the old hospital. However, the bike path from Gerrard to Riverdale Park is open (although it spills onto the grass rather than connecting to the road to the pedestrian bridge). Made for a nice route with access to the Don bike trail.

The hospital is imposing, but its connection to the park and Gerrard is much better than the old hospital.

Question: I was speaking with the fishmonger at Bill's Lobster and she was saying that they were being canvassed about a condo project to gauge community interest/opposition. Is this for one of the hospital property development blocks (e.g. the new Don Jail site or the temporary parking lot north of Gerrard) or is it completely separate (e.g. the KFC/Timmy's sites S. of Gerrard or something east of Broadview)?

Jogged by this morning, and the underpass of the connection between the Old Don Jail and the hospital is still closed due to construction and the demolition of the old hospital. However, the bike path from Gerrard to Riverdale Park is open (although it spills onto the grass rather than connecting to the road to the pedestrian bridge). Made for a nice route with access to the Don bike trail.

The hospital is imposing, but its connection to the park and Gerrard is much better than the old hospital.

Question: I was speaking with the fishmonger at Bill's Lobster and she was saying that they were being canvassed about a condo project to gauge community interest/opposition. Is this for one of the hospital property development blocks (e.g. the new Don Jail site or the temporary parking lot north of Gerrard) or is it completely separate (e.g. the KFC/Timmy's sites S. of Gerrard or something east of Broadview)?

Maybe it's for the empty lot sitting at the corner of Broadview and Gerrard.

Back