Toronto Boutique Condos | 106.37m | 35s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

• Thread starter superdeduperawesome
  • Start date
Re: the brown=wood comments. That cabinetry is not made of real wood. Thus, brown=wood is invalid.:)

Wood done right:

contemporary-solid-wood-kitchen-cherrywood-56509.jpg

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/berlo...d-wood-kitchen-br-cherrywood-49485-56509.html

9-Homebase-Kitchen-lg--gt_full_width_landscape.jpg

allmilmo-kitchen-tineo-open.jpg

contemporary-solid-wood-kitchen-chestnut-9247.jpg

Iirc, Boutique was marketed as a condo with boutique-hotel-style appointments/kitchens/design. Thus far, I see little evidence of it.:)

couple of pics

here are a couple (so similar it might just be one) taken on Friday the 27th

Attachments

• Boutique November 27 008.jpg
    Boutique November 27 008.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Boutique November 28 009.jpg
    Boutique November 28 009.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 302
thanks for these... you'll have to try and get the tower portion in next time. What building are these taken from anyway?

I didn't take them....we were having a company fundraising event at 200 King west and the person assigned to take the pictures snapped these.....they were posted on our company network so I just borrowed them.

urbandreamer,
sure that pink and black kitchen looks great in that professional photograph, but can most people live with it every day? probably not.
while brown may not be for everyone, it works for most people. is the toyota camry an exciting car? absolutely not, but it works for most people on a daily basis and thats why you see more camrys on the road than dodge challengers.

I don't think this is a valid argument to counter Urbandreamer's argument. Urbandreamer is trying to say that there are more options than just the common brown scheme and at reasonable prices. You are countering by saying that a brown kitchen is more practical for day-to-day life. What does colour have to do with practicality?

I think there are two reasons that brown is so common.
Reason 1. For alot of first time buyers, there's nothing scarier than making the wrong decision on selections. Brown is considered a safe colour choice, not too bold. And since there are so many first-time buyers, more brown!
(I'll bet if you polled first time buyers what colour scheme they want their kitchen, 75% will choose dark brown, 20% will choose all white)
Reason 2. Developers know that it's an accepted colour scheme and now offer it as a standard. 6-7 years ago, I recall darker kitchens, even flooring was taboo. Now it's very common.

Although I agree with the taste choices of Urbandreamer (nice pics by the way), I understand that most people are looking for commonalities between their purchases and other proven ones - this gives them security.

I don't think this is a valid argument to counter Urbandreamer's argument. Urbandreamer is trying to say that there are more options than just the common brown scheme and at reasonable prices. You are countering by saying that a brown kitchen is more practical for day-to-day life. What does colour have to do with practicality?

I think there are two reasons that brown is so common.
Reason 1. For alot of first time buyers, there's nothing scarier than making the wrong decision on selections. Brown is considered a safe colour choice, not too bold. And since there are so many first-time buyers, more brown!
(I'll bet if you polled first time buyers what colour scheme they want their kitchen, 75% will choose dark brown, 20% will choose all white)
Reason 2. Developers know that it's an accepted colour scheme and now offer it as a standard. 6-7 years ago, I recall darker kitchens, even flooring was taboo. Now it's very common.

Although I agree with the taste choices of Urbandreamer (nice pics by the way), I understand that most people are looking for commonalities between their purchases and other proven ones - this gives them security.

Colour has a lot to do with practicality. How well is a pink and black kitchen going to look when you try to sell the condo a few years down the road? How easy is it going to be to buy accessories for a pink and black kitchen? How quickly is it going to go out of style? How quickly will you realize that you've made the wrong decision and your kitchen looks like a king west nightclub instead of a place you want to spend your mornings eating an english muffin and reading the paper?

Tons of edgy and avant garde designs and schemes look great on glossy professional paper with perfect lighting and the most expensive materials, not always the case in the condo you don't always have time to keep spotless and actually want to live in once in a while instead of admiring.

Nobody's saying that you have to have brown. But the neutral colours will always be more common and the choice of the vast majority of buyers.

^^^

another important factor to consider, ... what were the standard selection choices?

if this was an upgrade, then it's a different matter.

but usually the developer/interior designer gives a client a limited palette to choose from amongst the 'standard' finishes and they tend to be very neutral ... a white, espresso and natural yellow wood effect (ie. birch, maple, oak)

Last edited:
Wow, I just realized how tall this will be. 35 stories? That's 1 less than Crystal Blu.

I work a block away from Boutique... this is going to be a significant tower.

Colour has a lot to do with practicality. How well is a pink and black kitchen going to look when you try to sell the condo a few years down the road? How easy is it going to be to buy accessories for a pink and black kitchen? How quickly is it going to go out of style? How quickly will you realize that you've made the wrong decision and your kitchen looks like a king west nightclub instead of a place you want to spend your mornings eating an english muffin and reading the paper?

Tons of edgy and avant garde designs and schemes look great on glossy professional paper with perfect lighting and the most expensive materials, not always the case in the condo you don't always have time to keep spotless and actually want to live in once in a while instead of admiring.

Nobody's saying that you have to have brown. But the neutral colours will always be more common and the choice of the vast majority of buyers.

I see. So you are equating practicality to 1.Re-sellability (hopefully this is the correct word), 2. Accessorizing and 3. Retaining style.

Well, for your first point on re-sellability, this proves what I stated before - brown is a safe choice. I can't refute that more people will be comfortable choosing a resale with a brown kitchen, at least for now and for the next few years. Maybe because it's THEIR first purchase as well! So practicality of investment, I'll give you that.

Second point: Accessorizing. Well, if you already have stuff that matches brown, then sure it's easier to accessorize with a brown kitchen. But there's tons of choices for EVERY colour kitchen. In fact, I'll wager this is the one room in the kitchen people are more likely to explore strong colours - small appliances and kitchen knick-knacks. So I disagree on this point.

Third, as for brown being less likely to go out of style, this is not just about colour. I think it has more to do with up-to-date appliances and innovation in materials and design.

Hey, I wouldn't want a pink kitchen either, but I also got really bored of my last brown kitchen 8 years ago. Turns out I do like the feeling of waking up in a King West nightclub!

This tower is quite slow in the grand scheme of things... How many floors do they pour a month?... It seems to be taking a while (at least to me)..

Back