Toronto Boutique Condos | 106.37m | 35s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

• Thread starter superdeduperawesome
  • Start date
I noticed a very unfortunate mistake:
IMG_5130.jpg

sany0652.jpg

The height of the railings for the french balconies on podium levels 2, 4 and 6 did not account for the raised brick sills. You could see how much higher it is than the other railings.
You could barely stick your head out the balcony!

Yup. I live in Boutique, and that's exactly how it is. It's REALLY annoying. You actually have to step up onto the bulkhead to look out the railing. And that thing wasn't meant to be stepped on, as it can't support much weight.

Yup. I live in Boutique, and that's exactly how it is. It's REALLY annoying. You actually have to step up onto the bulkhead to look out the railing. And that thing wasn't meant to be stepped on, as it can't support much weight.

This is crazy....I'd like to see this, any units on floors 2,4,6 available for sale?

that seems like a bit of an exaggeration... I would hesitate to draw any conclusions until I see photos with someone holding a tape measure up to each of the balconies. I think its more of an optical illusion. I have a suspision that the individual floor heights are different. On floor 7 for example you can notice an extra layer of panelling above the balcony door which does not appear on the floors below it.

Last edited:
It's likely a building code issue, not an error. Since the window wall unit is sitting on brick, and not on the floor as it is on other floors, it creates a step in front of the juliet balcony. Building code would require the railing be a specified height above the step, not from the floor. The same situation does not occur on the adjacent balacony (where they have a consistent height with the other balconies, but a lower glass portion) as the railing is flush with the inside brick and therefor does not create a step.

yes, i read his post but I prefer to use my own observation skills. Why then has he never brought it up before? Also, saying that you can barely stick your head out is an exaggeration. I tried measuring the floor heights using a ruler on my computer screen and it appears the even and odd numbered floors are different ceiling heights (measured from bottom of floor to bottom of floor). Perhaps someone has access to stacking plans to confirm this and of course my method is open to being flawed. The 7th floor is easily observable to be a taller ceiling height...

Just took these photos.

Some rather shoddy looking brickwork on the south side.

2011.01.06%20-%20Boutique%20Condos%20(1).jpg

The construction elevators are down. Can't wait to see this finally finished.

2011.01.06%20-%20Boutique%20Condos%20(2).jpg

it's understandable if you were to step out on the window sill you could stick your head out (awkwardly as Kristopher mentioned), but standing inside the unit (on the floor) it would be difficult to do so (especially if you're not tall).

As a code issue it makes sense as the horizonatal surface immediately behind the railing is the window sill, not the floor.
I could imagine having that handrail right at eye level when you are standing inside looking out which could be annoying.

Kristopher: how do you like living there?

that seems like a bit of an exaggeration... I would hesitate to draw any conclusions until I see photos with someone holding a tape measure up to each of the balconies. I think its more of an optical illusion. I have a suspision that the individual floor heights are different. On floor 7 for example you can notice an extra layer of panelling above the balcony door which does not appear on the floors below it.

Kristopher is right. I also live in boutique and have visited various units in the building.

Podium units have 8' ceilings EXCEPT for the 7th floor. They're the only podium floor to have 9' ceilings. As for the french balconies on floors 2, 4, 6.. the balconies are raised pretty high that you do have to step onto the window ledge to look out! Only one person can really look out the french balcony at a time.

it's understandable if you were to step out on the window sill you could stick your head out (awkwardly as Kristopher mentioned), but standing inside the unit (on the floor) it would be difficult to do so (especially if you're not tall).

As a code issue it makes sense as the horizonatal surface immediately behind the railing is the window sill, not the floor.
I could imagine having that handrail right at eye level when you are standing inside looking out which could be annoying.

Kristopher: how do you like living there?

Ya, when I stand on the floor, the railing is pretty much at eye level. It's really lame. And when I stand on the ledge, I have to slightly duck my head to look out, and I'm only 5'7".

To answer your question: I don't really like it much. The only decent thing about it is the rooftop with it's amazing view.

Ya, when I stand on the floor, the railing is pretty much at eye level. It's really lame. And when I stand on the ledge, I have to slightly duck my head to look out, and I'm only 5'7".

To answer your question: I don't really like it much. The only decent thing about it is the rooftop with it's amazing view.

Hey Khristopher,
are you in boutique 1 or 2? I ask because you mentioned the view. My question is this: from boutique 2, is there a view of the cn tower, or is the ritz blocking the view? In particular, the view from the PH level of B2? Thanks.
rs

Seriously?

ScenicTowers.jpg

Thanks Bitty Kitty,
That's awesome - if it's to scale (or close to scale!).
And in case anyone is wondering, occupancy for the PH units (likely the final units to get occupancy) is late March.
$45,000 in upgrades so hopefully it's gonna be a nicely finished unit.
thanks again,
rs

Back