Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

I like the lamport idea. But just thought of another idea. What about at Ontario Place?

Just throwing it out there. It helps make it more of a destination. I'm sure there'd be a lot of resistance with that idea though.

I like the lamport idea. But just thought of another idea. What about at Ontario Place?

Just throwing it out there. It helps make it more of a destination. I'm sure there'd be a lot of resistance with that idea though.

Why not just build a duplicate field opposite of BMO field. There is room for it to fit between BMO and Ricoh.

Why not just build a duplicate field opposite of BMO field. There is room for it to fit between BMO and Ricoh.

I like that better. IMO York would be the worst choice. As someone mentioned, there's a lot of Argos fans in the 905. So it's best to have the stadium on a GO line.

York:

- will have Black Creek subway station on a line that goes into the 905, and one which will some day have a transfer from a two-way all-day GO station at Downsview Park
- is close to the 905ers' own highway, the 407, and it's close to the 400

…so that seems reasonable to me.

Otherwise, maybe this is something that Markham could shoot for instead of the hockey arena. That's at a GO station, close to the $07 and the 404…

York:

- will have Black Creek subway station on a line that goes into the 905, and one which will some day have a transfer from a two-way all-day GO station at Downsview Park
- is close to the 905ers' own highway, the 407, and it's close to the 400

…so that seems reasonable to me.

Otherwise, maybe this is something that Markham could shoot for instead of the hockey arena. That's at a GO station, close to the $07 and the 404…

Toronto has been fortunate to always have its teams in a central downtown location. In other markets teams have been put out in the suburbs, united centre comes to mind or where the senators play. Almost each stadium built in the suburbs was because of cheap land or because they thought they could make development deals. Often times the development deals never came and the areas remained suburban. In the states a lot of these markets are trying to go back to downtown locations because downtowns are booming again. It would be hard to understand the reasoning when so many teams are looking for downtown locations to build one in suburbia no matter how much transit there is out there. When people go to games they dont just go to the games. They make a day out of it and go out to eat or shop after which makes downtown more friendly. Varsity stadium was the argos big mistake. But moving out to York uni would be even worse.

Toronto has been fortunate to always have its teams in a central downtown location. In other markets teams have been put out in the suburbs, united centre comes to mind or where the senators play. Almost each stadium built in the suburbs was because of cheap land or because they thought they could make development deals. Often times the development deals never came and the areas remained suburban. In the states a lot of these markets are trying to go back to downtown locations because downtowns are booming again. It would be hard to understand the reasoning when so many teams are looking for downtown locations to build one in suburbia no matter how much transit there is out there. When people go to games they dont just go to the games. They make a day out of it and go out to eat or shop after which makes downtown more friendly. Varsity stadium was the argos big mistake. But moving out to York uni would be even worse.

Suburban success: NE Patriots. They're in the middle of nowhere but now have a small mall and movie theatre at theirs. So they get visitors all year not just during the season.

Fail: Washington Redskins. Just a stadium surrounded by residential developments. You go to the stadium and back to the metro after the game. Nothing in walking distance of interest.

I'm not arguing to remove the Argos from downtown, I'm just saying that there are some viable options in the suburbs.

It's different here than in 99% of the US—or at least it will be soon if/when two-way all-day GO service gets going—regarding the impact of holding major sports games in the suburbs on the transportation system: it will be relatively easy for us to handle once our trains are running frequently to those areas.

While York will have the subway station, I agree, it won't have the ambiance for the rest of the day-out fun you talk about, unless you bring your bonnets and spend some time at Pioneer Village. Markham, on the other hand, fully intends to have a vibrant new downtown in the next decade, and they want a sports venue in it, although yes, it's a hockey arena they've been hoping for.

So while I don't think that appropriate suburban locations should be out of consideration here, my preference would be to see Lamport or Varsity improved. Lamport might get some help from a future Relief Line station, or improved service to Exhibition GO station—it would need improved transit one way or the other, or both—and there's much more to come in the Liberty Village and Queen West Triangle areas in regards to day-out options.

Well it was always going to be a multi-purpose stadium, that was the style at the time. But it was the 70th Grey Cup at Exhibition Stadium that had thousands of people protesting in front of city hall for a domed stadium, and started the talks about it.

Let me get this straight. So Argos fans wanted to get away from Exhibition stadium because it was too cold and windy and had crazy weather elements being right next to the lake and wanted to go to a Domed stadium, just to now blame poor attendance and atmosphere on the domed stadium and want to go to BMO field which is located on the Exhibition grounds near the lake where there's crazy wind and weather. Good grief, Charlie Brown lol

I like the York university location, I am a big tennis fan and I think the most underrated sports event of the year is the Tennis tournament up there (Rogers Cup)

I wonder if football stadiums has the same location appeal as other sports. When you talk about arena (NBA/NHL) you can have multi-games a week. Baseball you have 81 home dates. While football it's a once every other week (if you take into account away games) and the CFL only has 9 regular season games spread out over 4 or 5 months. It needs to be at least partnered with a university, I always liked the York idea.

Lamport has enough space for a 30K CFL stadium but it would be an extremely tight fit, and has already been rejected as a potential site as far as I know.

Anyway, I think the BMO deal that includes the Argos will go through eventually.

A big part of the football experience is the tailgating, which would be difficult to do at Lamport. I think that would be another thing the York location would have going for itself.

Let me get this straight. So Argos fans wanted to get away from Exhibition stadium because it was too cold and windy and had crazy weather elements being right next to the lake and wanted to go to a Domed stadium, just to now blame poor attendance and atmosphere on the domed stadium and want to go to BMO field which is located on the Exhibition grounds near the lake where there's crazy wind and weather. Good grief, Charlie Brown lol

Yupp, that's why I've always been incredulous about the idea that the Argos should move to BMO. They've tried that already. It didn't work. I wanted them to make the Skydome work between the Jays and Argos, but Rogers has proven time and time again that they want the Argos to fail.

Lamport has enough space for a 30K CFL stadium but it would be an extremely tight fit, and has already been rejected as a potential site as far as I know.

Lamport (not BMO Field) was Canada's first soccer specific stadium and it was a potential site the CSA was looking for a Toronto stadium.....it must say something that even then it was deemed easier/cheaper/better to build new rather than renovate/expand Lamport.....no?

I like the York university location, I am a big tennis fan and I think the most underrated sports event of the year is the Tennis tournament up there (Rogers Cup)

Agree....Rogers Cup is a great event....I am not even a huge tennis fan but the event is well run and a great way to spend some time in the summer!

The reason I was wondering if Argo fans would go to games at York after the subway opens is because we are building a new stadium at York right now.....as it stands it is undersized for CFL but it may make more sense for them to find a way to expand that stadium than mess around with BMO or Lamport.

Back