Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

^^No, 50% of 20,000 is 10,000- so ultimately, they mean to increase it by 50% of what it is now, by adding 10,000.

I like the idea of expanding the stadium- it makes both a lot of sense for fans here and for any potential international games we may have in the future. While, 30,000 may sound like to little, it is actually a fair size and would be, as jn_12 stated, quite in keeping with the same seating capacities as most or at least many european clubs.

I don't like the idea of MLSE not having to pay for it though. I am not sure what the financial plans will say in the end, but the city should not be spending money so that MLSE does not!

p5

No 20k * 0.50= 10k

10k +20k =30k

An increase to 40k would be times 20k *1.00= 20k
20k+ 20k= 40K

Many people get confused when people say you double something it is actually an increase of 100%... :D

As for outside the stadium, I've made a lot of noise in other threads about turning the CNE grounds in to a pedestrian area with many of the CNE buildings turned into museums. Considering the area is served by both GO and TTC very well, there is no need for such a large parking lot. There's a lot of potential there if we got past the notion that the CNE is something special. Let it go elsewhere and become a truly national exhibition. We can do better than it.

So the CNE's whose long history is responsible for these buildings you speak of (to be turned into museums) should just be booted out after its contribution to the city and those grounds?

The CNE's way of thinking is evolving with a focus on youth and new ideas. Give it time before writing off the fair which many of us grew up with and many tourists visit in the summer. I know from experience that tourists who are here for a second time (or more) in the summer, choose to be here at the specific time that the CNE is ongoing because they enjoyed it the first time around.

I'd also like to see those parking lots gone and there's no reason why improving the grounds and the continuation of the CNE can't coexist.

Indeed, I want to see a village style built form – where the pedestrian rules – develop at Exhibition Place.

If you look at Live Maps of Exhibition Place, you'll see that the CNE takes up very little space. It's the trailers and parking that take up a good 60% of the grounds.

The National Trade Centre, BMO Field and now The Convention Centre @ The Automotive Building are all part of Exhibition Place's move to stay relevant for the remainder of the year and to become a part of the city.

Other projects are in motion that will continue that trend, all while maintaining the CNE and in fact improving it.

Now back to our regular programming: BMO Field.

I just think the area and its buildings are one of Toronto's underused assets. Most people don't even know they exist and they're some of the finest examples of architecture in the city. There's just so much potential that it's a shame we don't utilize it because of two weeks where we feel we need a sugar rush. I don't care what the original reason was for a building's existance. It's irrelevant to me because if you can do something that enhances its use and maximizes its potential than do it.

As for the stadium, I think they're going to need to do some structural strengthening if they want to build another tier. Considering the stadium has some issues in terms of its shaky-ness due to the rowdy fans, I can't imagine how shaky things would feel if you were on a second tier.

There's already a second tier on the West side. The building was designed to be expanded. There's room on the East (upper stand) and on the North where there's currently no seating.

In the latter case, you'd have to get rid of the Food Building which is something that Exhibition Place will not allow. Therefore, the assumption is that they'll go for the only remaining option: a second tier on the East.

Prediction: eventually there will be a call for a 50,000 seat stadium. This will be followed by calls for a retractible roof so that the stadium can be used all year around. ;)

I think the magic number should be 40,000. That's the number required for a stadium to host the World Cup.

However I think that this growth should be gradual, or even "organic". Let the TFC fans develop a tradition behind each and every section of BMO Field (like giving each section a nickname, etc.), and also to wait for other Canadian cities like Montreal and Vancouver to get their own MLS teams to raise more interest in Canadian soccer. Then we'll raise the capacity to 40,000.

I just think the area and its buildings are one of Toronto's underused assets. Most people don't even know they exist and they're some of the finest examples of architecture in the city. There's just so much potential that it's a shame we don't utilize it because of two weeks where we feel we need a sugar rush. I don't care what the original reason was for a building's existance. It's irrelevant to me because if you can do something that enhances its use and maximizes its potential than do it.

I feel the same way. Every time I pass by the Liberty Grand building I gaze at it in awe and think it would make a fantastic museum. A lot of these gems of buildings are criminally underutilized. With a bold vision the grounds could become a year-round destination, sort of like a western version of the Distillery District, except on a much larger scale and without the intrusion of condos.

There's already a second tier on the West side. The building was designed to be expanded. There's room on the East (upper stand) and on the North where there's currently no seating.

In the latter case, you'd have to get rid of the Food Building which is something that Exhibition Place will not allow. Therefore, the assumption is that they'll go for the only remaining option: a second tier on the East.

ya the issue with the East side is that you lose to skyline view. Part of me wishes they'd build a Kop like South side (see Liverpool's Anfield stadium) where all the rowdys sit in one massive single tiered section instead of a second tier there. I don't know how many seats that would add - maybe 3 or 4000.

I guess really in my mind it just comes down to whether they want to keep the view or not, because it really is one of the best views in the city, and very few stadiums around the world have a view as great.

^ Good point about the view but there aren't any other options. Either the North is expanded (bye bye Food Building) – which wouldn't really add that many seats – or they add a second tier on the East. If they're going to do that, they should also complete the overhang to make it more comfortable for the crowds.

I like how this building can expand but I'm also very aware that it was also built to be easily dismantled. Essentially, this is just a bunch of temporary bleachers with some more permanent structures built around and below.

If and when TorontoFC becomes as big as ... say the Raptors, I don't see why MLSE wouldn't want to build a high end home for them. There's room immediately next door. Reminds me of how Benfica (Lisbon) built their new Luz Stadium (65,600 seats) next door to their old 120,000 seat stadium.

Furthermore, I should add that I wish the stadium had been built with an orientation and provision for the Indy to pass through. This would involve having large openings on either end and removable turf. The stadium could have served as a perfect viewing area for the Indy and could have expanded the profile of the race in Toronto and abroad.

I hope this is considered in the future when the stadium gets either rebuilt or expanded.

Back