Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

I like the draconian rule-based system... isn't it the job of the condo board to ensure the long-term resale value of the building is maintained/enhanced by keeping to strict exterior aesthetic rules? There's a reason why window coverings can only be white or off-white in many buildings, for example. 22 Wellesley looks like crap, everybody knows it, and I would be ashamed to invite people over only to see the junk collected on neighbours balconies overlooking the street, if I lived there.

The nature of urban living is that, without ridiculous exceptions, people have a right to use their balcony/living space however they please.

Glass buildings open up other people's lives to the outer streetscape and skyline, but that's not something that can or really should be tightly controlled.

If you maintain your unit well, I'm sure your friends would not be embarassed for you.

Perhaps that's why randomized mullion/glass facades with alternating coloured blocks or solid sections look good because they sort of create a chaos to the exterior that mimics the way organic placement of BBQ's, bikes, balcony and garden furniture and plants, eventually become a part of the building.

Architecture is very organic. A rare case would be something like X Condo which is designed with inverted, hardly-transparent balconies to ensure a slick, standardized facade.

Music to my... eyes(?):
balconies.jpg

Last edited:
people have a right to use their balcony/living space however they please.

Depends on the building. Most often your balcony actually belongs to the condo corporation and is considered common area (for the exclusive use of the unit owner). Same rule applies to your front door - you don't own it and cannot alter the look of it, for example.

Well I mean, I think it should be a right. I think there should be some restrictions for certain buildings, but for the most part I feel that balconies should be up for use however the owner wants.

Architecture needs to be functional first. Bottom line. And aesthetic concerns can be incorporated into that definition.

I like the draconian rule-based system... isn't it the job of the condo board to ensure the long-term resale value of the building is maintained/enhanced by keeping to strict exterior aesthetic rules? There's a reason why window coverings can only be white or off-white in many buildings, for example. 22 Wellesley looks like crap, everybody knows it, and I would be ashamed to invite people over only to see the junk collected on neighbours balconies overlooking the street, if I lived there.

The job of the condo board is not singular as you surely know (yet still argue otherwise), but should never tread into subjective territory such as exterior aesthetics. A building's value draws primarily from its location, finishes, developer, price, neighborhood, market, along with a host of other factors which affect resale far more dramatically than one's errant possessions.

That said, I don't think anyone would object to the removal of something offensive such as a "God Hates Fags" banner or even something somewhat truthful, like "Fuck Bush," since both messages clearly pander to a particular audience. Since however, few are as offended by BBQ's and lawn furniture as yourself, there are no laws to guide their removal. Perhaps you could team up with Rami and create IllegalBalconies in the meantime?

I just think it's anti-urban to be overly resrictive about this.

If they person uses their balcony as a junk-storage room, and has clutter sitting above the height of the balcony railing, then okay, that is wrong, and would look equally bad in a backyard or front lawn of a detached house.

But BBQs, bikes, trees, furniture... bring it on. ;)

The job of the condo board is not singular as you surely know (yet still argue otherwise), but should never tread into subjective territory such as exterior aesthetics.

I don't see how you can prevent condo board gauleiters from doing precisely that.

Those of us living in houses present ourselves to the world as we choose - curtain colours! front door colours! coloured awnings! coloured blinds! stained glass windows! - but when you buy a condo you sign away such freedoms of self expression.

Fortunately, when I'm jolted awake by a deep rumbling sound outside my windows early on Wednesday mornings, it's not the Prague Spring of tanks rolling through Riverdale to police my window coverings ... it is my neighbours rolling out their blue bins for curbside collection.

Those of us living in houses present ourselves to the world as we choose - curtain colours! front door colours! coloured awnings! coloured blinds! stained glass windows! - but when you buy a condo you sign away such freedoms of self expression.

No, you sign away your ability to PAINT your windows and balcony, and install your own glass, with a condo.

That doesn't mean you should be told what can be put ON your balcony (within reason).

I think 22 is often cited because of a couple of balconies on the lower levels which catch the eye as they are being used for storage areas, it's not balcony furniture or commonly related utilities. 22 also has purple or red curtains on the north side which has also caught my eye several times, it appears the BoD doesn't have an interest in enforcing the rules here. So be it.
On the other hand, as noted, when you look at Spire, Murano, Radio City, 100 Yorkville etc. they look "lived in" and that's great. I don't see the grand look of these buildings lessened to any effect because balconies are being put to use the way that they were intended. I'm confident that Casa will turn out the same. BSN will have a combination of fancy "pippy-poo" (UrbanShockerâ„¢) glass balconies and precast so it shouldn't be an issue there.

August 6 2009 update

This 'thing' ~
IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Perhaps the only view of BSN I can accept
IMG_1439.jpg

A lot of people think that Casa is an Italian name but Cresford has released some new information that it is actually an acronym standing for Crappy Armani, Shi**y amenities

A lot of people think that Casa is an Italian name but Cresford has released some new information that it is actually an acronym standing for Crappy Armani, Shi**y amenities

I understand that you may really like BSN, but what's with the massive hate-on for Casa?

Are you a salesman at BSN or something?

CASA is far better than BSN "Bottom-rung Shitty Nonarchitecture"

I understand that you may really like BSN, but what's with the massive hate-on for Casa?

Are you a salesman at BSN or something?

LOL ... I thought the same sales person represents BSN and CASA ~ :D

pepper79 is probably just an anxious BSN purchaser ~

Back