News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 666     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

Need more north stations

No. They'll be poorly used since hardly anyone will want to bike uphill. What would be nice though is to set up the "satellite" service areas like the city suggested a few years ago - one on Eglinton between Mount Pleasant and Allen Road and north along Yonge to Lawrence, another on Yonge between Avondale and Cummer.

More stations near Spadina King-Queen is great. There are often no docks in the morning as this is a huge employment area for tech companies with the Richmond/Adelaide bike lanes running through. I especially like seeing new ones right on Adelaide/Spadina and Richmond since they are right on the bike lanes.

Obviously the eastern beaches and many other areas need stations next but this is great news. More station density/capacity was needed and the western waterfront trail coverage is a great addition

No. They'll be poorly used since hardly anyone will want to bike uphill. What would be nice though is to set up the "satellite" service areas like the city suggested a few years ago - one on Eglinton between Mount Pleasant and Allen Road, another on Yonge between Avondale and Cummer.

I agree, if they were to expand north of St Clair they'd have to do it with many stations at once in the area so that it's viable to bike from & to the subway stations. But there are higher priorities

No. They'll be poorly used since hardly anyone will want to bike uphill. What would be nice though is to set up the "satellite" service areas like the city suggested a few years ago - one on Eglinton between Mount Pleasant and Allen Road and north along Yonge to Lawrence, another on Yonge between Avondale and Cummer.

This expansion really reaches St. Clair, at least in pockets. That to be is the 'big hill' that might be of concern.

If you reach that point, I don't think the hill up to Eglinton is particularly problematic.

That said, I agree w/you that satellite clusters make a great deal of sense.

North-York Centre being an obvious one.

I would, however, place the greatest priority on extending along Queen East and in the Eastern Beaches, w/some logical gaps filled in the N-S connections in the east end; that strikes me as having the greatest latent demand.

Not sure what the acronym is, but it's basically just that - a station where you can't use your credit card. I'm assuming they'll install them in places where there's a standard station within a block or two.

Don't all stations have this? Maybe I'm ignorant since i have a membership, but I assumed all stations had a pay machine at them.

putting stations along Yonge St to Yonge/Eglinton and along the Beltline would create a nice connection all the way to the employment cluster around Caledonia/Castlefield -> Y-E centre as a sort of Cycling highway. I'm sure once Eglinton Connects gets implemented they'll do this as well as add stations along Eglinton Proper itself. I think it's really more about not spending money on putting stations because there's so much construction and so very little room to put stations currently.

What I don't get is their neglect of the east end. Some stations around the Beaches would be nice to have, but Dundas/Gerrard & Carlaw is a massive and unjustifiable gap in the system.
Ward 30 Councillor Paula Fletcher replied to me on Twitter saying expansion in the east is planned for 2018. I tagged ward 32 councillor McMahon in the conversation, so hopefully she can advocate for the Beaches. I also tweeted to the relevant BIAs hoping they'll advocate as well (and emailed Pape Village since they don't have Twitter for some reason - that leaves me skeptical they'll rally behind bicycles, though...).

Paula Fletcher‏Verified account @PaulaFletcher30 7h7 hours ago
More
Plans are in the works for further expansion in 2018 - Leslie Spit, Dundas St. East and further east on Queen.

I will say, I'm happy to see the expansion to the edge of High Park. MGT expansion is nice too. I'm also happy that they're getting closer to St. Clair. That opens up the network a little more northward, about as far north as would make sense. As it stands today, you can just about make it to the centre of the network from any of the edges of the network in about the half-hour window, which is a good metric, in my mind. And as long as there's enough waystations along the MGT, you're still into the downtown core with one re-docking at most.

I was getting a little worried we wouldn't see much expansion at all this year, after last year's big expansion. I'm just glad to see there will be more bikes in the network, as pockets of the network can get pretty sparse randomly through the week.

With the expansions, I hope they increase the free time from 30 min. Maybe to 45 min, like Montreal. Would give some more leeway to travel across the expanded network.

Montreal Bixi bikes are pretty good. The only problem is you have to bring them back every 30 mins and get an another one. I don't understand why they do that.

Back