News   May 13, 2024
 774     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 753     0 

Toronto Bike Share

We already have dockless bikes in Hamilton -- it was one of the world's biggest GPS-tracked dockless fleet until China rapidly jumped on this bandwagon frentically! (Granted, the Chinese dockless bikes use a simpler system that relies more on a scout honor -- no electronic U-bar like SoBi).

The China bikes use a rear-wheel lock on the bike. I guess you could steal it (by lifting it up and carrying it). Similar mechanism to the wheel lock on shopping carts if they are taken out of the parking lot.

They are also a lot cheaper than the Hamilton bikes to produce (probably 50-75% cheaper). So they can afford to lose a few and still be ahead of the cost of the Hamilton bikes.

But who would steal it when you can ride it for $0.20? Not worth the effort.

Yeah, why not. They should pay a fee to contribute for cycling infrastructure since they're taking up more than their fair share.
No one likes it if I spread my bags on multiple seats on a crowded bus, making it so that other people who want a seat are unable to sit down.

Besides, don't car-share companies pay to keep their cars parked in public places?

Car share companies pay the same or less than automobiles. So I agree that bike shares should pay the same or less than existing cyclists....is there something less than $0? :)

And there are no city-owned car shares. We are already heavily subsidizing one company (and giving them free parking). Why would we want to discourage someone who is willing to take this on (and if it is successful we can cease to subsidize this type of service)?

Car share companies pay the same or less than automobiles.

Source? Vehicle registration/plate stickers would be the same as any privately owned vehicle, and on a per-vehicle basis, carshare vehicles are driven much more than a typical private car that sits in a garage most of the time so the amount of gas consumed, and thus gas tax paid, is much higher. If anything, on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis, I think they pay more. Also, keep in mind that any given carshare vehicle has more drivers than an average privately owned vehicle, so that's more people paying their driver's license renewal fee.

We are already heavily subsidizing one company (and giving them free parking).

Source on that, too? I'm not aware of either subsidization or free parking for Car2Go, Enterprise CarShare, or Zipcar. All 3 have contracts with the city to pay a mutually agreed upon, and IMO fair rate for certain on-street parking spaces and spaces in Green P lots; besides that, they all do business with some private lot operators, and Car2Go also does residential street parking by trying to stay within the time limits and paying tickets when they can't. None of them receive free parking that I know of beyond that offered to all vehicles in the city.

Source? Vehicle registration/plate stickers would be the same as any privately owned vehicle, and on a per-vehicle basis, carshare vehicles are driven much more than a typical private car that sits in a garage most of the time so the amount of gas consumed, and thus gas tax paid, is much higher. If anything, on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis, I think they pay more. Also, keep in mind that any given carshare vehicle has more drivers than an average privately owned vehicle, so that's more people paying their driver's license renewal fee.

Source on that, too? I'm not aware of either subsidization or free parking for Car2Go, Enterprise CarShare, or Zipcar. All 3 have contracts with the city to pay a mutually agreed upon, and IMO fair rate for certain on-street parking spaces and spaces in Green P lots; besides that, they all do business with some private lot operators, and Car2Go also does residential street parking by trying to stay within the time limits and paying tickets when they can't. None of them receive free parking that I know of beyond that offered to all vehicles in the city.

I was referring to the funding of the bixi bikes. Sorry for not being clear.

I was responding to someone expecting that we should tax bike shares and trying to refute their arguements liking it to auto shares.

Its crazy that some people are so opposed to private operators. As soon as they hear that the city isn't going to raise the price of the service with their bloated middle management and very expensive employee benefits they go into shock.

Today they announced that on Wednesdays in July, cyclists will be able to use Bike Share for free (for 30 minutes at a time). Also, ridership is way up from last year.

More: http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2017/06/23/bike-share-toronto-free-rides.html

Ugh, really? I have a membership but have been getting increasingly frustrated with it becoming more popular. Their bike redistribution service isn't frequent enough, and I think is non-existent on weekends. I've found stations completely empty on the weekend (all day) at U of T on a regular basis. Literally 5 or 6 stations near each other all completely devoid of bikes. What's the point of my membership if I have to walk 15-20 minutes to a station that has bikes.

Either they need more frequent redistribution or they need to increase capacity at a number of the most heavily used stations.

Announcement tomorrow as per this:
Bike Share Toronto announcement

Julie Dzerowicz, Member of Parliament for Davenport, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Ontario Minister of Transportation; and His Worship, Mayor John Tory, will be making an announcement about Bike Share Toronto.

Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Time: 10 a.m. (EDT)
Location: 24 Ward St. (corner of Ward Street and Wallace Avenue), Toronto, Ontario

This advisory is also available in French on the City of Toronto website at ow.ly/abRx30e4PaG.

- 30 -

Posting the expansion map:
bikeshareTO.jpg

I don't think this will solve Student99's grief around U of T

Attachments

• bikeshareTO.jpg
    bikeshareTO.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 659
Something interesting from the email they sent out:

"We are also adding 35 SMART stations! They are fast, friendly and easy to use, especially for our members. SMART Stations do not have Kiosks so you either need to have your key card or use Transit App to access a bike."

It's nice to see an expansion westward to Humber Bay, considering how many condos there are and how easy it is to bike into the city along the MGT. What I don't get is their neglect of the east end. Some stations around the Beaches would be nice to have, but Dundas/Gerrard & Carlaw is a massive and unjustifiable gap in the system.

There's also a competing, private bike share service on campus at U of T. TPA probably doesn't want to compete against them and prefers to focus on bike commuters.

Back