News   May 16, 2024
 433     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 689     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.7K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Two more docks today, this time out in @Towered and @Amare land.....

Islington Station

and

Mabelle Park

Bring us to 713 stations.

View attachment 512850
Ah a very long awaited station at Islington is very good to see. Will come in handy for all the times the useless TTC decides to have service meltdowns on the subways which seems to happen every other day at this point.

Also another station I was surprised to see is about to be activated at Lake Shore and 16th St (Col Sam Smith park):

20231013_142531.JPG

^Love it! Great infill station for Lake Shore, and that Queensway station is fantastic. Just need a couple more stations along The Queensway and one should be able to get around that street much easier instead of relying on that every 30 min non-frequent "service" bestowed on locals by the TTC.

The long term goal should be that every person in the city is less than a minute walk from the nearest station.

That standard would far higher than for TTC bus stops.

You're talking more than 3,000 docks, at the low end and more than 30,000 bikes.

or more than 3x the current expansion plan at roll out.

To be clear, that's based on flawless equi-distance, which absolutely is not happening for a host of reasons; including that it would under serve high demand areas.

So let's make it 4,000 docks and 40,000 bikes.

I'm very pro-bikeshare and very behind the program's expansion and rollout and making it more aggressive than what's been approved............

But that's a bit much in the near term.

That standard would far higher than for TTC bus stops.

You're talking more than 3,000 docks, at the low end and more than 30,000 bikes.

or more than 3x the current expansion plan at roll out.

To be clear, that's based on flawless equi-distance, which absolutely is not happening for a host of reasons; including that it would under serve high demand areas.

So let's make it 4,000 docks and 40,000 bikes.

I'm very pro-bikeshare and very behind the program's expansion and rollout and making it more aggressive that what's been approved............

But that's a bit much in the near term.
From what I gather from recent analytical work, it seems like rides per bike/per station reach a bit of a saturation point and ridership growth requires further expansion. I'm not sure there is that much leverage on existing stations/bikes. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the data.

From what I gather from recent analytical work, it seems like rides per bike/per station reach a bit of a saturation point and ridership growth requires further expansion. I'm not sure there is that much leverage on existing stations/bikes. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the data.

No question; and that is the plan.

I was simply noting that every person within a 1 minute walk of a station/dock is not realistic in the near term.

There are over 4,000 TTC bus stops, yet I don't think the majority of residents reside with a 60s walk of a stop (though many of us do).

I'm all in favour of expansion, as I noted. I'm just trying to temper expectations a bit.

I would add existing docks will see further growth as cycling infra improves and usage improves (busy cycle tracks draw more interest than empty ones)

Reactions: PL1
Inching, ever so slowly in the direction of @Towered

2 new docks:

1698093315349.png

1698093336082.png

Not yet on the map, but Keele/Ingram (between Eglinton and Lawrence) should go live tomorrow I would think.

That brings us to 720 Docks/Stations City wide.

I rode to the Dundas/Bloor (near Kipling) dock this morning. Still quite an epic walk from there to the MiWay part of Kipling station. This station is so ridiculously spread out.... Hopefully we'll get a couple of docks at the actual station someday, at least one at each end. :)

I should have just docked at Islington and got on a bus there, but I mainly did this to get to the end for the hell of it.

Back