9.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 493     0 

Toronto...best dodged bullet?

S

samsonyuen

There are a lot of great projects that have been built and are under construction in Toronto. How about proposals that failed to see the light of day?

Spadina Expressway
Scaborough Expressway
Queen Subway (not that I think so)
Original Bay-Adelaide Centre
Maple Leaf Gardens above Union Station
etc.

I wanna see that queen subway built. (in my lifetime)

The Eaton Centre proposal that would have seen Old City Hall demolished, save for the clock tower strikes me as a good candidate. Also, any of the alternate designs for City Hall.

The CN Tower was originally designed as a three-legged tower, without the observation area. That would have stunk.

Add the Dome up in North York.

That weird thing the Reichmans were going to build at Parc Downsview Not a Park. I forget it's name.

Oh c'mon, Technodome would have been fantastic. We would have beat the U.A.E. at their own game - gaudy all-in-one structures.

Kind of like the London Millennium Dome. Technodome would have been a miserable failure.

Weren't they planning to cover Wonderland a few years back?

^That was just an urban legend. Same as moving it to SW Ontario.

I think the Technodome would've been cool. And the O2 Centre (né Millenium Dome) is getting a rebirth as an entertainment and performance venue. It's gonna be great!

That was just an urban legend

No it wasn't. The Bloor/Bayview extension ramps off the DVP were designed to be ramps for the Crosstown Exp. I even have a map with it drawn in as if under construction.

I think the "urban legend" was referring to the doming of Wonderland. (That's the confusion that hiccuped postings'll get ya.)

Metro Centre - the demolition of Union Station, the replacement of the rail yards with identical office towers, a sterile convention centre, a stadium and a communications tower.

The CN Tower was the only thing built. The convention centre was built further west on Front, the domed stadium 20 years later, also further west than planned.

Second place goes to the Spadina Expressway, because the end of that project also saw the death of the Scarborough Expressway (the Crosstown perhaps, but it was dying in the last Spadina proposals).

I thought most of Metro Centre was built: the replacement of the rail yards with identical ( condo ) towers, a sterile convention centre, a stadium and a communications tower. Maybe not exactly as planned, but pretty close.

Back