Toronto Bellwoods House | 45.5m | 13s | Republic | Arcadis

Building new market rate housing won't solve the affordability crisis on its own, at least not in the short term, but obstructing or delaying new market rate construction absolutely will make affordability worse. We need enormous amounts of below-market housing and we also need lots of market housing.
For sure, and I should add I'm not at all against this proposal and am generally against homeowners complaining about new developments in their vicinity. I do however disagree with demonizing the existence of single family homes in our older downtown neighbourhoods, as I feel there's still plenty of room to develop new housing while preserving the general (largely inimitable and irreplaceable) environment of Toronto's older established neighbourhoods.

Also, I don't live in Toronto proper anymore, so it's not from a NIMBY or self-serving perspective.

There has been no delay here, this is the standard process, looks like all the others. I see no reason why this will differ either.
For sure. My comment was in the context of NIMBYs demanding a reduction to six storeys.

For sure, and I should add I'm not at all against this proposal and am generally against homeowners complaining about new developments in their vicinity. I do however disagree with demonizing the existence of single family homes in our older downtown neighbourhoods, as I feel there's still plenty of room to develop new housing while preserving the general (largely inimitable and irreplaceable) environment of Toronto's older established neighbourhoods.
I don't think even the most rabid YIMBY is saying that there should be no more single family homes, just that they should not form a monoculture enforced by planning policy. Given that house neighbourhoods have been shrinking in population for decades, preserving their built form in amber hardly seems like a recipe for a healthy and vibrant city, even before considering issues of affordability and access. Also, I'd be more sympathetic to arguments about how nice the old neighbourhoods look if we weren't in the midst of a decades-long housing crisis. Anyway, this discussion probably belongs in the zoning reform thread so I'll leave it at that.

Sure; but two things.

1) There has been no delay here, this is the standard process, looks like all the others. I see no reason why this will differ either.

2) As I noted over in the sprawl thread; the industry is very fully taxed and literally cannot build any faster than it is. If this project were approved tonight; it would not start work for months or longer as it awaited crew and equipment availability.
Republic don't own this. It would be years at the earliest.

As I surmised last week, this one is subject of a report to the next meeting of TEYCC, in which staff will seek to support a settlement before OLT.

1680271746335.png

A couple of other items:

1680271832860.png

And, something for @HousingNowTO here:

1680271872028.png

I'm not sure I can recall another instance where tangible improvements to adjacent bike infrastructure were so closely linked to an application. Long overdue, obviously, but great to see nonetheless.

Since you're enjoying that (as I knew you would); go read this post:

Republic don't own this. It would be years at the earliest.
Where normally I would agree I think the land flip business is over and while silver hotel might be ok with sitting on it Republic has staffed up and likely needs to get into sales to trigger the bulk of development fees/ any carried share in the project. Curious who they use for sales/construction.

I would expect their DM fee to cover everything required to get the project to sales (rezoning, SPA, NOAC, etc.). They don't have sales & marketing or construction teams so they won't get any fees out of those stages of the project.

Back