Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

When I walked past the site last Saturday, I asked one of the workers when they are expecting to top out, he said with two cranes, they think they can top out by the end of summer...seems kind of optimistic to me, there's always delays, but it would be awesome if they could actually achieve that goal. He had zero idea about phase 3, anyone know when they're starting that?

March 07
Came upon the site as the crane was lifting the 2nd section for the jacking the tower crane up, but they were having issues trying to jack the crane up. 2 tries were try and fail. After standing around almost 30 minutes I took a chance to photograph the site and hope the jacking hadn't taken place getting back to the spot I was going to shoot from. As I hit Yonge they were jacking the crane up and only got a short video of one section being moved into position. Between hand cold and shoulder issues, couldn't record the final position of the 2 section.

You can see the brace on the tower to hold the crane to it.

The 2 shacks are for the steel erector as office and storage area and will move up the tower as it climbs.

Small section of decking to be place for the 2nd lift floor and putting up the steel for the 3rd lift.

Form work in place for the lobby area and the floor should be finish by the end of the months. Once done, steel will go up for that area.
13042345625_fb2a33fd89_b.jpg

13042356865_bd4343626c_b.jpg

13042485683_28919d1fd1_b.jpg

13042397095_9e6a522053_b.jpg

13042512943_d75c6aa197_b.jpg

13042508893_04a756cd39_b.jpg

13042721394_080cc47978_b.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ZjYy17VY4ZY]http://youtu.be/ZjYy17VY4ZY[/video]

I think this is a terrific move (no pun intended). It gives Yonge street some heritage "continuity", since it will sit across the street from the recently-scrubbed Dineen building, and next to the other heritage building on Temperance. Who cares if the building isn't in its original spot, and that the formerly south-facing wall along Adelaide has been inverted to face north along Temperance? What matters is that the building has been saved and brought back to life, and positioned to complement its similarly-aged neighbours that share the same scale and materials.

I do wish that they use actual bricks instead of ersatz cast concrete - this is an instance where heritage "values" would end up enabling an inferior product.

I wager that warmer weather will get workers moving a bit faster. Handling tools and material with multiple layers of clothing in -20 deg. weather is not akin to smooth construction timetables.
That's just my take, but from my dad's 36 years in structural steel, i'd say he has some background knowledge.

Back