Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

Unless something has changed recently, I think the Shard is empty. Only a spectacularly rich individual owner, which it is lucky to have and needed in order to be completed, could sit on an unperforming, or at best, underperforming, asset.

+1

The Shard is striking but an absolute bust. BA towers are infill and BA East will barely be able to be seen in the skyline, it's only where there are obstacles around site or planning that novel and interesting designs come out. That or when it is a showcase.

I didn't think it was all that striking when I saw it in June of 2012, although it wasn't quite finished then. It's no Gherkin.

guys what kind of technique or construction is this that they first build a block of cement in the middlde and build other stuff around it? Bay Adelaide west was built in same way.

Most, if not all steel construction usually starts with a cement core as the steel floors rise around it. WTC 1 in NYC, Shanghai Tower and The Shard in London are some famous examples. Simply it is a steel floorplate construction. The reason we see concrete on most projects in Toronto is for residential purposes cement has much better insulation qualities. If you take a look at the Shard in London they actually switch from steel to concrete then back to steel during the residential portion of the tower.

Most, if not all steel construction usually starts with a cement core as the steel floors rise around it. WTC 1 in NYC, Shanghai Tower and The Shard in London are some famous examples. Simply it is a steel floorplate construction. The reason we see concrete on most projects in Toronto is for residential purposes cement has much better insulation qualities. If you take a look at the Shard in London they actually switch from steel to concrete then back to steel during the residential portion of the tower.

You still get insulation qualities with steel floors as you still got concrete on top of the steel pans/decking sitting on top the steel framing.

You need about 10 floors of the centre core to be pour first for steel towers, as it takes no time doing 3 tiers of floor erection, depending on the floors design. The columns are made to handle 2/3 floors before the next set is added to the ones in place. The size of the columns start to change size as they go up as the load factor is less than the bottom one even with the increase of floor space as the core narrows. How fast the steel goes up depends on the weather and the size of the crew doing the erection.

I have shots and videos of the BA first tower up on site, but not sure how I tag them back then. Then not all of the shot may not be on the site. You can look back through that thread for the photos and videos I took back then, but less than I do these days.

One tower I saw in 2012 had over 20 floors of the core in place and didn't see any steel from the various spots I saw it. Never got the chance to see that tower up close. The Shard was at the rail station, but was being enclosed when I saw it and it was steel. Impress with it and an example what of what Toronto not willing to build since it not square.

Reinforced concrete construction is cheaper which is why residential highrises go this route. It has tremendous compressive strength which is why the core is usually slip-formed reinforced concrete as it supports the majority of the tower from toppling. Concrete is heavy and lacks tensile strength which is why steel is often used to span column free areas. Mechanical penthouse on the same condo towers often used steel for the needed longer spans between columns.

"Unless something has changed recently, I think the Shard is empty. Only a spectacularly rich individual owner, which it is lucky to have and needed in order to be completed, could sit on an unperforming, or at best, underperforming, asset."

I'm not confirming or denying this comment but it's probably irrelevant here. It seems most forumers are only interested in if a building looks cool. Making money, space that is actually useful, the needs of the client, the sustainability of the design, operational performance and issues, contextual issues, these are all trivial.

"Unless something has changed recently, I think the Shard is empty. Only a spectacularly rich individual owner, which it is lucky to have and needed in order to be completed, could sit on an unperforming, or at best, underperforming, asset."

I'm not confirming or denying this comment but it's probably irrelevant here. It seems most forumers are only interested in if a building looks cool. Making money, space that is actually useful, the needs of the client, the sustainability of the design, operational performance and issues, contextual issues, these are all trivial.

One office tower going up in Frankfurt in 2012 that was over 30's, was using precast beams, columns and floor decking. Beams had opening in them for ducting and other items for that larger clear span like steel.

Residential towers have smaller floor span and are supported by interior walls and columns.

Frankfurt am Main Germany (TaunusTurm {Built 2013/14} [40 floors])
8351095677_c22c6f4be1_b.jpg

8352156262_ebfbcd7c0b_b.jpg

Anyone in the know about the use of the plastic wrapping above the main frames for pouring cement? Why not just keep using the existing frames and move them up?

It seems most forumers are only interested in if a building looks cool. Making money, space that is actually useful, the needs of the client, the sustainability of the design, operational performance and issues, contextual issues, these are all trivial.

Not true. Many members are interested in more than a pretty picture. Especially the many members involved in the business one way or another.

They have raised the webcam

Steel is climbing on the west side and you can see the fourth level floor beams laid out. They have also sheltered off the first floor with a tarp, which I am guessing will speed up work on the inside.

4KlKkyv.jpg

I don't know if someone has posted a similar comment here but I personally love the look of steel buildings when they go up. It almost makes me sad when they put up the cladding. I don't recall ever seeing a steel building under construction that I liked the look of when it was complete more as compared to the building during the construction process.

Back