Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

baeastm9.jpg

^Reading through some of the construction updates, I saw that the southern heritage building will be disassembled and moved to the north (odd). Will anything take its place?

Only the facade of the heritage building will be moved. The building itself will be demolished and a glass podium of slightly larger scale will takes its place, thereby allowing the tower a Yonge Street address:

bace1.png

From Brookfield's website

And the heritage building is not being disassembled, but only its facade is, and plastered over the building at 132 Yonge. The (heritage) building itself will be demolished.

Come one and lets get real.

There is no historical building or facade being relocated, as it means noting if it is not where it was in the first place. It will be a false facade period.

Very few people will understand what the original facade is, once reinstall to suite a glass wall.

We continue to destroy historical building for the name of the "Greed $$$"

Well, that's not going to help Yonge Street much. Yonge Street needs better retail and some entertainment would be nice.

There is no historical building or facade being relocated, as it means noting if it is not where it was in the first place. It will be a false facade period.

My beef is with the fact they are putting this brick facade on the only remaining built part of the original Bay Adelaide from the late 80's. How is this brick facade more important than what is already there? And if it is more important then they should have left it just where it was.

My beef is with the fact they are putting this brick facade on the only remaining built part of the original Bay Adelaide from the late 80's. How is this brick facade more important than what is already there? And if it is more important then they should have left it just where it was.

Perhaps that's because we're in a kind of anti-PoMo reactionary period in Toronto's architectural history. The '80s facade is likely seen as valueless because it's from the PoMo era, which is currently unpopular.

Perhaps that's because we're in a kind of anti-PoMo reactionary period in Toronto's architectural history. The '80s facade is likely seen as valueless because it's from the PoMo era, which is currently unpopular.

I believe for many, the Trough of No Value currently contains everything built from 1950 to, oh, 2002.

Well, that's not going to help Yonge Street much. Yonge Street needs better retail and some entertainment would be nice.

meh, generally I jump all aboard the lack of retail bandwagon but honestly Yonge is one of those streets where I'm OK if there wasn't any retail. The glass will offer a nice mixture as most of the buildings on Yonge in this area are brick / precast.

That podium extension to Yonge looks great! I wasn't expecting that, so this is a very welcome surprise for me :) Lack of retail is not an issue for me either, as the area caters to office workers, not shoppers. Also, there's always PATH.

Back