Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

I'm not clear on what this actually means for the disposition of the silos -- will they be rehabilitated or demolished?

From today's Globe: (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...anada-malting-site/article1708370/?cmpid=rss1)
The City of Toronto wants to attract a private developer to the five acre site on its western waterfront, where two Canada Malting buildings are being demolished.

“What we're looking to do... is work with a private developer, through a Request for Proposal process, to come up with a proposal that works for the community and the city,” said Bruce Bowes, the city's chief corporate officer.

Demolition of the germination and kiln buildings, a $1.85-million project, started last week and should take a total of six weeks to complete.

The Canada Malting silos will be left and restored. The area needs to be rezoned and the city will begin the process of attracting mixed development to the area in 2011.

Mr. Bowes mentioned the possibility of both office and residential space but said no decisions have been made yet.

The city's total budget for redevelopment of the complex is $12.2-million, he said.

Phew! When I read that Canada Malting buildings were being demolished, I thought they were the silos. I'm glad to see the city decided to restore the silos. The attached buildings can definitely go.

Btw, would Metronome be allowed to bid? They continue on, despite beating that already dead horse... to death.

It's a moot point now but along with Ontario Place this could have been an excellent candidate for a real Aquarium. This end of Queens Quay needs something to draw people down to it.

Last edited:
Demolition of the western buildings.

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

From Waterfront Toronto's September Newsletter:

The City of Toronto has started a first phase of improvements to the Canada Malting Silos site which includes securing safe waterfront access to Ireland Park and repairs to the dockwall adjacent to the silos. As part of this work, the city is undertaking the demolition of the germination and kiln buildings on the western part of the site and will begin construction on the east dockwall in November.

While this work is underway, Waterfront Toronto will make improvements to the water’s edge in this area and build a first phase of water’s edge promenade next to the silos site. The water’s edge promenade, part of the overall vision for the waterfront, will feature a granite walkway with a maple mosaic pattern. It will include a double row of native maple trees which provide shade in the summer and protection from winter winds. The promenade will also offer a safe and convenient way to access Ireland Park from Queens Quay.

The City will be holding an information session (the flyer says "find out more and speak to City staff about the east dock wall construction and how it will contribute to Toronto's waterfront revitalization) on Tuesday, Nov. 2 from 6:30 pom to 8 pm at the Harbourfront Community Centre gym, 627 Queen's Quay W.

Back