Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Seems taller from a distance.

15/03/13
IMG_1720.jpg

Great views of the city from this level, even of the lake and clear across to the other side. This setback is much larger than I envisioned, viewed from several blocks away.

Anybody know what's happening with those setbacks? Will they be amenity space or exclusive use patio space?

According to the plans, those lucky bastards will have private terraces if they purchase those units.

The "T" in the unit numbers indicates terrace:

jVjTBB0.jpg

Aura 46th floor unit 3.jpg

Attachments

• Aura 46th floor unit 3.jpg
    Aura 46th floor unit 3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Yeah, I am not so sure. Between the spiders that will move in and the incredible wind I suspect you will never see anyone sitting out there. This is especially the case here since it will be very public with everyone above having a great view of everything going on. There is a reason that even in buildings with generous balconies you rarely see people on them.

Yeah, I am not so sure. Between the spiders that will move in and the incredible wind I suspect you will never see anyone sitting out there. This is especially the case here since it will be very public with everyone above having a great view of everything going on. There is a reason that even in buildings with generous balconies you rarely see people on them.

Some people, presumably the three out of many hundreds that purchased these units, are not afraid of spiders or prying eyes.

I used to live on the 31st floor at 10 Yonge St., right by the lake. I practically lived on the balcony in summer. Fooey on spying eyes and spiders.

I can't find the exact plans right now, but ten floors higher more units on the East side get terraces too!

I'm with Ramako on this one. If you purchased any of those units, you did it expressly because you are the type to actually utilize the outdoor space.

Also am not familiar with the spider reference and how it pertains to these spaces as opposed to any other balcony downtown. I lived in a few high-rises downtown and don't recall ever seeing a spider on my balcony. In fact, anything above the 10th floor precludes the likelihood of many pests, especially the flying kind like mosquitoes (if it's a bad year for them).

Personally, I was out on my balcony absorbing the view as much as I was at home and would put one of these terraces to very good use. The fear of the tenants above viewing my activities would be paranoia. Due to the window-wall, unless they were on the floor directly above (And plastered right against the glass) their view would be very limited, if at all.

However, lower down in Aura on the 5th and 12th floors, the terraces there would be viewed by everyone in the Delta Chelsea and surrounding buildings. One real estate site speaks of them this way:

It’s got massive terraces

One of condo life’s disadvantages is the lack of personal outdoor space. To solve that problem, some of the Aura’s 5th and 12th floor suites have terraces large enough to hold a hot tub, patio furniture, and enough space left over to play fetch with the dog. Ranging from 600 to 1,000 square feet, these private terraces are larger than some people’s apartments.

Agreed. Like him, I actually don't mind Aura as much as others do, but sheer intolerance of other people's opinions just doesn't work on a forum which is geared toward promoting architectural discussion. If all he wants to do is look at the pretty pictures, there's no need for him to engage anyone in discussion.

Indeed, a certainly level of civility and decorum must always be maintained on a public forum such as UT.
Besides, all he had to do was add people like urbandreamer & thedeepend to his ignore list and presto!!! Problem solved.

:)

I live on my balcony too with a book or iPad, sometimes a friend or two and my dog. I get spiders (24th floor) and those gnats too, big deal. I'd love an outdoor space like this, I wouldn't care who could see down though I do have a bit of a phobia over jumpers so if there were balconies above that would be the deal breaker on a suite with a terrace space like this.

Jumpers are the least of your worries for a terrace in a building with balconies above. The real enemy is the crap that all the tenants above sweep off their balconies: Dead leaves from their potted plants; bird crap, dust, dog poop and so on. I lived in such a building and would watch from above when people would sweep their balconies and all the crap landing on the poor tenant with the terrace below.

It is actually illegal in Toronto to sweep stuff off your balcony, you must use a dustpan and dispose of the detritus inside, but practically no one does this. They just push all the crap down the space between the slab and the railing. (Admit it... You know you do it too).

However, with the terraces on the 46th and 56th floors, there is no one above with balconies, so the the living is easy!

I agree on the issue with debris falling. I've had all sorts of cigarette butts (some lit), cigars, hash pipes, potted plants (including the pot), wind chimes, carpets and other items fall onto my balcony. The danger with teh terrace will be that light furniture may in fact come off higher balconies depending on his it is stored. Aura will be no different in that regard.

Back