Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

From today:

JyxmIEE.jpg

Hey Dev, Yeah I think thats normal. I'm in the Absolute Towers and i've heard from neighbours that thats how it was when they first moved in. Actually, large sections of the walls in the lobby were just finished a couple months ago! (And don't get me started on the elevators! lol)

It's actually not such a bad idea to have residents move in even before interior finishes are completed. Often times interiors get dinged up and scratched when everyone moves in (especially the elevators) with all their furniture anyway. I know the MET condos allowed residents to move in with almost zero interior work done. The hallways for the residential floors and elevators were essentially sheets of wood on bare concrete floors.

I know the MET condos allowed residents to move in with almost zero interior work done. The hallways for the residential floors and elevators were essentially sheets of wood on bare concrete floors.

Yeah, but that did NOT go over well at all.

It's not unusual for the common areas to be incomplete when residents first move in during occupancy period.

I agree that it is unappealing to residents moving in but it does reduce the risk of damage to the common areas when the movers are bring your stuff in. You'll notice after the common areas are complete and you have your first delivery, that you'll have to go through a full inspection of the hallways and elevators before and after the delivery (to inspect for damages).

Toronto has great architecture, but it's terrible for our tallest skyscrapers to be this mundane and uninspiring. Though Aura has a unique shape, it's architecture is mediocre because of the uneven balconies, banal cladding and boring finishes. These tall towers are the buildings that grab people's attention through their size at prominent locations. We really need the Foster and Gehry towers--and they have to built to impress and not be watered down in design cheapening. Fortunately, One Bloor that's rising now might be impressive with quality cladding and execution of its organic waves.

The white blinds effect has turned the dog's breakfast that is the bottom portion into a mess of regurgitated kibbles n bits. The curtain wall portion up top is looking better every day though.

once more people move in the blinds will cover a larger percentage of the building, but yes, still look like crap. this is true for almost every condo though.

It's actually not such a bad idea to have residents move in even before interior finishes are completed. Often times interiors get dinged up and scratched when everyone moves in (especially the elevators) with all their furniture anyway. I know the MET condos allowed residents to move in with almost zero interior work done. The hallways for the residential floors and elevators were essentially sheets of wood on bare concrete floors.

Agreed. Hopefully their mailboxes have been installed. Residents at Absolute had to drop by the Post Office to pick up their mail for several months. Not the end of the world, but definitely inconvenient.

Agreed. Hopefully their mailboxes have been installed. Residents at Absolute had to drop by the Post Office to pick up their mail for several months. Not the end of the world, but definitely inconvenient.

I went through that with two of my places, one of them was like two months even though the mailboxes were installed after about a month. I understand it's not uncommon.

As this thing gets taller I find I don't mind it like some of you guys. I certainly don't think it "sucks". From most angles it is a comely building. But man oh man did they ever blow a big opportunity: those uneven floor heights should be treated in an uneven way, rather than a uniform way. The balcony fronts should be sporting various colours, horizontally and vertically up the building. That would have been a statement. I don't mean loud colours, I mean darker shades of burgundy, yellow, blue, perhaps rose. The architect just sort of missed out there.

I went through that with two of my places, one of them was like two months even though the mailboxes were installed after about a month. I understand it's not uncommon.

I believe the delay is due to Canada Post - they have to inspect and accept the mailboxes before they will start to use them. Presumably due to Canada Post being responsible for the delivery process up to the point where the mail is retrieved by its recipient.

It's not unusual for the common areas to be incomplete when residents first move in during occupancy period.

I have experienced this several times, it is very common. When I moved into the Liberties in 1988, it took months before the fitness area was ready. As a matter of fact, I remember looking out the window and seeing the passage leading from Gerrard to the park and fountain being paved... Same thing in a new condo on Charles, it was bare concrete, and here at ROCP I, where I live now.

I believe the delay is due to Canada Post - they have to inspect and accept the mailboxes before they will start to use them. Presumably due to Canada Post being responsible for the delivery process up to the point where the mail is retrieved by its recipient.

I recall having contacted Canada Post before about the commencement of mail delivery in a new building. I was informed by one of the staff that Canada Post must ensure that the building is safe enough for their employees to enter and distribute the mail, prior to any mail service beginning. To which I said, "Umm... there's already a tonne of people living in the building...". No response followed.

As this thing gets taller I find I don't mind it like some of you guys. I certainly don't think it "sucks". From most angles it is a comely building. But man oh man did they ever blow a big opportunity: those uneven floor heights should be treated in an uneven way, rather than a uniform way. The balcony fronts should be sporting various colours, horizontally and vertically up the building. That would have been a statement. I don't mean loud colours, I mean darker shades of burgundy, yellow, blue, perhaps rose. The architect just sort of missed out there.

That would be horrendously ugly. ONe of the main knocks against Aura is its lack of uniformity in appearance. Adding even more colours would make it look like visual vomit running down the side of the building.

Back