Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Just now from the Aura Webcam:

fOHnQ.jpg

One thing I don't like about the Yonge/Dundas adds is that they keep changing them. Remember the Labatt's Blue 3D can ad? The mounting is still there but the can is gone. Why didn't they keep it, or at least why couldn't another company like Coke put up a can ad in it's place? Another thing is the circular ad at the top of the tower. There was an animated LG neon sign there and it was replaced with a boring static ad.

One thing I don't like about the Yonge/Dundas adds is that they keep changing them. Remember the Labatt's Blue 3D can ad? The mounting is still there but the can is gone. Why didn't they keep it, or at least why couldn't another company like Coke put up a can ad in it's place? Another thing is the circular ad at the top of the tower. There was an animated LG neon sign there and it was replaced with a boring static ad.

Even crappy ads at the busiest intersection in Toronto are subject to The Cheapening™

When I lived in Halifax, the Public Gardens were gated, typically around dusk. You also weren't allowed to jog, bike, make contact with any of the foliage (including the grass), bring pets or feed any of the animals. Basically the only thing one is allowed to do there is stand, walk, sit, talk, read and/or stare. Good times.

Not everybody wants a frisbee whizzing by their head. Some parks are places to be quiet, relax and enjoy the views. In France you often can't even walk on the grass.

Oxford colleges are not comparable with public parks. Firstly, they are private property. More importantly, they are the homes and workspaces of the students, staff and fellows who live there. They are live/work communities and not leisure facilities. All members of a college have gate keys to their own college just as you have a key to your own home - however, I am sure that you don't leave your home open to random strangers 24/7 (or any time for that matter!), and neither do colleges except where they feel obligated to let the tourists in to gawk at the buildings for a few hours a day.

The comparison I was making was a general one, though, between the terribly anal British way of doing things and our more open approach. Just as the comparison of parks was between their locked parks and our open parks and ravines, so was the comparison between their locked university campuses to our open campuses. Stroll through the U of T grounds, for instance, and you'll see how the comparison I was making to Oxford applies.

P.S. I think that the London parks that are locked at night are largely Royal Parks, and therefore the property of the Crown or owned by the householders which surround them, and not public property either. Not 100% sure on that... I would say that most parks in England as a whole are public and are not locked at night.

The vast majority of parks here are locked at night. I don't know about Hyde and Regent's Park, as admittedly other than the Jubilee I haven't tried to get into them at night. I'll check it out tonight. Green Park is definitely locked at night though.

Pretty much all of the smaller parks and "squares" (not Trafalgar Square but Soho and Grosvenor Square) are gated and locked at night. I imagine they'd be a popular place for junkies to shoot up.

When I lived in Halifax, the Public Gardens were gated, typically around dusk. You also weren't allowed to jog, bike, make contact with any of the foliage (including the grass), bring pets or feed any of the animals. Basically the only thing one is allowed to do there is stand, walk, sit, talk, read and/or stare. Good times.

The Halifax Public gardens is a beautiful park, and I am proud my (Toronto) tax dollars paid for it.

:)

Not everybody wants a frisbee whizzing by their head. Some parks are places to be quiet, relax and enjoy the views. In France you often can't even walk on the grass.

reminded me of the lyrics to Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" which are actually in reference to this exact thing...

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path

Thanks again for the Aura shots, Caltrane... As an out-of-towner they are really appreciated... It sure has risen in the few months since I've been downtown... I know some have reservations, but I think it's going to be a beautiful "big city" 'scraper...

I was on the other side of the street, but it looked like the new sidewalk has been opened and they're starting to get ready to put the road back together along Yonge

Here is a closer look at the curtainwall glass.

7456837890_3ed346f55f.jpg

Thanks again for the Aura shots, Caltrane... As an out-of-towner they are really appreciated... It sure has risen in the few months since I've been downtown... I know some have reservations, but I think it's going to be a beautiful "big city" 'scraper...

no problems man!!

Last edited:

Back