Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I dunno. Considering that this was proposed in 1971 (the height of the "International Box" era), this would have been revolutionary for the time, both in height and in design. Remember that this was years before the CN Tower, or even the Sears (Willis) Tower in Chicago, was built.

Yonge Street seedy as all hell

photo-88.jpg

Someone proposed a ridiculously over-sized sized tower and never built it? Hell... I proposed a 200 floor office/hotel/residence/community centre/library/indoor amusement park for that empty lot on wellesley between bay and yonge... But sorry, I can't build it because it's deemed physically impossible.

And on a serious note, this podium looks way too big. And is there another floor on top of this no? I hope the sidewalk is at least significantly wide once the hoarding comes down.

It does look rather imposing right now, with all the framework still between the floors. There is one more floor to this part of podium but it is set back from the edge with a large terrace. I feel once the form-work is gone, the glazing is in place and the levels animated with light and life, it won't feel as oppressive.

EWWWW ^^^^
that thing is bloody disgusting... the facade looks similar to Trump Chicago, and the idea of an empty plaza is a waste of space.... Looks like they were trying to pull a CN tower/Chicago spire-esque sorta concept as a landmark thing.... that skypod at the top is ridiculous! (hopefully that isn't the penthouse)

I actually wouldn't have minded something like that being built- it reminds me of a less elegant Lake Point Tower. If the skypod-esque observation deck on the top was refined, this tower might have been quite nice (excluding the monumental plaza at the base).

The Southwest portion of the foundations of Eaton's College Park were (ostensibly) designed to hold a massive 30 story tower above them (Well, to 1929 standards anyway) the rest of the building was never going to be taller than it is.

You're right, though the base building was going to be raised to the same height as the Yonge/College corner for the full site.

I think khristopher is making a funny. Unless he's talking about the app. for 3 additional floors.

Back