Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Androiduk, your photos are always lovely. Over time they will make for a good record of projects going up from interesting viewpoints. Thanks for the post!

I can't tell if it's an optical illusion because of the skewed plane, but I could have sworn that the HSS on the NE corner looked like it was leaning out toward the street when I walked by today. I tried lining it up by eye with nearby buildings and it seems like it actually is, but it's so subtle I'm still not sure.

It does look plumb in that photo, but it's hard to judge because the Yonge facade of College Park is so articulated.

aurajly5.jpg

Seeing this photo really makes me wish that someone would finish College Park with a beautiful early 20th century style skyscraper. Something like a Woolworth Building, an American International Building, or a 40 Wall Street. I'd love to see one of those babies go up, especially in a place where it will actually have an impact on the skyline.

Something like a Woolworth Building, an American International Building, or a 40 Wall Street. I'd love to see one of those babies go up, especially in a place where it will actually have an impact on the skyline.

They just don't make 'em like they use to.

They just don't make 'em like they use to.

Very true. Even if it it was built using modern construction techniques, having a building in the Art Deco style with limestone siding would be amazing.

Who actually owns the College Park building? And would they ever be willing/able to do something like that?

Given the biases by all but the INTBAU paleos, I suspect any "completion" will be more along these lines, for better or worse...

The Southwest portion of the foundations of Eaton's College Park were (ostensibly) designed to hold a massive 30 story tower above them (Well, to 1929 standards anyway) the rest of the building was never going to be taller than it is. So to build a 60 floor Art Deco inspired limestone-clad tower above it, would require retro-fitting of the foundations and support columns for the existing seven floors, of an enormous magnitude.

It would be like what they are doing at Maple Leaf Gardens and Union Station combined.

But it would be neato-super-cool if they did!

:D

Given the biases by all but the INTBAU paleos, I suspect any "completion" will be more along these lines, for better or worse...

God I hope not...

The Southwest portion of the foundations of Eaton's College Park were (ostensibly) designed to hold a massive 30 story tower above them (Well, to 1929 standards anyway) the rest of the building was never going to be taller than it is. So to build a 60 floor Art Deco inspired limestone-clad tower above it, would require retro-fitting of the foundations and support columns for the existing seven floors, of an enormous magnitude.

It would be like what they are doing at Maple Leaf Gardens and Union Station combined.

But it would be neato-super-cool if they did!

:D

I knew that they planned to build above it, but I didn't know it was only built to handle 30 storeys. I wonder if the retrofit would be justified in terms of costs if they were able to build a 60 storey tower on top of it. Given the situation you described, I doubt it.

Sears was 103 so why not?

140 is a lot more than 103 (nearly 40% higher, of course). But I'm not an engineer, so I don't know if there would have been challenges -- perhaps someone more versed in construction history could address this.

According to the Wikipedia article on the subject...

Eaton's / John Maryon Tower was a proposed supertall 140-storey office skyscraper, to be built in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In 1971, Eaton's was going to team up with a developer named John Maryon to build a 1,650 ft (503 m) tower in the College Park area of Downtown Toronto. With a 600 ft (183 m) communication mast added to the roof of the triangular glass office tower, the total proposed height was 2,250 ft (686 m). Plans for the tower were cancelled, because building a structure of this height was considered impossible at the time of its planning. This skyscraper was planned two years before the Willis Tower was completed, and five years before the CN Tower was completed. Had the tower been built, it would have been the world's tallest building until 2008, when the Burj Khalifa surpassed its planned height.
(From Wikipedia found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaton's_/_John_Maryon_Tower )

(3D model of Maryon Tower by wyliepoon using SketchUp here: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=db03057c80123ee990f61381f93e19a8 )

EWWWW ^^^^
that thing is bloody disgusting... the facade looks similar to Trump Chicago, and the idea of an empty plaza is a waste of space.... Looks like they were trying to pull a CN tower/Chicago spire-esque sorta concept as a landmark thing.... that skypod at the top is ridiculous! (hopefully that isn't the penthouse)

Back