Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Wrong tower, wrong podium, wrong location. This needs to be totally revamped... I'm getting a little tired of the "point tower/dinky useless podium" combination Toronto seems to get so much of. Focus on the street dammit.

I really don't think its that bad. Except the podium could be better. And it should address the corner more.

Either way, if the tower was nice or the podium was actually respective of the area, the tower would never be approved. My feeling is nothing over 500 ft. will be approved, and they obviously will never care to make the podium actually work with its surroundings.

why does have even be over 500 feet? - why couldn't a one city hall/ hudson type building with some sort of 'gateway' to the park on the corner (possibly through the building itself) be just as fitting or spectacular

why couldn't a one city hall/ hudson type building with some sort of 'gateway' to the park on the corner (possibly through the building itself) be just as fitting or spectacular

It would be even more fitting and spectacular... leave the point towers for Bay St.

Just an arbitrary height. My feeling is that Canderal is really only interested in height at this location to get as many residences in as possible. A One City hall may work if the lot size is big enough.

Does anyone know how large the site is?

"My feeling is that Canderal is really only interested in height at this location to get as many residences in as possible."

of course and thats one of reason why we have zoning and planners

As to the aforementioned Chicago

I'd kill to have a half dozen of their hundreds of pre-depression residential highrises here but am not at all interested in any of their recent residential 'scrapers in which the vast majority are overbearing & uninviting at streetlevel

Agree, podium sucks. But I like the top, and I LOVE the idea of the height. I certainly do not have a problem with tall here as phase 1 2 and others all loom around it.

The idea that it will come with great street art and fix up the park is awesome.

If they can fix the above, bring it on.

I'd kill to have a half dozen of their hundreds of pre-depression residential highrises

Which goes to show that thing that Torontonians always forget: it's not how big a city gets; it's when it got big that matters.

...and the PoMo 80s. Still, although we may not have the overall architectural wealth that some other earlier established North American cities may have we do have some individual gems here and there, and some unrivaled Victorian neighbourhoods. Can't have everything!

If I may pitch in, I still can't bluntly declare the podium to be "awful" or a "disgrace" or even not in keeping with the tower--if you want blatantly "not in keeping", go to the Queensway + Windermere. Yes, the podium's frankly retro; but it's not that ill-mannered, for what it is, and I'm intrigued by its interestingly crude counterpoint w/the early 80s MacLean Hunter banality. But look; the tower's retro-frosted, too, maybe not as much, but it is. It's of a piece; and that's no gushing compliment. Let's put it bluntly; the whole thing is what you'd expect from Graziani + Corazza in the big city. It's Motel Strip Modern with Cityplace-ish urban-point-tower pretensions. Let's be thankful it's as innocuous as it is--or let me take that back; looking up from Bay past Old City Hall, one wishes it was even more innocuous. But with immediate neighbours like MacLean Hunter, the Delta Chelsea, the Liberties, etc, etc, its mediocrity almost doesn't matter...

Back