Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Not everyone is as informed as other members on this board, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I didn't mean to sound so negative with my comments, but there is sometimes a bit of a knee jerk taller=better reaction to some proposals on this and other boards. There are many issues to consider which you articulated well in your post and I couldn't agree more with you on those other issues.

There should be a very strong effort on behalf of both the applicant and planning department to ensure a very strong street pressence on Yonge Street. Please let's not do to Yonge what was done to Bay.

^ Right, and that's precisely what the report says. Bay has become a canyon, love it or hate it (I loved it until ROCP destroyed the vista of Old City Hall as seen from Front - ironically, the very example of a vista that's used in the city's design criteria I linked to above), and Yonge is a transitional space between that canyon and the lower-rise areas to the east.

holier0js.jpg

Be sure to reserve your UrbanToronto VISA affinity card today.

No skyscraper geeks allowed. Just really, really smart forumers who (ironically) respond to posts that they believe they've read... and understood.

okay... sorry to offend with the skyscraper geek comment.... take a pill - I like tall buildings too.

I've taken the pill and I have one extra. Please shove it, sorry, place it in your orifice of choice. Geeez. just realized that sometimes it's just not appropriate to use the word sorry. Apparently "sorry means nothing" if used inappropriately (famous Greek philosopher, TAY TUM O KNEEL).

These staffers, like government employees everywhere, are the flunkies that could never make it in the business world and gloat at their sense of power. The rules are vague and arbitrarily enforced on purpose.

As a former government employee, I was wondering if you could provide some evidence to back this statement up?

Considering the prominent location of this building, I am hoping that this project gets done properly. With respect to Bay, the critcisms are, I believe, warranted. There are a number of tall buildings, but the street level atmosphere bears no relation to the urban density surrounding it. Bay, at that location, has the feel of a sidestreet, and not the important city thoroughfare that it should be.

Another bold skyscraper vision bites the dust. Too bad - that area of the core could really use a big boy. Indeed even if this graceful CHI-sized tower is stunted down to 500 feet I have a strong sense that it would be rejected as well.

If a working group is established as Mr. Rae has suggested perhaps some of the other issues not relating the height can be ironed out. If some of the other issues can be resolved then perhaps the tower even at something in the range of the proposed height might have a better change of being approved.

Even if does meet the street well and it was only 30 storeys, staff/council still might not like the cut of its gib and reject it.

re: my Google Sketchup model

Now available at the Google 3D Warehouse. You can download it for view in Sketchup and Google Earth.

Link to model

I don't mind the Bay St. canyon. I do believe the architecture in general could be better, but not every street/thoroughfare in the city has to be lined with commercial. It is a nice counterpoint to Yonge.

I agree - they work best in combination, which would make duplicating it on Yonge counterproductive.

Back