Hamilton Augusta Block Buildings 2 & 3 | ?m | 8s | Core Urban Inc. | Lintack Architects

What a well-mannered group of buildings! The architects have a nifty portfolio - on my visits to downtown Hamilton, I've admired their work, but didn't know it was one firm. They sure have a skilled hand with restoring and integrating fine-grained street architecture.
Does anyone know what the facade material is on the one facing James St.? I hope it's not the dread EIFS. Precast, maybe?

*edit: I just looked back through the photos. It does indeed look like precast. :)
It's among the best sets of developments in Hamilton going on at the moment, and I've always also liked the Core Urban (the developer)'s work. They've done an excellent job at King William and Hughson Street as well IMO.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they get handed a bunch of parking lots to redevelop around downtown, if only to repair the damage done to the streetscape over the last 60 years.

While i like these buildings, it feels like a really missed opportunity to not plan the block and activate the alleyways between the buildings. There could have been really cool in between spaces but they’re just vehicle access. Not sure if it was the developer or the city but it feels shortsighted to me.
I don't think they own the entire site, so the parking lot around the Medical Arts building is still an issue for any viability of an activated alleyway.

It's among the best sets of developments in Hamilton going on at the moment, and I've always also liked the Core Urban (the developer)'s work. They've done an excellent job at King William and Hughson Street as well IMO.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they get handed a bunch of parking lots to redevelop around downtown, if only to repair the damage done to the streetscape over the last 60 years.

I don't think they own the entire site, so the parking lot around the Medical Arts building is still an issue for any viability of an activated alleyway.
They don't own that parking lot, it's owned by the Medical Arts building according to Steve from Core Urban. He did say they've tried to grab it, and will continue to pick up parking lots where they can. I'm excited for their next proposal on James N

42158286-0A74-40E0-8A9E-818172E6C96B.jpeg

the moulding elements are nice nice don't get me wrong, but the wall embellishments, I kinda feel they're sorta "bare bones" - like its not that hard to make those rectangles and it makes something look fancier when it's not really lol.. I'd like to see some actual craftsmanship. Guess I'll wait to see what the final result looks like. I'm just a bit particular.

the moulding elements are nice nice don't get me wrong, but the wall embellishments, I kinda feel they're sorta "bare bones" - like its not that hard to make those rectangles and it makes something look fancier when it's not really lol.. I'd like to see some actual craftsmanship. Guess I'll wait to see what the final result looks like. I'm just a bit particular.
Having just done wall trim rectangles in our bedroom, they're not work then they seem ugh

I miss the days of half paneling - where it was just along the bottom for the first couple of feet. Made a place look fancy.

Last edited:
I miss the days of half paneling - where it was just along the bottom for the first couple of feet. Made a place look fancy.
Wainscoting on the lower portion of the wall is nice. We have both in our house, we have a lower board and batten style wainscotting though it's about half the wall rather than just the bottom ⅓. The bedroom is where we used wall trim style wainscotting, again a modern variation.

We also painted our office in such a way to make it look like it could have a picture rail to call back to the practice of when our home was built in again a more modern way. I found a website that discussed Victorian interior design and it discussed they would split the wall into I believe 18 pieces and design around that. We counted 3 from the ceiling with a white paint and then painted the lower portion terracotta-esque colour from the historical homes section at Benjamin Moore.

The reality is there were 100s of styles popular back then, and so a modern take on that is a lot of fun and honestly much nicer than what we typically see in building lobbies today.

Last edited:
Wainscoting on the lower portion of the wall is nice. We have both in our house, we have a lower board and batten style wainscotting though it's about half the wall rather than just the bottom ⅓. The bedroom is where we used wall trim style wainscotting, again a modern variation.

We also painted our office in such a way to make it look like it could have a picture rail to call back to the practice of when our home was built in again a more modern way. I found a website that discussed Victorian interior design and it discussed they would split the wall into I believe 19 (or 22?) pieces and design around that. We counted 3 from the ceiling with a white paint and then painted the lower portion terracotta-esque colour from the historical homes section at Benjamin Moore.

The reality is there were 100s of styles popular back then, and so a modern take on that is a lot of fun and honestly much nicer than what we typically see in building lobbies today.
Very nice - nice to see a person who appreciates finer details such as myself - huge fan of such things :)

Very nice - nice to see a person who appreciates finer details such as myself - huge fan of such things :)
We've spent so much time renovating and adding character back into the home is a tasteful and modern way. We hate the grey and white flips everyone does. Our living room and dining area is a deep, deep historic blue with a historic off-white wainscoting.

Bringing it back to this development, it's why I'm such a huge fan of Core Urban and Steve's team. It's also why I'm so grateful that Steve has invited me to tour their developments and get insight to how they work and bring history to life.

Reactions: xy3
We've spent so much time renovating and adding character back into the home is a tasteful and modern way. We hate the grey and white flips everyone does. Our living room and dining area is a deep, deep historic blue with a historic off-white wainscoting.

Bringing it back to this development, it's why I'm such a huge fan of Core Urban and Steve's team. It's also why I'm so grateful that Steve has invited me to tour their developments and get insight to how they work and bring history to life.

Next time you talk to them, see if you can convince them to maybe include a bit more "heritage" design elements - imo while they are doing great, some of their designs feel a bit too geometric and "safe" looking - they are pretty much the ONLY heritage guys on the market - I wanna see some awesome stuff! The white one on james was a nice touch - but it was still mainly just geometric shapes.. lets get some elements like on the interior/exterior of the lister block going on!

You can pretty much 3d print anything these days, including stone like elements, or other technology..

Back