News   Jul 24, 2024
 411     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 942     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 606     0 

Toronto-Astral Street Furniture Program

New Garbage Bins on Yonge St.

All black versions of the garbage bins have been installed along Yonge St. presumably to match the new streetlights.
They look better than the grey ones IMO.

It is too bad the city did not make all the furniture black. It looks a lot nicer than the greyish green.

All black versions of the garbage bins have been installed along Yonge St. presumably to match the new streetlights.
They look better than the grey ones IMO.

I noticed this the other day too, I also saw a few along College Street

The Black Garbage Bins were chosen by the BIAs (Dowtown Yonge and Bloor-Yorkville) not sure if any other BIAs have chosen that look.

Yorkville had a black version of the old OMG bins as well.

I'm not sure if there are any other custom colour available for the BIAs but the black is available for any shopping district that wants it.

I think they nailed it with the black bins. The grey ones seem too cold and blah next to the black ones. This colour should be adopted as the default, city wide.

photo1sp.jpg
photo2mm.jpg

I agree. Toronto's insistence on grey street furniture is very unusual--black seems to be much more common in North America.

The black ones are relatively new but I notice that they're holding up much better against dirt and grime versus the grey ones for a comparable time. Just a couple of weeks after the original grey ones were installed, they were pretty gross.

The black garbage cans are a nice improvement, similar to the former large black garbage/recycling bins that were around, possibly in Yorkville if I recall correctly. The one thing I wish the new bins had were ashtrays. A lot of other cities, and even small towns, include ashtrays on their garbage bins. By providing them, some people may actually use them. Heck, maybe private landowners (retailers, restaurants) can provide something for the disposal of butts.

Is scratchitti a new thing? I figured that it was a low grade glass being used hense the mess most bus shelters are in, I don't recall ever seeing this with the old shelters.

Scrattchiti seems to be a relatively new phenomenon, perhaps more pervasive because we're building more and more things out of glass.

It's not easy to scratch glass. You can take an X-Acto knife to a shelter and nothing will happen. You need a diamond or another sharp rock. I suspect diamond tipped drill bits are being used.

Scratchitti has been around for a long time (very popular in NYC in the 80s). I've seen TTC bus windows and shelters scratched up since the mid-90's. The 'tool' used is sand paper, where it would be folded and used to tag the glass.

We worked with Parks and Recreation and Urban Planning," says Raff, referring to the to chief city departments involved in the project, "and the police are the ones who deal with staffing the stands – they all have requirements, including some highly detailed signage requirements."

In the end, Raff says, they came up with a design he describes as "not flashy, Frank Gehry-style design," but one that integrated those signage requirements into the design, "just like the 1950s subways stations of Toronto, where the font on the walls is an integral part of the design of the buildings."

Yeah, it shows that these requirements drove the design alright - to the point where one questions whether there is a design at all. Right now the whole thing looks like someone nailed third-rate TTC designed signage to a plywood shack. We need a competition to come up with THAT?

AoD

Back