News   Jul 30, 2024
 136     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 805     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 541     0 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

Another Don Mills building (not to be forgotten) was the OHA Building, 24 Ferrand Dr. - an award-winning structure when built in 1961.
It was demolished in 1994 and the foundation was used to facilitate a new 'Mormon Church' (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints-built 1996).

ohabuilding24FerrandDr_zpsef26c7e6.jpg

OHABuilding1961_zps19c1aee0.jpg

OHAdemolition1994_zps509a06a8.jpg

ChurchofJesusChristofLatter-daySaints-built1996_zps3f04b866.jpg

Thanks Goldie! I appreciate your photos of the now identified, curling rink.

The OHA deconstruction was certainly one of the stranger conversions in recent memory. "Dramatic Building Conversions" would make a good thread!

Another Don Mills building (not to be forgotten) was the OHA Building, 24 Ferrand Dr. - an award-winning structure when built in 1961.
It was demolished in 1994 and the foundation was used to facilitate a new 'Mormon Church' (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints-built 1996).

a real loss that one...
that church has always been such a red herring in that location.

The domed building was originally built as a curling rink.
Later became a Bingo hall and was finally demolished in 1986 to be replaced by an office building.

DMcurling2_zpsc131439c.jpg

great find!

i wasn't aware of this. it looks to be one of the more interesting 'space age' buildings from the era. i bet it was stellar inside...

great find!

i wasn't aware of this. it looks to be one of the more interesting 'space age' buildings from the era. i bet it was stellar inside...

There are a few photos of the curling rink under construction at the U of Calgary Canadian Architectural Archives Site- Panda Associates.
http://wcm.ucalgary.ca/lcr_caa/panda

getimage.jpg

It was replaced by that plaza/office building that has also just been demolished
http://torontoist.com/2011/04/the_sign_lives_on_at_consumers_distributing/

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,127

The things you learn on UT.

I remember when that building was demolished, but I forgot what it looked like and didn't realize they kept the foundation.

Thanks for the link! What an impressive and unusual building. Demolished without much thought I imagine. Too bad.
There are a few photos of the curling rink under construction at the U of Calgary Canadian Architectural Archives Site- Panda Associates.
http://wcm.ucalgary.ca/lcr_caa/panda

View attachment 17137

It was replaced by that plaza/office building that has also just been demolished
http://torontoist.com/2011/04/the_sign_lives_on_at_consumers_distributing/

The things you learn on UT.

I remember when that building was demolished, but I forgot what it looked like and didn't realize they kept the foundation.

Actually, I'm not sure if they kept the foundation for the LDS as finally built--but IIRC the OHA was originally "stripped" for some postmodern conversion that was nipped in the bud by the late 80s recession, so its skeleton (w/some rooftop appendages) remained until 1994 as pictured...

IIRC,
It was an arena / community centre. In later years they had Bingo nights there, won 20 bucks one time!
It was a curling rink I think I read. EDIT: did not read down before posted this!

Since we are on Don Mills...or in it :) Anyone find a photo of Dominion Envelope Company on Green Belt? I have taken a quick look but cannot. Even Parker Pens (next door to the east) would be good. I live in their old space :)

Last edited:
The Don Mills domed rink belonged to the same family of 1950's shell-construction buildings, as St. Hilda's Church at Eglinton and Dufferin, designed by Phillip Carter Johnson in 1954, demolished I believe in the late 1980's:

eglintondufferin3.jpg
eglintondufferin1954c.jpg

eglintondufferin1954a.jpg
eglintondufferin1954b.jpg

Which in itself could be traced back to Oscar Niemayer's 1943 St. Francis of Assisi Church in Pampulha, Brazil:

niemeyer0011.jpg

Attachments

• eglintondufferin3.jpg
    eglintondufferin3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,038
  • eglintondufferin1954c.jpg
    eglintondufferin1954c.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 779
  • eglintondufferin1954a.jpg
    eglintondufferin1954a.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 789
  • eglintondufferin1954b.jpg
    eglintondufferin1954b.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 845
  • niemeyer0011.jpg
    niemeyer0011.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,273
Last edited:
The Don Mills domed rink belonged to the same family of 1950's shell-construction buildings, as St. Hilda's Church at Eglinton and Dufferin, designed by Phillip Carter Johnson in 1954, demolished I believe in the late 1980's:

Quite a loss that. One of my favourites, and the building that my father used to explain what a parabola was to a much younger me.

What's really curious about St. Hilda's was how the Anglican diocese never saw the demographic changes coming to the parish. Within 2-3 years the area became very Italian and very Catholic, evidenced by the construction of St. John Bosco on Rogers in the early 60's (complementing St. Clare's on St. Clair, and St. Thomas Aquinas on Eglinton). So in light of this, the window for the construction of St. Hilda's was small, and that such a gem was built was a bit fortuitous.

St. Hilda's was demolished in 1995. (I remember, because I noticed its demolition as I was noticing the nearby Mike Colle election office when he was first elected to Queen's Park.)

I found this photo in my files - interior of the Don Mills Bingo Hall:

Don Mills Bingo Hall interior.jpg

Attachments

• Don Mills Bingo Hall interior.jpg
    Don Mills Bingo Hall interior.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,236

Back