News   May 03, 2024
 992     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 603     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 289     0 

Toronto Architecture from the 1940's and 1950's

Could the S stand for Savette which I remember from Town and Country Mall (now Centrepoint)?

I think their 'S' was different
3769113132_58b1fc96c8_o.jpg

darn Adma! this is the kind of thing that drives history buffs round the bend...
its not Safeway, its not Stedmans, its not Steinberg's, ummmmmmm......
anyway, whoever they were--they are almost certainly out of business, their logo lost in 'the mists of time'

Maybe it came from the Exhibition but my feeling is that it comes from an upscale store. If I had grown up in Toronto rather than Montreal, maybe I would recognize it.

It's also possible the bags came with free samples/deals from the Food Building, or brochures from the Better Living Building. There appears to be a second 'S' bag just in front of the stroller.

And it wasn't from Stafford's within the Food Building:

staffords_laurasecord_57070d4dc1.jpg

Attachments

• staffords_laurasecord_57070d4dc1.jpg
    staffords_laurasecord_57070d4dc1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 989
Can't imagine taking a picnic to the CNE, especially when knowing that one would be enticed by the heavenly aroma of fried onions to be topped off with a Belgian waffle.

Just came back from a weekend in Stratford and discovered this little mid-century gem, the LCBO downtown. Not sure if it belongs in this thread or thedeepend's 60's and 70's. Also have been unable to discover the architect, but it certainly is reminiscent of Dickinson at the CNE, late 50's:

Last edited:
Just came back from a weekend in Stratford and discovered this little mid-century gem, the LCBO downtown. Not sure if it belongs in this thread or thedeepend's 60's and 70's. Also have been unable to discover the architect, but it certainly is reminiscent of Dickinson at the CNE, late 50's:

spectacular! actually its pretty reminiscent of the now closed LCBO on Rogers Road at Old Weston Road. its been completely destroyed and is due to be torn down i think, but there are definite similarities. the Stratford one is far better though, and in such amazing condition! LCBO's increasing use of EIFS in Toronto has really ruined their outlets--some of which used to be quite nice...

The details are impressive. But it could be demolished one day without a single person noticing.

Too true, but it lies within the boundaries of Stratford's Heritage Conservation District, so it does have a certain level of protection. Now, if someone could just tell me the architect! wwwebster?

The building is at the corner of St. Patrick and Wellington:

Attachments

• 117104068.jpg
    117104068.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

Back