Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

Tridel's not confirmed yet, by the way, but I'm not sure what other conclusion to draw.

I think that you are correct that Tridel is involved here, 42. Last April 2012, Sam Crignano, President of Cityzen, said in his "Sam Talks" that "We're thrilled that Tridel and Hines' first phase will stretch out to Parliament, reaching our 3C Lakeshore development which is immediately south of the Distillery District."

Developers :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. That's enough to change the thread title!

I find tridel is improving.. Hullmark centre is turing out amazingly, and Ten York is certainly not ugly, with curtain wall.

^^ I hate when they do that bait & switch. They lure us in with a rendering that has some really cool features but then the final rendering comes out, and suddenly, all the great features you loved, disappears. What's the point of getting our expectations up, then disappointing us? I don't see how that is beneficial to anyone. It just makes people mad, yet developers/governments continue to do it. What's up with that?

The Winter Garden component is still there - per the Sept 12 WT DRP minutes:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/wdrp_minutes_september_2012_final_1.pdf (p. 5-8)

AoD

Where? It went from this wonderful, warm design befitting of our waterfront:

bayside_sherbourne_common_summer_1.jpg

To this absolute architectural abortion:

Bayside_S2.jpg

The last thing our poor waterfront needs is more grey along its shores. Toronto is grey enough and depressing for more than half the year, this just compounds everything.

It's pretty simple actually. The building in the first image was generated as part of the wider precinct planning study and simply shows the desired massing along the park's edge with a few 'details' thrown in. The second is how the architects (Arquitectonica, IIRC) have interpreted and realized that form. The winter garden is still in there, though it's lost its glass roof and has essentially been relegated to an enclosed, mid-block passage.

I'm not defending the building in any way (I'd prefer something like Atlantis or Imperial), but simply explaining how things came to be.

It's pretty simple actually. The building in the first image was generated as part of the wider precinct planning study and simply shows the desired massing along the park's edge with a few 'details' thrown in. The second is how the architects (Arquitectonica, IIRC) have interpreted and realized that form. The winter garden is still in there, though it's lost its glass roof and has essentially been relegated to an enclosed, mid-block passage.

I'm not defending the building in any way (I'd prefer something like Atlantis or Imperial), but simply explaining how things came to be.

It's funny how a general planning study with some "details thrown in" produced far better architecture than the actual design from the legitimate architect.

It's funny how a general planning study with some "details thrown in" produced far better architecture than the actual design from the legitimate architect.

You're assuming that people employed in their field of study have talent in that same field. That's often not the case.

Back