Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

It really does look like the wintergarden has been completely erased in favour of a practically undetectable walkway through the building - without even the benefits of a mall's high ceilings. Looking at the model, I can't even see it. I think it must be down to a few potted plants aside a waiting bench at this point.

I don't know why I let my hopes up. Has there been any public pedestrian walkway built by developers that hasn't turned out to be a cavernous, piss-soaked alleyway? (E.g. Bay Club, Vu, most likely Market Wharf).

It will most likely end up looking like a less glamorous version of this: http://goo.gl/maps/RqWZ9

So much for the winter-garden... Blech.

Also, that model, especially on the south end, reveals just how much spandrel the glazed portions (read: every surface) of the Aqualina building will have. Lovely.

I don't know why I let my hopes up. Has there been any public pedestrian walkway built by developers that hasn't turned out to be a cavernous, piss-soaked alleyway? (E.g. Bay Club, Vu, most likely Market Wharf).

Only a person who has never been to Vu or Market Wharf could have written this.

Do you think the walkway through Market Wharf is welcoming, Andrea? I've been past there several times and I've never felt remotely interested in using it as a shortcut.

Only a person who has never been to Vu or Market Wharf could have written this.
As someone who walks past both buildings quite often I can say that the 'pedestrian walkway" at Vu may not be a 'piss-soaked alleyway' but it is FAR less grand and inviting that it was on the earlier renderings and designs. The height was greatly reduced and it is really a bit more like a rat-hole leading onto a driveway.

The walkway at Market Wharf (that runs from Lower Jarvis to Market Street) is still not finished - or I hope it isn't) but it is not terribly attractive so far - I am holding my opinion on it until it's completed - and we see how often it gets cleaned.

Do you think the walkway through Market Wharf is welcoming, Andrea? I've been past there several times and I've never felt remotely interested in using it as a shortcut.

I think it is unfinished. I don't know how much of a welcome you expect from a shortcut.

I've given up on this passageway actually becoming an architectural feature. I'd be happy if they just build something attractive enough that people would actually want to use it rather than walk down to the waterfront or up to Queens Quay.

On that score, something like this might work: http://goo.gl/maps/o4okV.

I think the main thing is that the entrance needs to be large enough to allow sunlight to penetrate most of the tunnel and people need to be able to see through to the other side so they know they're not walking into a dead end.

And it will be game over if they decide to combine the pedestrian passageway with a parking garage entrance off Bonnycastle.

Another failure: http://goo.gl/maps/eqlAj

I don't know how much of a welcome you expect from a shortcut.

I think pedestrian connections should be a major consideration in a building's massing, not just a tunnel cut through the main floor of a building/ its vehicular circulation area.

Last edited:
How can you not love this pool and view? This is awesome sauce!

club-aqua-pool-deck.jpg

image from Tridel website

Aqualina at Bayside.jpg

image from Tridel website

Attachments

• club-aqua-pool-deck.jpg
    club-aqua-pool-deck.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 748
  • Aqualina at Bayside.jpg
    Aqualina at Bayside.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:
Well then that sucks for you. I plan on making friends that live here or buy in here myself just for the pool :p That's the beauty of condo living: having amenities such as this gorgeous rooftop terrace that one couldn't otherwise afford!

Back