News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Toronto and London Stock Exchanges to merge?

What do you think about the entire thing ? More specifically it's impact to Canada but more specifically Toronto ?

I've posted my views earlier in the thread (#38/50/52/58 are actually relevant, rather than my getting snarky with a fellow poster) but to sum it up -- I'm against. I don't think it would kill Toronto as Canada's financial centre, but I don't think it would be good for it. More importantly, I think the reasons (other than a cash grab) put forward are specious. London is just buying Toronto, the rest is window dressing -- and I would rather X stays in Toronto and stays independent.

http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/998636--olive-a-much-better-fate-for-tmx

If it succeeds, the rival bid for TMX Group Inc., owner of the Toronto Stock Exchange, will make history far beyond derailing a takeover offer for TMX made by London Stock Exchange PLC in February, supported by Royal Bank of Canada and Bank of Montreal.

The nine-member Maple Group Acquisition Corp., a consortium of four Canadian banks and five pension funds, seeks to further strengthen a TMX already regarded by investors worldwide as the “go-to” exchange for trading in resource firms, notably mining companies.

Current conventional wisdom has it that an urge to merge will result in a handful of global mega-exchanges.

Except that four of Canada’s Big Six banks immediately objected to the LSE-TMX combo. Added last year to Forbes’ ranking of the world’s 10 most influential financial centres, Toronto “does not depend on selling out or waiting for others to ‘save’ us,” said the objecting banks in an open letter.

In April, Canberra rejected an $8-billion proposed takeover of Australia’s principal stock exchange by that of Singapore. Citing a likely brain drain, Australian treasurer Wayne Swan nixed a deal he claimed would “risk seeing jobs and capital move to Singapore.”

That same month, the Taiwan Stock Exchange asserted its preference for internal growth, and for alliances to takeovers.

Mega-exchange mania has so far yielded cumbersome, debt-laden bureaucracies that have generated meagre investor returns. Surrendering our capital markets to a fad doesn’t seem an ideal economic strategy. TMX is a nation-building enterprise older than Confederation and poised for greater things than becoming a backwater.

Tom Kloet, the American recruited to run TMX only to try delivering it into foreign hands, claims an LSE deal will create a “globally competitive yet domestically focused capital marketplace.”

Which, as it happens, TMX already is.

TMX accounts for nearly six of ten publicly traded mining firms worldwide. Last year, they raised $17.8 billion in equity capital, about 60 per cent of the world mining total. Close to 200 foreign resource firms have their principal listings on TMX exchanges, though many lack Canadian assets.

By 150-year-old tradition, TMX is in the business of nurturing its staggering 1,531 listed mining firms into global giants like Barrick Gold Corp. and Teck Resources Ltd.

By contrast, mega-exchanges “won’t be as strong an advocate for the smaller companies in each country” as local exchanges have been, David Weild IV, former vice-chairman of Nasdaq OMX Group, world’s second-largest exchange, told the Wall Street Journal in April.

Which is only common sense. The revenue stream in fees from having a humongous Sun Life Financial Inc. listed on your exchange is equal to scores of Red Rocket Resources listings. Why would you cater to those minnows? Especially when you’re an LSE, whose culture is utterly foreign to doing so?

Some 10 per cent of those TMX-listed mining companies are international enterprises, owning more than 5,000 properties outside Canada. For the recent GTA graduate in geology, finance or engineering, Toronto is the gateway to the most challenging mining and energy projects worldwide.

And economic nationalism aside, as many as 20,000 people in the GTA already derive their living directly or indirectly from TMX.

Maple is trumping LSE’s bid by 15 per cent, in a $3.6-billion cash and share deal, compared with LSE’s all-share $3-billion bid. Among dealmakers, a superior bid like Maple’s would be enough said. But it’s how Maple justifies its premium price that makes its proposal in the national interest.

The future of exchanges isn’t mega-trading arenas, but “vertically integrated” ones. That is, holistic exchanges that can boast first-in-class prowess in stock trading, derivatives, and clearing and settlement of trades, taking a fee at every stage.

A deficient LSE covets both TMX’s Montreal-based derivatives and its TMX Venture Exchange. What TMX, like most exchanges, lacks is its own clearing and settlement business. That’s an asset that makes Deutsche Boerse the world’s second-most valuable exchange in market cap.

The Big Six banks and TMX are partners in CDS Inc., Canada’s stock-clearing operation. CDS would be folded into the new TMX by Maple. So would Alpha Group, a rival Big Six-owned exchange that has been draining market share from TMX.

CDS currently charges less for clearing than all but a handful of the world’s clearing systems — about a penny a trade. Deutsche Boerse charges 66 cents. Which explains why DB stock trades at a price-earnings multiple of 23, and TMX just 14.

Clearing systems are elaborate operations, costly to build and maintain. Which accounts for their monopoly status. Clearing and settlement would be a lucrative business for a new TMX if fees were raised. Since a new TMX’s bank part-owners would also be its biggest customers, the fees would be well short of DB’s, but enough to transform CDS into a profit centre. Meanwhile, the TMX market share siphoned off by Alpha over the past few years would come home.

The end game for the Maple architects would likely be to grow a healthier TMX by allying with other resource-oriented bourses itself. Such deals might not be takeovers, but mere alliances that don’t offend local sensitivities in places like Canberra.

There’s an opportunity for a Canadian-owned TMX to create a new type of global exchange. Rather than an amalgam of acquired exchanges bashed together, it would be modelled on the Commonwealth.

Back-office and other costs would be cut by spreading across a larger number of clients of TMX and exchanges in Sydney, Johannesburg, Santiago, Ghana, Lagos, São Paulo and Jakarta. All-important listing requirements and regulation would remain local. And expertise in financing, geology and infrastructure would be shared among half a dozen or more exchanges.

Do we really want all that economic activity so concentrated? Concentration actually is diluted by the pan-Canadian Maple bid, which limits the banks’ ownership to 25 per cent, with 35 per cent held by pension funds in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. As for competition, Alpha is only the largest of several rival “alternative trading systems” to TMX. And much of the trading in “dual-listed” Canadian stocks happens on the NYSE, to which international investors are more accustomed.

The big banks sounded their objections early to the LSE-TMX idea, sharing Duncan’s worry about the loss of what he rightly calls a “strategic asset.” The Maple proposal turns those concerns on their head. It not only retains local control of a strategic asset, but might just make TMX a global pioneer in cooperative exchange federations.

----

First article Ive really read on the issue...Im not really sure where I stand...but the Maple bid sounds good to me...

I think this is good news ...

Having said that I don't the maple bid would necessarily be good for Toronto either ... I think there was some mention of shifting some of the resources around given so I wouldn't be surprised to see more presence in Alberta / Quebec as a result of that deal.
That may be approved by shareholders but I think it'll have a tough time with the competition agency anyway.

Status quo may be the best thing for Toronto, not sure about the 'TXM' as a company i.e. for it's shareholders.

"We can take over your companies, but you can’t take over ours".

Why are we Canadians so afraid of people thinking that we act in our own self interest. Do you really think China or France or the UK in this instance give a damn about what other people think when they agressively bias decisions in their own strategic interests? Australia rejected the takeover of their exchange and rightly so.

P.S. Let's say 10 years from now TMX takes a run at LSE. There is a negative 20 percent chance that the UK would approve this even if LSE shareholders did.

P.P.S. Corporate Canada...stop being such pussies.

Exactly! This isn't about Canada's protectionist policies, which were never out of sync with how the rest of the world operated, but more on the triumph of shareholders' rights.

The market spoke against this deal, not Canada, not Ontario and not Quebec. TMX's shares have gone up by 2.5% when the merger was called off, LSE's on the other hand only went up about a percent.
The market understands the competitive advantages TMX holds and how its far more able to take care of its own destiny than to hitch a ride on a sinking ship. Yesterday's vote was historic, and will go a long way to pave Toronto's future global financial success.

EDIT: This is a rant, not intended to be 100% accurate, only 80%.

I recall, long ago, Industry Minister John Manley rising in question period after being accused of letting too many American companies buy out Canadian firms. His response was that Canadian firms were purchasing many American firms too and he specifically cited Northern Telecom's recent purchase of Bay Networks (yeah, that turned out great!). This was a big deal at the time in the Ottawa area, which was touted as "Canada's Silicon Valley" (RIM was just some bizarre company at the time that made these crazy blue portable email reading machines, which it has become once again.) Interestingly, emotionally detached observers could tell you the companies we were losing were crap. Remember Corel or Fitel? Neither do I. Or I wish I didn't.

I'm just reminded of that as the TSX is as much of a POS company as the losers foreigners bought off of us during tech bubble 1.0 (2.0 on now, everyone buy your LNKD shares yet?). It stifles competition every way it can. It stifles innovation every way it can. It's the Rogers of the financial industry. And just when things were starting to change. Just when a little fear was in their eyes, a national crisis of sovereignty arose that required they absorb all their competition. Goodbye Alpha!

Canadians just took one to the chin, while smiling because they were "protecting jobs" which two seconds thought (one second more than the average moron's capacity) would lead to the realization that they could not move away. I'm not saying the LSE merger should have been our goal!!!!! I'm saying what we did end up with is MUCH WORSE.

Toronto, a global financial centre? ROFL. Were akin to Bangalore in the big boys eyes, where you can outsource back office jobs, offer $30k and get 10,000 CFA, MBA, applicants.
I love the new RBC Dexia building. An architectural wonder. Where you can see every floor of Toronto's global financial industry: rows and rows of employees in cubicles on unfinished concrete floors and under unfinished concrete ceilings, moving money pixels back and forth at the direction of hedge fund managers in their Hampton's beach houses for 11 hours a day, wondering why a TTC bus driver earns more than their manager. Though the executive suites are nice. And RBCDs sales boys are hot.

So let's raise a glass to Toronto's future. The few that are enjoying the present are about to enjoy it even more.

/rant

Last edited:
I'm glad it's dead. And this country needs to be a lot more brash about protecting its interests. Let's see the Brits tolerate us buying LSE instead. Wouldn't happen. Moreover for all this talk of a merger of equals, every major newspaper elsewhere labelled it a buyout of the TSX.

As for the Maple Group, let the competiton bureau swat that down and we'll be back to status quo ante.

EDIT: This is a rant, not intended to be 100% accurate, only 80%.

You're absolutely right. It's not accurate because you have no clue what you're talking about.

I'm just reminded of that as the TSX is as much of a POS company as the losers foreigners bought off of us during tech bubble 1.0 (2.0 on now, everyone buy your LNKD shares yet?). It stifles competition every way it can. It stifles innovation every way it can.

Care to explain further? If not, it's because you're obviously in over your head and have no clue.

It's the Rogers of the financial industry. And just when things were starting to change. Just when a little fear was in their eyes, a national crisis of sovereignty arose that required they absorb all their competition. Goodbye Alpha!

What??? You do know the TSX board wanted to merge with the LSE. You do understand that very few countries have much competition when it comes to exchanges (actually no country other than the US does...........no wait the US doesn't either).

Toronto, a global financial centre? ROFL. Were akin to Bangalore in the big boys eyes, where you can outsource back office jobs, offer $30k and get 10,000 CFA, MBA, applicants.

The several New Yorkers who packed their bags for Toronto over the last 24 months says the exact opposite.

So to get this clear, you either just finished your MBA or CFA and finally realised how tough the competition is so you're stuck at a 40K job. PATHETIC.
People like you who complain complain complain will never get anywhere. There are thousands of high paying financial jobs in Toronto. If you're not qualified or don't know how to present yourself in an interview or are just a jack#ss then you'll never get anywhere in life and Toronto will always be to blame for that.

And i love how everyone speaks of a national crisis when more than a third of the shareholders are not Canadian and by 2020 it will be half.

Back