Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

That podium looks so wrong for this building. What were they thinking?

the towers are so dominant on the skyline and so vertically imposing that most people will probably never even notice there is a podium. agreed though, as you approach the buildings at street level and for the people living in these buildings and going in and out every day, a podium-less version would have been a whole lot sexier

5623889452_15dbda62a8_b.jpg

Finally I found a relationship to the 'bottle caps' colour atop Absolute World, it appears the powder green like spandrel around the mechanical penthhouse is similar to the spandrel used on the previous 3 towers, as seen in the foreground of drum118's photo above ~

^Not really. On a colour wheel, they are quite different.

The "Bottle Cap" colour on Absolute comes directly from the highlight spacer spandrel located on the balconies, running diagonally up the tower. They are very small and difficult to see, but also visible in that photo.

However, as a person who has an affinity for good designs, I can't help but feel let down by the tops of Ab World. They don't culminate properly in a natural progression of the curvy tower below. They just end in a flat top.

I would prefer a few other choices, but I think the best would have been a vaguely Art Deco, stepped, arched shape reminiscent of the top of the new Great American Tower in Cincinnati Ohio. Then lighted to accentuate the oval receding layers. That would be supremo in my books.

Please excuse the quick and dirty render I use to illustrate my preference.

tg9Gr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG
(Original courtesy drum118 )

Fine... There are practically an infinite amount of better ways to finish these towers than just a flat, off colour top...

How about a spiral like the one the yet-to-be-built London Pinnacle will have?

(Again, excuse the lazy 'Shop job. I should have matched the colour of the top but couldn't bother. You get the idea.)

EDIT: I couldn't stand the colour anymore so I went back and matched it better. ;)

Last edited:
nice one Traynor .... I like this spiral top much much more ~

However, as a person who has an affinity for good designs, I can't help but feel let down by the tops of Ab World. They don't culminate properly in a natural progression of the curvy tower below. They just end in a flat top.

I would prefer a few other choices, but I think the best would have been a vaguely Art Deco, stepped, arched shape reminiscent of the top of the new Great American Tower in Cincinnati Ohio. Then lighted to accentuate the oval receding layers. That would be supremo in my books.

Please excuse the quick and dirty render I use to illustrate my preference.

tg9Gr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG
(Original courtesy drum118 )

Traynor I really like your renders and all you contributions but after reading your recent critique of Trump and here stating you have an affinity for good design I honestly have to roll my eyes. These two toppers you came up with make Absolute look like a crazy
twisted penis or a drill bit.

Back