Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

You do know that the three hideous, Pinnacle-esque beasts behind what many seem to think is the whole Absolute complex (the two 'Marilyn' towers) were required to make the 'iconic' (wow, I hate that word) towers financially viable?

The project was always planned as five towers - initially the final two phases were intended to look similar to the first three towers. Hazel McCallion made a concerted effort for the developers to consider doing something 'different' at the Hurontario/Britannia intersection and the city provided a number of incentives to help sway the decision makers at Fernbrook and Cityzen.

With respect to the suggestion that the original three towers were required to make the final two tower financially viable - that really wouldn't be in the game plan for the developers. Each project would have to stand on its own merit to be deemed viable by both the developers and their financial partners – at the time sales started the psf was about $100 beyond the typical MCC prices, but still lagged behind central Toronto. Construction and engineering budgets however also would reflect the nature of the tower and given the unit prices I think some people may be holding onto very high expectation in terms of execution…

I don't think we'll see a lot of other developers follow this model in Mississauga, it is perceived as risky and the location isn't ideal for that type of 'open' competition - reading between the lines you may notice that there were very few 'A' or even 'B' list international architectural firms that participated in the competition - it was mostly a lot of unknowns, which can produce interesting results... but obviously there were reasons why the competition lacked those big names and reasons why this model hasn’t been replicated by other developers in other GTA locations.

The project was always planned as five towers - initially the final two phases were intended to look similar to the first three towers. Hazel McCallion made a concerted effort for the developers to consider doing something 'different' at the Hurontario/Britannia intersection and the city provided a number of incentives to help sway the decision makers at Fernbrook and Cityzen.

With respect to the suggestion that the original three towers were required to make the final two tower financially viable - that really wouldn't be in the game plan for the developers. Each project would have to stand on its own merit to be deemed viable by both the developers and their financial partners – at the time sales started the psf was about $100 beyond the typical MCC prices, but still lagged behind central Toronto. Construction and engineering budgets however also would reflect the nature of the tower and given the unit prices I think some people may be holding onto very high expectation in terms of execution…

I don't think we'll see a lot of other developers follow this model in Mississauga, it is perceived as risky and the location isn't ideal for that type of 'open' competition - reading between the lines you may notice that there were very few 'A' or even 'B' list international architectural firms that participated in the competition - it was mostly a lot of unknowns, which can produce interesting results... but obviously there were reasons why the competition lacked those big names and reasons why this model hasn’t been replicated by other developers in other GTA locations.

To further on that. It's hard to tell, because I can't find the previous site plan, but this shows how all 5 towers were going to be of similar design:

100.jpg

Also, Mike, it's Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe, not Britannia ;)

While driving by this morning, noticed that they have one of the concrete pump boom "things" at Absolute 1 (west of the core, along Hurontario). So that should make their job easier.

June 5

From Elm St and starting make itself known
IMG_june-05-09-0002.JPG

IMG_june-05-09-0104.JPG

Getting ready to pour the roof at ground level
IMG_june-05-09-0106.JPG

2nd Tower will not be out of the ground until July
IMG_june-05-09-0117.jpg

The pump was delivery last Friday as I was driving by and not been use yet
IMG_june-05-09-0127.JPG

IMG_june-05-09-0122.JPG

Form decking still has to be place to the left for this floor so it can be finish as well get the side wall up.
IMG_june-05-09-0108.JPG

IMG_june-05-09-0109.JPG

they were working on this tonight after 8:00pm....there must have been about 6 cement trucks lined up, lots of activity....

Interesting.
I wonder if it was for tower 2? They were almost at ground level last week.

Look at my photo's above and below and you will see tower 2 is no way near ground level yet. In July, yes.

Most likely pouring the 2nd lower parking deck shown in the photo's that were nearly ready for concrete last week. Still got all the sidewall to do be for they can even pour the ground floor.

IMG_june-05-09-0117.jpg

khristopher, it actually looked like they were working on tower 1 aka Marilyn....

khristopher, it actually looked like they were working on tower 1 aka Marilyn....

They are working on both. The lower level is the parking level for 2 and and it clearly shows a large area still without support as well rebar was been place from today posting as well last week.

Once they get the sidewalls done as well the framing been place for the ground floor, I would say we are near ground level. There is still about a month of work to be done until I can say this.

We are gound level when concrete is pour.

The 2nd tower will not take shape until ground level like tower 1

absolutely right, drum, but I was talking about what I saw driving by tonight....the trucks were turning off Burnhamthorpe, parking in the staging area where they usually park, and they were pumping concrete at Absoluteworld tower 1.....that was the point of my post - that it was interesting that they were working so late, i.e., at about 8:15pm...

Back