Toronto 77 Charles West | 65.83m | 16s | Aspen Ridge | HOK

It's hard to see it during the day, but walking by here at night with the exterior lights on the building revealed what appeared to be extremely shoddy craftsmanship on the stone podium. Maybe it is the materials, or maybe it's not done yet, but it looked bad.

18 October 2012: Me & my Galaxy Note camera got closer today:

20121018143024.jpg

20121018143102.jpg

20121018143210.jpg

I decided I like how it looks from Bay Street but the greystone podium is rather dull.

It's hard to see it during the day, but walking by here at night with the exterior lights on the building revealed what appeared to be extremely shoddy craftsmanship on the stone podium. Maybe it is the materials, or maybe it's not done yet, but it looked bad.

Until now I liked the podium as it blended with other stone podiums along the street. But examining the photos, it's odd above the car entrance. Is that limestone or cinderblock? What is happening there?

Last edited:
Until now I liked the podium as it blended with other stone podiums along the street. But examining the photos, it's odd above the car entrance. Is that limestone or cinderblock? What is happening there?

Good question, what is happening here? I took this photo back in 2011 (almost exactly a year ago) and this is what the stone podium looked like.

77charles-15-10-2011-3.jpg

Now it looks... odd.

That is bizarre. It's as if they sanded down the textured finish of the original product. Last minute decision to go for a more "modern" smooth stone feel? If so, it looks pretty bad.

I'd imagine if they'd sanded down the surface or replaced the "stone" someone would have caught it, but this project has been pretty under-the-radar, so it's tough to say. The finish is clearly different though, I'm very curious now.

There's now a pretty interesting chandelier in the main entrance. It is essentially an upside down old fashioned street lamp hanging from the ceiling, sort of like something you might see in Beacon Hill, Boston or some other very old part of town. It's also very large, at least 9 feet in length in my estimation.
My phone camera will not do it justice but I encourage anyone with a better one to take a shot for the good of the general UT public.

Looking at the second to last picture above, are they not re-doing the sidewalks?

Back